The Atheism Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
    End of semester and busy marking, so not paying too close attention. My question was sincere. I found the use of the terms 'small magnitude' curious. I understand it's significance in the context of math, or even the cosmos. But as you say this is a social science research paper. As such its scope is not concerned with size in either of those contexts. Perhaps it is an oversight, missed in the editing process? Regardless, the qualifying term "small" does not negate that a magnitude, especially in its effect, is immense.

Again, in my opinion and in my experience, someone writing a social science paper doesn't just throw those terms in there willy nilly, or even merely to affirm effect size of marriage and religiosity on sexual satisfaction. The use of the terms strike me as more deliberate in their intent. Perhaps somewhere mentioned in the methodology the researchers provide more context and perhaps a citation to better explain the terms use?
    I found it through EBSCO, fairly easily. Maybe check your library's online journal selection and see if you can find the whole thing. I took your question as sincere, by the way.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Religiously unaffiliated showing up white Christians. Unfortunately LDS weren't included in the sample.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        Religiously unaffiliated showing up white Christians. Unfortunately LDS weren't included in the sample.

I'm almost glad LDS are not included. As the majority of LDS are outside the US, I'd like to see what the entire population of LDS think. It would be interesting to see the difference between American LDS vs. LDS outside the US. Better yet, what do the metrics look like when comparing LDS in Utah, Idaho, and Arizona (Jello Belt) vs LDS in all other states.

Comment

• Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
          I'm almost glad LDS are not included. As the majority of LDS are outside the US, I'd like to see what the entire population of LDS think. It would be interesting to see the difference between American LDS vs. LDS outside the US. Better yet, what do the metrics look like when comparing LDS in Utah, Idaho, and Arizona (Jello Belt) vs LDS in all other states.
          It would definitely be interesting. I'm so grateful I saw that tweet this morning as it gave me an opportunity to rewatch one of my all-time favorite conference talks, providing me with a renewed purpose and desire to serve.

There are highly charged arguments in governments and across society regarding what the definition of a refugee is and what should be done to assist the refugees. My remarks are not intended in any way to form part of that heated discussion, nor to comment on immigration policy, but rather to focus on the people who have been driven from their homes and their countries by wars that they had no hand in starting.

The Savior knows how it feels to be a refugee—He was one. As a young child, Jesus and His family fled to Egypt to escape the murderous swords of Herod. And at various points in His ministry, Jesus found Himself threatened and His life in danger, ultimately submitting to the designs of evil men who had plotted His death. Perhaps, then, it is all the more remarkable to us that He repeatedly taught us to love one another, to love as He loves, to love our neighbor as ourselves. Truly, “pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction” and to “look to the poor and the needy, and administer to their relief that they shall not suffer.”

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            It would definitely be interesting. I'm so grateful I saw that tweet this morning as it gave me an opportunity to rewatch one of my all-time favorite conference talks, providing me with a renewed purpose and desire to serve.

Amen! I loved that talk as well.

Comment

Working...
            X