CUF Concert Brag Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
    Ugh, mentioning Radiohead in the same sentence as Weather Report is a huge insult to Radiohead. Also, Branford Marsalis may be very talented but his music is boring. Even when he did stretch out, he was still boring.
    Well, it was meant as a compliment.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
      I saw Peter Breinholt. Nothing can top that in terms of embarrassing admissions.
      I've, uuuhhhhh, seen Peter Breinholt many times. That one I am a little embarrassed about.

I also saw Phish at the E Center in 97 or 98. I think they played about 8 songs and it lasted about 3 hours.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

First concert, at 14 or 15 years old, was Roger Waters. Rod Stewart was supposed to play guitar for him, but was sick, so he got an old friend to fill in: Eric Clapton. First half of the concert was Pink Floyd stuff, and was dug by all in attendance. Second half was all Waters solo stuff, and was greeted with mostly silence and looks of unfamiliarity. Although that also may have been because every single person (literally) that I saw in our section was smoking dope except for me and my three friends.

When I was 18 I saw the Violent Femmes at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago, with young Dwight Yoacam as the opening act. Shockingly, Femmes fans did not care for Dwight's music. Things went downhill quickly and the guitarist almost got in a fight with several fans.

A few days later I went to see Siouxsie and the Banshees. Being a white suburban Mormon, I didn't have a lot of appropriate clothes, so I decided to wear the concert shirt I had bought at the Femmes' show and blue jeans. That was not a great decision, as I was the only person in the general admission area wearing white, or any color other than black. Plus this girl in front of me had very spiky hair that kept hitting me in the face. So all in all, not that enjoyable.

I saw the B-52s at BYU, which was, I blelieve one of the last halfway decent bands to put on a show there. The crowd really liked "Your Own Private Idaho".

Also while at BYU, I went up to SLC twice within a few weeks to see REM and Midnight Oil, which may the the most combined sanctimonious self-righteousness to which I have ever been exposed in a calendar month. Given that I spent six years at BYU, that is saying something. Both were good shows, though. Well, REM was a very good show. Midnight Oil was probably just an OK show, but when you are a student living in Provo, your standards tend to be grateful for anything you can get.

Comment

I regret missing out on that Smokin' Grooves concert in SLC. I did make the next year when George Clinton was on the tour, but the overall lineup that year just wasn't as good.
          Yep. George Clinton>>>>>Ziggy Marley, and I did meet DJ Muggs after the show in 97, but that tour also did an alternating opener of Brand New Heavies, the Pharcyde, and Outkast. Guess which one landed on Salt Lake?
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I think my first concert without parents was The Connells at Salt Air. Opening act was 13 Engines.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

First Concert was Rick Springfield with Tommy Shaw opening. I believe it was the Living in Oz tour. Concert was at The Salt Palace.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                I think my first concert without parents was The Connells at Salt Air. Opening act was 13 Engines.
                was this in the mid 90s? I went to that, I think. For the "Ring" album?
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  was this in the mid 90s? I went to that, I think. For the "Ring" album?
                  That's the one. 74/75!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                    Yep. George Clinton>>>>>Ziggy Marley, and I did meet DJ Muggs after the show in 97, but that tour also did an alternating opener of Brand New Heavies, the Pharcyde, and Outkast. Guess which one landed on Salt Lake?
                    I was similarly pissed off. Although, I seem to remember the Brand New Heavies actually playing in SLC, but I could be wrong.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Tim and I went to see Collective Soul at the Salt Air in August 1997. I got out of the car, and exclaimed in a loud voice, "HOLY SHIT! IT SMELLS LIKE ASS."

A very pretty girl getting out of the car next to ours snapped back, playfully, with a giggle, "Not my ass!"

Our curiosity piqued, I think Tim said something like, "I'll be the judge of that." She rolled her eyes and walked away, leaving us to use our other senses in a failed, but longingly long, synesthesia. The way she walked smelled like roses.
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I was similarly pissed off. Although, I seem to remember the Brand New Heavies actually playing in SLC, but I could be wrong.
                        haha that's why I was mad! there was a 66% chance of either seeing the Pharcyde or Outkast and we get BNH. Not that they were terrible, but just terribly boring to me compared to the rest of the lineup.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                          My first concert was Neil Sedaka opening up for The Carpenters at Ricks College. Our scout troop got tickets and went to it. It was out of control.
                          lol.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

My first concert was Deep Purple in the Salt Palace. I was 13-14 years old. I think I was high for a couple of days from second-hand smoke. Rod Stewart was the warm-up act.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

First concert was Bon Jovi "Slippery when Wet" Cinderella opened. Next was Iron Maiden, "Seventh Son" with Guns n Roses opening. Best concert that I have been to was Van Halen " Right Here, Right Now" at wolf mountain
                              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

I saw REM at the Delta Center during the Monster tour.

I also saw Tom Petty there maybe a year later. I had to wait in line at Smiths for a wristband!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X