CUF Concert Brag Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
    Saw Smashing Pumpkins the other night on the tour opener and it was spectacular. James Iha is back and the band was wailing at full throttle, with the addition of some cinematics and theatrics added to the show courtesy of pre-filmed set pieces, backdrops, and little stage hand-assisted flourishes. They stayed mainly with the big hits and only focused on the first six albums (91-99) and everybody went home happy. I'm long since sick and tired of the hits myself and go for the deep cuts, but the show they put on set everything in a new light and they sounded fantastic. To think just a couple years ago Billy was probably ready to hang up the Pumpkins and go down a different road b/c he seemed tired of it-- I don't know if I've ever seen a more enthusiastic and energetic show. And they rocked for over three hours- 31 songs- with very few breaks, very little filler, monstrous, downright abusive drumming by Jimmy Chamberlin, and the obligatory excessive guitar heroics/wankery from Billy. I was in heaven. The darkness before the encore itself was only a minute or 2- just long enough to get a drink and change guitars. I have a few more dates circled on this tour so I can soak it in a little more.

Cool. It's good to see that Corgan can at least be reasonable with 2/3 of the original line up. I'm pretty sure Peter Hook's son is their touring bassist right now.

Comment

• Went to see Imagine Dragons with my sons last night. Opening act was Grace Vanderwaal, who was the 12 year old that won AGT with her original songs and her uke a couple years ago. Seems like a sweet kids but a lousy concert act. no presence.

The dragons were fine. Reynolds has a better voice than I expected but they processed his vocals so heavily that iot was hard to be sure, at times. pretty muddy sound which I attributed to pre-recorded tracks being thrown in. A very oddly slow and lugubrious cover of part of the police's Every Breath You take. ANd the show languished a bit in the middle. But, on balance, it was a fun show at this venue, where we were on the grass and had groupon cheap tickets.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I saw Jack White last night at the Chelsea Tower inside the Cosmopolitan. Super cool venue. The floor literally bounces with the crowd.

Jack was great. Played a nice mix of new stuff, White Stripes stuff, a couple Raconteurs songs, and a cover of two. No Dead Weather songs, unfortunately.

Very fun show. He basically took the stage and didn’t stop playing until the set was over. Lots of funky jams and riffs between songs, which would eventually segue into another song. It was fun to see how soon you could recognize the next song. Most of the time for me it was not until the actual song started playing.

They then played a 4-5 song encore, ending with Seven Nation Army. What an ending. The place was completely rocking, literally and figuratively. Tons of energy and tons of fun.

His current she-drummer, Carla Azar, kicks arse. Seriously, she was amazing. I was so impressed that she was the first thing I looked up when I got my phone back (yep, no phone concerts are a thing, I guess). I never saw the Stripes when Meg was the drummer, but I’d be surprised if she was as good as this lady.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          I saw Jack White last night at the Chelsea Tower inside the Cosmopolitan. Super cool venue. The floor literally bounces with the crowd.

Jack was great. Played a nice mix of new stuff, White Stripes stuff, a couple Raconteurs songs, and a cover of two. No Dead Weather songs, unfortunately.

Very fun show. He basically took the stage and didn’t stop playing until the set was over. Lots of funky jams and riffs between songs, which would eventually segue into another song. It was fun to see how soon you could recognize the next song. Most of the time for me it was not until the actual song started playing.

They then played a 4-5 song encore, ending with Seven Nation Army. What an ending. The place was completely rocking, literally and figuratively. Tons of energy and tons of fun.

His current she-drummer, Carla Azar, kicks arse. Seriously, she was amazing. I was so impressed that she was the first thing I looked up when I got my phone back (yep, no phone concerts are a thing, I guess). I never saw the Stripes when Meg was the drummer, but I’d be surprised if she was as good as this lady.

You douche bag, I would have wanted to go to that show.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I saw Jack White last night at the Chelsea Tower inside the Cosmopolitan. Super cool venue. The floor literally bounces with the crowd.

isn’t jack on record that meg was a shitty drummer and basically a novelty role?
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              isn’t jack on record that meg was a shitty drummer and basically a novelty role?
              Perhaps. I don’t know their history all that well, though I thought I remembered him saying that Meg was an amazing drummer but they intentionally kept the drum beats simple in the WS songs.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Ugh. Love me some Jack White. I was going to go to this show in phoenix but got sold out of the pre-sale b/c I was lazy.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

That’s my recollection. And, even if it isn’t on record, her body of work says so.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I don't think he ever said that about Meg. However, that is exactly how she was supposed to play. JW's philosophy for the White Stripes was setting defined boundaries and parameters designed to squeeze extra effort and creativity from him. He used that garbage Airline guitar, restricted the band's aesthetic to red and white, placed his mic stand just a little bit too far away from the piano, etc etc etc. Having his wife/ex wife as the drummer when she clearly is no seasoned musician was just one more way to achieve his goal in that respect.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      You douche bag, I would have wanted to go to that show.
                      Sorry, bro. I was essentially a tag along with a friend who had an extra ticket.

Comment

• My wife is a huge Brandon Boyd fan girl. So we went and saw Incubus. They're always entertaining. And Brandon made Gidget's dreams come true when he removed his shirt for the second half of their set. The opening act was Spirit Animal and they were rad. The coolest part was the venue. Saw it at The National in Richmond. All GA and small and intimate. I will definitely be looking for more shows to attend there.

"Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

• I heard this a few years ago, and I cannot not hear this when I think of Seven Nation Army:

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

Sorry, bro. I was essentially a tag along with a friend who had an extra ticket.
                            I guess you tagged along with Jimmy this morning too. [emoji58]
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• CUF Concert Brag Thread.

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              I guess you tagged along with Jimmy this morning too. [emoji58]
                              He tagged along with me. His best round, maybe ever. I broke 80. 🏌️⛳️

Comment

He tagged along with me. His best round, maybe ever. I broke 80. [emoji959]️[emoji466]️
                                But par 70. [emoji16]

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X