The Atheism Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Strikes me as really odd to hold a convention for a group defined by not believing in something. I am trying to think of something comparable and I am coming up empty.

Convention for Sports Haters?
    Apathy Conference?
    Pessimist Conference?
    Convention for People Who Hate Comcast?
    Atheism is a religion...or at least Silverman's version is...
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Strikes me as really odd to hold a convention for a group defined by not believing in something. I am trying to think of something comparable and I am coming up empty.

Convention for Sports Haters?
      Apathy Conference?
      Pessimist Conference?
      Convention for People Who Hate Comcast?
      That last one would be SRO
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Do you ever see an old post of yours and have no memory at all of writing it? I hate that feeling. It only happens to me every once in a great while fortunately. Maybe it happens for posts dashed out during a conference call.

Still, I have yet to see a post I regretted.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Do you ever see an old post of yours and have no memory at all of writing it? I hate that feeling. It only happens to me every once in a great while fortunately. Maybe it happens for posts dashed out during a conference call.

Still, I have yet to see a post I regretted.
          I've regretted many of your posts.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            An atheist convention?

Lol these knuckleheads aren't fooling anyone. My guess is that most of them end up at ComicCon by Friday afternoon.
            What is not to love about ComicCon? A huge gathering of adorable nerds. When I scale the CK my world will be poplated only with ComiCon enthusiasts. There probably is a lot of overlap with the atheist convention, and as anticipated by the atheists. I expect few LDS will attend either event.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Lol @ athiests who think the Spirit can't provide knowledge. Don't atheists believe in science!

http://www.gregtrimble.com/science-b...he-holy-ghost/
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• My "giant wifi router in the sky" doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
                "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  Lol @ athiests who think the Spirit can't provide knowledge. Don't atheists believe in science!

Whatever. The spirit works through the parasympathetic nervous system. Or so the late Kent VandeGraff told me.
                  Last edited by Northwestcoug; 04-23-2014, 11:48 AM.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Lol @ athiests who think the Spirit can't provide knowledge. Don't atheists believe in science!

This would mean if God is on some other planet and he uses the spirit to communicate with us it would take him a long time (light years, anyone?) to respond to prayers. So get your requests in early.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I don't think that post is going to help his IT career much.:crazy:
                      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        Whatever. The spirit works through the parasympathetic nervous system. Or so the late Kent VandeGraff told me.
                        So it's the spirit that helps me take a dump?
                        "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          This would mean if God is on some other planet and he uses the spirit to communicate with us it would take him a long time (light years, anyone?) to respond to prayers. So get your requests in early.
                          I bet he uses an ansible.

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                          I'm sure he'd welcome that request as I can imagine he gets bored of the typical "please help me find my keys" requests.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                            Don't forget sexual arousal!

In all seriousness, I remember him referring to vasodilation as a component of the 'warm fuzzies' of the spirit, so he linked manifestations of the spirit with parasympathetic effects.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Checkmate, Atheists!
                              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                              - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                              - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Seems like as good a place as any for the motion: "Death is Not Final" a debate featuring "Proof of Heaven" author Eben Alexander, today at 6:45 ET. http://fora.tv/event/death_is_not_final/livestream

Looking forward to Eben exploding all of the atheist propaganda in this thread!

http://fora.tv/event/death_is_not_final/livestream
                                Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Working...
                                X