PAC12 Got Screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Haven't I made myself clear? My sole purpose is to help poeple.
    Here is some news for you binky, poeple don't want your help. Thanks anyway.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Ah, did you bring back the old Muslim bird flipper avatar just for me right now? That's sweet.

A good metaphor for BYU he is right now.
      Perhaps he is a good metaphor. But I don't think he is a Muslim. Although since you bring it up, I believe that you are a humanitarian in the same way that you believe that Islam is a religion of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
        BYU may end up beating a PAC-12 team before Utah does. Who'd a thought?

EDIT:

PS. Yes, BYU got its butt handed to it by a subpar Utah team. Yes, 54-10 is the ultimate, sad comeback to any knock by a Cougar against the Utes.

And yes, I will continue to laugh my head off at their 0-3 PAC-12 start, especially as I review all the threads where Utes talked about winning the conference in their first year. It's the ultimate Schadenfreude in an otherwise pedestrian BYU year. Heh.
        "Those who live by the crystal ball wind up eating ground glass."

-- Larry Sabato
        Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
        Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
        Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

Comment

Reviewing this thread reminds me how we no longer need BYU. We don't need to play them, we don't need to engage in these types of dumb (good word for it Lebowski) tits for tats with BYU fans. Who should put up with even these kinds of sophomoric titties from any fans? As we've learned the past three weeks, we shouldn't even be competing with them for the same recruits.

Maybe we should just erase BYU from our consciousness. I'd be okay with that. After beating BYU 54-10 this year I think I'm at liberty to say with complete credibilty that I detest the friggin rivalry. Really. We no longer need a "Holy War" with BYU any more than American needs one with Afghanistan.

I feel an ASU rivalry coming on strong.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
            Perhaps he is a good metaphor. But I don't think he is a Muslim. Although since you bring it up, I believe that you are a humanitarian in the same way that you believe that Islam is a religion of peace.
            I believe Islam is a religion of peace? Since when?

I am merely putting in context this very mean spirited attack on my alma mater made at a most telling and vulnerable time for BYU supporters (some of us who went to Utah recognize that our alma mater is vastly more important than the religion we were born into to the shaping of our mind and character and our ability to generate material comforts and security).

Viking led with his chin even while talking a lot smack. Do you expect me to do anything else than hit him hard right in the vulnerable spot he delivered to me?

A bout is not a time for Christian charity. The truth does hurt too. Texas isn't going to play Texas A&M anymore. Why should Utah play BYU any more?
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Hey SU, don't forget our bet on the basketball game.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Hey SU, don't forget our bet on the basketball game.
                I think about it all the time.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Why should Utah play BYU any more?
                  The Holy War has long allowed the two schools to draw a sharp distinction between the secular and religious. Every fall for the duration of our lifetimes we've been able to see this tension manifest itself on the field, in the stands and in our hearts. The HW has allowed the University of Utah to be a beacon to those in the state who feel oppressed by the dominant religion, more than it otherwise would have. They have always been the anti-BYU. I fear that if this contest disappears, the constant pull at the U to distinguish itself from BYU will eventually disappear. It will essentially become the state version of BYU with more and more fans like LAU joining the ranks. The U fanbase will become as bland and boring as what we have at BYU while the disenfranchised will seek projection elsewhere, perhaps they'll choose Colorado. So if you insist on the U staying true to it's identity, you will insist that the Holy War continue to be waged.

Comment

?
                    I think you missed that I was saying that you are not a humanitarian, and that you don't believe that Islam is a religion of peace. Your faux altruism is the most amusing/infuriating thing about you.

Now as for the attack...I agree that it is premature, ill considered, probably not accurate, and filled with bravado. But that is Viking.

But more to the point, I am with you in that I think BYU could use Utah for short term scheduling. But I don't think we need you as an impetus for being and to drive our fan base and we never have. I agree that you don't need us around and if I were you I would not play BYU, because you have a lot to lose.

Comment

I think you missed that I was saying that you are not a humanitarian, and that you don't believe that Islam is a religion of peace. Your faux altruism is the most amusing/infuriating thing about you.
                      Thank you.

Your last two posts may be your wittiest ever.

You probably missed my little jab at your father's betrayal.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                        The Holy War has long allowed the two schools to draw a sharp distinction between the secular and religious. Every fall for the duration of our lifetimes we've been able to see this tension manifest itself on the field, in the stands and in our hearts. The HW has allowed the University of Utah to be a beacon to those in the state who feel oppressed by the dominant religion, more than it otherwise would have. They have always been the anti-BYU. I fear that if this contest disappears, the constant pull at the U to distinguish itself from BYU will eventually disappear. It will essentially become the state version of BYU with more and more fans like LAU joining the ranks. The U fanbase will become as bland and boring as what we have at BYU while the disenfranchised will seek projection elsewhere, perhaps they'll choose Colorado. So if you insist on the U staying true to it's identity, you will insist that the Holy War continue to be waged.
                        Look, I care a lot about the end of life as we know it, but I can't worry about global warming and the end of the rivalry at the same time.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          It would be pretty funny if it played out that way wouldn't it?

Comment

It would be pretty funny if it played out that way wouldn't it?
                            YOhio is a funny guy. The Holy War might play out the way he describes as likely as the film Groundhog Day might play out in reality.

As I've tried to explain, football is the flea on the hound's back at a UNIVERSITY like Utah.

If anything, the tide of history is moving so strongly against BYU that it will either become more secular (as other religious schools like Georgetown and Notre Dame have done, having lay trustees and even presidents (in Georgetown's and Boston College's case), openly gay student groups, etc.), or it will be further marginalized, maybe even to irrelevance.

The good news for you progressive Mormons is that every time the LDS church has been confronted with a similar crisis it has moderated.

I don't understand why there isn't a strong movement by progressive BYU alumni to remove BYU from status of a department of the LDS Church. That's the way it should be "independent". I assure you that this is the crux of the obstacle to Big 12 or Pac 12 membership. BYU should be independently governed and funded even as it calls itself a Mormon school.
                            Last edited by SeattleUte; 10-09-2011, 10:24 PM.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

The premise of this thread is that Utah isn't so different from BYU in culture, that which scared off the PAC10 from BYU. And instead, they got a lesser institution with generally the same baggage.

Utah, ergo, is sort of like a poorly constructed trojan horse.

Re-focus and discuss

Comment

I am merely putting in context this very mean spirited attack on my alma mater made at a most telling and vulnerable time for BYU supporters (some of us who went to Utah recognize that our alma mater is vastly more important than the religion we were born into to the shaping of our mind and character and our ability to generate material comforts and security).

Viking led with his chin even while talking a lot smack. Do you expect me to do anything else than hit him hard right in the vulnerable spot he delivered to me?

A bout is not a time for Christian charity. The truth does hurt too. Texas isn't going to play Texas A&M anymore. Why should Utah play BYU any more?
                                I agree that there's no point for these two universities to play each other.

The vast majority of our alumni base is from locales other than Utah and as your base is basically Utahn, what's the point? None of us (the non-Utahns) care about Utah.

We need to play better schools, in any event, similar to what you are doing.

Yes, you killed our fragile quarterback but I'd like to see that game played with Nelson instead. It would have been a much better game for all of us.

Comment

Working...
                                X