No announcement yet.

The Atheism Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's see if my computer works better.

http://theweek.com/articles/552685/n...mber-than-ever

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• The Catholic Church must be true.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• It's the end of religion as we know it (and I feel fine)

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/16/the_...truth_partner/
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          It's the end of religion as we know it (and I feel fine)

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/16/the_...truth_partner/
          Some of us have seen this trend emerging for a long time. The religions that are most literal in their interpretation of scripture will fall the hardest. What might save Mormonism is its plasticity, its ability to reinvent itself. It's been a lot of years now since Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon were moved to the basement of the SL Temple Visitors Center. I remember when the new, since decommissioned, visitors center was built and they had Lehi, Nephi, Mormon, etc. talking robots like Disneyland. Those days are gone forever. lol
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• This always reminds me of atheism:

The queen, my lord, is dead.

MACBETH

She should have died hereafter;
            There would have been a time for such a word.
            To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
            Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
            To the last syllable of recorded time,
            And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
            The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
            Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
            That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
            And then is heard no more: it is a tale
            Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
            Signifying nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              This always reminds me of atheism:

The queen, my lord, is dead.

MACBETH

She should have died hereafter;
              There would have been a time for such a word.
              To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
              Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
              To the last syllable of recorded time,
              And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
              The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
              Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
              That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
              And then is heard no more: it is a tale
              Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
              Signifying nothing.
              L'Etranger by Camu brings out some similar thoughts, except the absurdity of existence gives it vitality.
              Last edited by Topper; 09-04-2015, 09:32 AM.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Arian Foster comes out as an atheist, is struck down by a non-contact Achilles rupture just weeks later. Don't tell me there's no God!!!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13...-believing-god

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  Arian Foster comes out as an atheist, is struck down by a non-contact Achilles rupture just weeks later. Don't tell me there's no God!!!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13...-believing-god
                  The fact he lasted this far into the season is a miracle in and of itself.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    The fact he lasted this far into the season is a miracle in and of itself.
                    To be fair, the big guy was busy with the end of the Michigan/MSU game, among other things. Full plate.
                    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• After School Satan club holds Utah open house at Vista Elementary

The After School Satan club has arrived at a Utah elementary school.

The Satanic Temple, a group that describes itself as “an atheistic religious organization that uses the symbol of Satan to inspire civil justice”, said the decision to spread their message in elementary schools is in direct response to Christian groups who operate after-school clubs in public schools.

The organization kicked off an open house Wednesday, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. The Tribune, media partner of KUTV, also spoke to Chalice Blythe, the chapter head in Utah of The Satanic Temple. The Tribune was denied access to the open house by the Granite School District.

"We are nontheistic, we don't actually worship a literal Satan," Blythe said. "We're very aware that not everyone is going to understand what it's about. They'll see the word 'Satan' and just make assumptions."
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• "They'll see the word 'Satan' and just make assumptions."

Well, yeah. That's what you want them to do. That way they'll realize the only way to keep Satan out of schools is to keep God out. I love these guys.

Comment

• Yeah, nothing inspires me to fight for civil justice like the symbol of satan.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Yeah, nothing inspires me to fight for civil justice like the symbol of satan.
                            Baphomet, actually. This guy would love to explain it to you and Megyn Kelly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmzgohHHQh4

*edit. Favorite line: "We see Satan as the symbolic embodiment of the ultimate rebel against tyranny."

Comment

• Hmmmmm, I don't think it's going to be that popular with the kiddies.

These people are loonier than Huckadope.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                Hmmmmm, I don't think it's going to be that popular with the kiddies.

These people are loonier than Huckadope.
                                This Utah group was on TV a couple of months ago. They came across as complete idiots. They also asked to have their faces obscured and the names kept secret. Seemed like a funny thing to do for a group interested in making some kind of public statement. Real courageous bunch.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X