Amazon is taking over the free world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon is taking over the free world

The big box book chain stores are dying like flies, next target is the iPad and the publishers themselves.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/17/te...ted=all?src=tp
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    The big box book chain stores are dying like flies, next target is the iPad and the publishers themselves.

they throw you a bone and you're ready to put on your shill hat?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Songs from these 25 CDs you purchased from Amazon in the past are now available for you in Cloud Player for FREE
      Fleet Foxes, "Fleet Foxes" Slightly Stoopid, "Chronchitis" Taylor Swift, "Speak Now" Sublime, "40 Oz to Freedom"

The Avett Brothers, "I and Love and You" 311, "Music" 311, "311" Russell, Leon, "Will O'The Wisp"

View all 25 albums

Dear Mac Williams,

We thought you'd like to know that eligible songs from 25 CDs you have purchased from Amazon are being added to your Cloud Player library. This means that high-quality MP3 versions of these songs are available for you to play or download from Cloud Player for FREE. You can find your songs in the "Purchased" playlist. Please note that some songs from the above CDs are not eligible for this feature and may not be available in your Cloud Player library.

In addition, we're excited to announce AutoRip. Now when you buy any CD with the logo, all songs from the MP3 version of that album will instantly be delivered to your Amazon Cloud Player library for FREE.
      That's pretty awesome. I got that email just now.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

By the way, I bought that Leon Russell album from Amazon in January of 2000.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

"Soon, the world will be [Amazon]." I wish I had the strength to resist. Right now, I do not.
          Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
          --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

Well they're definitely taking over South Lake Union and the Denny Triangle. That area is blowing up.
            Last edited by MarkGrace; 01-28-2013, 03:51 PM.
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              That's pretty awesome. I got that email just now.
              I love Amazon Cloud player. Far superior to iTunes in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                I love Amazon Cloud player. Far superior to iTunes in my opinion.
                A big steaming pile of poo is far superior to itunes.

Comment

Counterpoint: Amazon sucks.

Has anyone noticed the new "Add-On" program at Amazon? Now certain products are ONLY available (as far as I can tell) when you make an order $25 or larger, if for Amazon Prime members. I just tried to buy a $5.95 item, which is available for free shipping w/ Prime, except that Amazon won't complete the order unless I add another $24.05 worth of products to my cart. So basically, for some items, Amazon Prime only gives you free 2-day shipping if you're buying more than $25 worth of goods. I can't even buy it if I offer to pay normal shipping.

Lame.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

So I checked and I am now able to order stuff from this new Amazon Prime Now (1 or 2 hour delivery) service...

We tested out Amazon's one-hour delivery service, and it worked so well it was a little creepy

With its latest mobile app, Prime Now, Amazon is one step closer to world domination.
                    With the app, which is available on iOS and Android, Amazon Prime subscribers have the option of free two-hour delivery — or delivery within an hour for $7.99. The app also encourages you to pay a $5 tip to the couriers.
                    Prime Now service finally launched for select zip codes in Austin on Wednesday, making it the sixth city in the nation to have it. Prime Now originally launched in New York City in late 2014, later expanding to Baltimore, Miami, Dallas and Atlanta.
                    In the name of journalism, The Daily Texan tested out the service by placing two separate orders for two very important items. The first was a Barbie Collector’s Edition Texas A&M University Ken Doll, at the request of Texan film critic Alex Pelham. The second was 125 feet of bubble wrap, because the Texan knows how to have fun. The first item was hyper-specific, the second big and bulky.
                    [...]
                    http://www.dailytexanonline.com/2015...-little-creepy

I think I'll order me up some bubble wrap!
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      I think I'll order me up some bubble wrap!
                      What? And pass on the Barbie Collector’s Edition Texas A&M University Ken Doll???
                      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                        What? And pass on the Barbie Collector’s Edition Texas A&M University Ken Doll???
                        Yeah, I'm not into that but it looks like Amazon has plenty of stock for you...

31k423AsIhL._SY355_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Barbie-Texas-U.../dp/B00E9VPQGY

The review look good too...

Came wrapped very safely and nicely in a box. Love this doll because I am an Aggie fan and so is my sister. I got two so she can have one too.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          Yeah, I'm not into that but it looks like Amazon has plenty of stock for you...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5761[/ATTACH]

http://www.amazon.com/Barbie-Texas-U.../dp/B00E9VPQGY

The review look good too...
                          A quick threadjack:
                          I had heard jokes, mostly from Longhorn fans, of Aggie cheerleaders yell leaders wearing janitor uniforms. At the time, I thought it was just a funny observation. But during parents' orientation for Freshmen students, the yell leaders had a part of the program and were explaining the origins of some of the many traditions at Texas A&M. When the yell leader explained that their uniforms really did originate from a janitor's closet, I started laughing and said to my wife that I thought that had been made up. Other Aggie parents didn't find my outburst amusing. There's a good chance I'll be attending another Aggie parents' orientation in a couple of years so I'll have to remember to behave myself. Laugh all you want about the yell leaders taking the place of cheerleaders and having to wear janitor uniforms, but they have a very good engineering college down in College Station.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

In the credit card thread, imanihonjin mentioned:

Also, if you use this card with subscribe and save (and have 5 subscribe and save subscriptions) you can save 20% on those subscribe and save items (15% for signing up for 5 subscribe and save items and 5% with your new amazon prime card). Pretty sweet deal on tons of items that you likely use and buy anyway.
                            I thought this sounded like a good deal, but I only have two things on subscription there:

1. Air filters for my furnace
                            2. Cleaning solution for my electric razor

Evidently I am missing out. What else do you all have on subscription at Amazon?

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                              What else do you all have on subscription at Amazon?
                              American Girl magazine. That's it. You don't have that on subscription?! You are missing out my friend.

We only have the virtual Amazon Store Card (5% back on all AMZN purchases), not the Visa Rewards card.
                              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Working...
                              X