No announcement yet.

Official Chicago Blackhawks thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Niemi's arbitration comes in at 2.75 million. Goodbye Anti Niemi, thank you for what you did for us next year but that is way overpriced. It is at least 1 million dollars too much. Welcome to the Corey Crawford era.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/news/story?id=5426100"]Arbitrator sets Chicago Blackhawks goalie Antti Niemi's salary at $2.75 million - ESPN Chicago[/ame]
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

funk, Corey Crawford? What about Mighty Marty Turco?

Also, what do you think about the news that the Blackhawks basically broke even last season?

)Chicago Tribune story explaining the Hawks' financial situation)
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
        funk, Corey Crawford? What about Mighty Marty Turco?

Also, what do you think about the news that the Blackhawks basically broke even last season?

)Chicago Tribune story explaining the Hawks' financial situation)
        If Turco costs more than about 1.25 million per season, don't want him. I'm not surprised the Blackhawks were in the red. THey had low season ticket prices to bring in fans after the Bill Wirtz era alienated everyone.

As long as they stay true to this promise, I'm cool with it.

"We're going to do everything we can to win," team President John McDonough said. "We want this to be a destination for free agents. We want this to be a place where players want to play. … We're going to charter our players (to away games) and we're going to stay in hotels that are going to be synonymous with a first-class operation. When Rocky and I first met, we talked about this commitment."
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
          If Turco costs more than about 1.25 million per season, don't want him. I'm not surprised the Blackhawks were in the red. THey had low season ticket prices to bring in fans after the Bill Wirtz era alienated everyone.

As long as they stay true to this promise, I'm cool with it.

"We're going to do everything we can to win," team President John McDonough said. "We want this to be a destination for free agents. We want this to be a place where players want to play. … We're going to charter our players (to away games) and we're going to stay in hotels that are going to be synonymous with a first-class operation. When Rocky and I first met, we talked about this commitment."
          You just might have your wish, funk, or at least pretty close. I thought I heard the Hawks offered him $1.75.

And there's no doubt you shouldn't be worried. It will take a few more playoff runs to recover from Bill Wirtz, but current management has them in a great position.
          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

You just might have your wish, funk, or at least pretty close. I thought I heard the Hawks offered him $1.75.

And there's no doubt you shouldn't be worried. It will take a few more playoff runs to recover from Bill Wirtz, but current management has them in a great position.
            Next year I honestly won't be surprised if we are barely a playoff team. This core is great but the salary situation is killer. Between Brian Campbell being overpaid and the 4 million of dead money in Toews and Kane's bonuses, next year will be rough.
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Looks like the Hawks will walk away from Niemi's 1 yr/2.75 mil contract and sign Turco for 1.75 instead.

They'll also release Huet, to the surprise and disappointment of nobody.

http://twitter.com/ChrisKuc/status/20144724174

(edit: as an aside, I'm ticked off that I almost clicked on an article from Bleacher Report that showed up in Google News.)
              Last edited by BoylenOver; 08-02-2010, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Looks like the Hawks will walk away from Niemi's 1 yr/2.75 mil contract and sign Turco for 1.75 instead.

They'll also release Huet, to the surprise and disappointment of nobody.

http://twitter.com/ChrisKuc/status/20144724174

(edit: as an aside, I'm ticked off that I almost clicked on an article from Bleacher Report that showed up in Google News.)
                They are overpaying for Turco by about 500,000, but I can live with this decision because it is a 1 year deal.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

TSN is reporting that the deal is only for 1.3 million. That means it is only 50,000 too much, which makes me happier with the signing. We are using the Detroit model right now. Make sure the skaters and blueline are great and don't worry too much about the goalie. It worked for us last year.
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Good point about Stan Bowman and how he handled his restricted free agents. I'm not all that concerned about losing Niemi. I would have been perfectly fine with starting next season with Crawford in net.
                    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blac...gent-decisions

They should have been proactive with Hammer and got him a decent contract offer up front. They act fast and they probably could have locked up Hammer in the 2.5 - 3.25 million dollar per season range.

Next season is going to be rough, but the core is still in place. I'm just wondering how the Hawks manage the cap and keep Seabrook next year. He is a player that we have to hold onto.

Tallon did some really great things with his scouting and draft picks, but he wasn't a numbers guy and he made some serious contract mistakes. Brian Campbell is great, but not 7 million per season great and that one is really hurting our cap. Here is hoping we can find a way to move him this season to allow us to keep Seabrook.
                    Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 08-02-2010, 10:03 PM.
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I'm thrilled with the Blackhawks offseason. We win the cup and bring basically the entire team back, only losing Bolland, Frolik, and Stallberg. Frolik is the only one that I really wanted back. I don't quite get dealing him and then signing Bulin for 2 million.

Blackhawks didn't make any long term reaches for salary. Bickell is looking like bargain at 4 million per year with a lot of the free agency craziness.

I love seeing the Blackhawks blueline locked up for another 2 years.

Stan Bowman is the best GM in hockey and the Blackhawks are the favorites next year for the cup.
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                        Patrick Kane has arrived. Gets the hat trick on an amazing goal.

Jonathan Toews has arrived as well, 2 goals in an elimination game.

It may not end this year, but this team is going to win a cup eventually. This team is very young and really damn good.
                        It is fun looking back and reading this thread. I was right, the Blackhawks were going to win a cup eventually. I could never have imagined the dynasty that Stanley Bowman was going to build in Chicago. The dark days were well worth the payoff.
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

congrats mpfunk. the 50-some-odd posts over the past 6 years are a testament to your long suffering!
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

RIP Stan Mikita
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Brent Seabrook retires.
                              https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...ent-15-seasons

I'm glad that he spent his entire career with the Blackhawks. He was instrumental to all 3 cup victories. During his prime, he was very underappreciated on the blueline. He got lost in Keith's shadow a lot and to a lesser extent even in Hjalmarsson. When you look at the Blackhawks 6-year run the core 6 players of that run were Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook, and Hjamlmarsson.

He definitely hit a wall in his career and his retirement and clearly him off the cap is definitely for the best for the Blackhawks.

It is really crazy to think that now Hossa, Seabrook, and Crawford are now all retired. Each of them had their career cut short by injuries.
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Yeah love him and appreciate him but not sad to see him go. Sad that he isn't 5 years younger
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                                X