No announcement yet.

Kids and cell phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We got our daughter a phone on her 12th birthday, and I'm glad. It's nice to be able to contact her and know she can contact us after mutual, etc. We imposed rules on times of use, and spot check her texts on occasion to discourage her from saying something in a text that she'll regret later. What we didn't see coming is her disguising her contact list - everyone in it is named after a character from the Harry Potter series.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I know that there are cell phones you can buy that will only dial the numbers that the parents pre-program in to them.
      Last edited by Realtall; 02-17-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
        We got our daughter a phone on her 12th birthday, and I'm glad. It's nice to be able to contact her and know she can contact us after mutual, etc. We imposed rules on times of use, and spot check her texts on occasion to discourage her from saying something in a text that she'll regret later. What we didn't see coming is her disguising her contact list - everyone in it is named after a character from the Harry Potter series.
        Smart girl you have on your hands
        I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
          Keep an eye on the text messages from that Draco Malfoy.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Sprint's got a deal now for 4 phones for $25/line. My wife's is through work, but if we got this, it'd mean a phone for me and Marley, and the boy and the blonde. He's 11, so, he's about ready for one. The blonde is 9 and I'm worried that it's going to change her. What's the current wisdom?

My son insists that he's the only kid in his middle school who doesn't have a phone.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              Sprint's got a deal now for 4 phones for $25/line. My wife's is through work, but if we got this, it'd mean a phone for me and Marley, and the boy and the blonde. He's 11, so, he's about ready for one. The blonde is 9 and I'm worried that it's going to change her. What's the current wisdom?

My son insists that he's the only kid in his middle school who doesn't have a phone.
              He probably is the only one. We give our kids a phone for their 13th birthday. They have no need for one before that. We keep one flip phone on hand at home that they can take when they go babysit or go to activities they need to call us from. They complain they are the only onesn with out a phone at school, but MJ and I don't care.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                He probably is the only one. We give our kids a phone for their 13th birthday. They have no need for one before that. We keep one flip phone on hand at home that they can take when they go babysit or go to activities they need to call us from. They complain they are the only onesn with out a phone at school, but MJ and I don't care.

What happens at 13 that doesn't happen at 12? Legit question.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

We do it in 6th grade. Its not a magic age, but that is the beginning of middle school where we live. My wife and I both work and it helps with communication after school. Most kids here have a phone by then.
                  Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I love, and my son hates, the app Screen Time. It lets me see what he is doing with his phone and puts time limits on and allows me to reward good behavior and allows me to complete dumb down his phone to calls only. It was a one time cost, I think of $40 and I will be able to add the other kids when they come of age. We start them with a flip phone for the first semester of middle school and make them earn a more useful one through grades/attitude.
                    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

The kid gets a cell phone for his/her birthday

It's an arbitrary cutoff but was also when we gave the oldest his phone. So now we just wait until then out of an arbitrary principle. They really don't care since we have two phones that have no cell service and they are allowed to play/text from those all they want...they just can't take them outside the home and they have to share them.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

There are phones which can do calls and texts, and then there are smartphones with data plans and apps and internet access, etc. Big difference between the two in my opinion.

My kids under 16 get whatever hand-me-down phone they can scrounge. If they manage to scrounge a used smart phone off someone (me, their mom, a friend, whatever) they get no data plan and are limited to wifi only. If they break their scrounged hand-me-down phone, tough cookies.

Once they turn 16, they get a new smart phone with a data plan for their birthday.

Comment

You should get all your kids iPhones, and only iPhones... but enable Restrictions on them.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                            I love, and my son hates, the app Screen Time. It lets me see what he is doing with his phone and puts time limits on and allows me to reward good behavior and allows me to complete dumb down his phone to calls only. It was a one time cost, I think of $40 and I will be able to add the other kids when they come of age. We start them with a flip phone for the first semester of middle school and make them earn a more useful one through grades/attitude.
                            Like, does it allow you to take over his phone and see what he's doing like gotomypc, or is it more of a checkbox thing?
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              You should get all your kids iPhones, and only iPhones...
                              I don't love them that much.

Comment

I don't love them that much.
                                The kids or the phones?
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X