PAC12 Got Screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
    Another article on how the PAC12 isn't any good at anything though the author misses out on the main point that everything sucked after they added Utah.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...compete-on-it/
    BYU should offer $240MM in cash for full membership. It's not the $500MM the PAC is looking for but they don't have to give up any equity for it. BYU is an extra mouth to feed but also brings added value/content that mostly offsets what the PAC will have to pay out. A 10% equity owner, especially if its a hedge fund type, would be a much bigger mouth to feed.

The PAC pays out $30MM/year to its members for media rights. You would offset that against what BYU is currently getting ($8MM - $10MM) for a net of $20MM improvement on that side. Other revenues should increase as well (attendence in both basketball and football). The ROI would be less than 10 years.

This is BYU's opportunity. All of the talk about our "fit" in the PAC 12 goes out the window if we are the answer to a financial problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
      BYU should offer $240MM in cash for full membership. It's not the $500MM the PAC is looking for but they don't have to give up any equity for it. BYU is an extra mouth to feed but also brings added value/content that mostly offsets what the PAC will have to pay out. A 10% equity owner, especially if its a hedge fund type, would be a much bigger mouth to feed.

The PAC pays out $30MM/year to its members for media rights. You would offset that against what BYU is currently getting ($8MM - $10MM) for a net of $20MM improvement on that side. Other revenues should increase as well (attendence in both basketball and football). The ROI would be less than 10 years.

This is BYU's opportunity. All of the talk about our "fit" in the PAC 12 goes out the window if we are the answer to a financial problem.
      I’ll chip in $10 to make this happen.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
        I’ll chip in $10 to make this happen.
        I think it works out to $15 for every MOTCOJCOLDS. Totally worth it.

Comment

• lol

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• PAC12 is in shambles.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...s-in-shambles/

Comment

Another article on how the PAC12 isn't any good at anything though the author misses out on the main point that everything sucked after they added Utah.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...compete-on-it/
              I would love to see Larry Scott attempt to sell the PAC-12 Network on Shark Tank

Comment

• Larry living large.

Funny portion from the article.

There’s a Saturday-morning Pac-12 meeting scheduled at ARIA. The Pac-12 athletic directors and presidents and chancellors will join Scott and discuss a variety of conference matters. Five years ago when Scott met with his ADs in Las Vegas he had a terse, but telling, exchange with then-Utah athletic director Chris Hill.

Hill, dissatisfied with revenue, pressed Scott on the financials of the conference. He was cut off by the commissioner at the knees, according to others in the room.

Scott sniped: “You’re lucky for what you get.”

Comment

• Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. Larry is a hog and the presidents need to remove him.
                  "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Pac-12 Networks: Budget projections show decline in revenue, flat year-over-year payouts to the schools

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/...o-the-schools/

Comment

Pac-12 Networks: Budget projections show decline in revenue, flat year-over-year payouts to the schools

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/...o-the-schools/
                      I guess it is OK that my local cable provider, AT&T U-Verse, dropped the dumb Pac-12 network... BYU plays all three Pac-12 teams at home this year so no chance I'll need it this year.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The Pac 12 sucks because they all suck...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Yikes. Should have gobbled up Texas and Oklahoma and killed the Big12 when it had the chance.

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                            Yikes. Should have gobbled up Texas and Oklahoma and killed the Big12 when it had the chance.

Maybe this will help the PAC 12 find religion?

Comment

• https://www.mercurynews.com/does-the...imited-at-best

Maybe SU is correct — the university presidents in the PAC-12 just don’t care about sports. UCLA is set to join Cal in running massive budget deficits.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                                https://www.mercurynews.com/does-the...imited-at-best

Maybe SU is correct — the university presidents in the PAC-12 just don’t care about sports.
                                This is absolutely true. They tolerate sports only to the extent they had to.

Recently I had a conversation with a highly educated person about colleges. She was convinced that Clemson is a crappy college. Then she was surprised when I showed her it's a very respectable #70 on US News--especially for a public school. (BYU is #77.) Her reason for thinking that? Clemson has a great football program.
                                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                                X