General Conference Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
    I dread smaller wards. Not sure who is wishing for that. If they are, they are dumb. We have a smaller ward for Davis County. I have three callings. That’s fine because I know it’s not forever. With smaller wards, it would be. More callings, more talks, more everything. If that is what happens I’ll support it and do my part, but I certainly don’t hope for it.
    I think that two hour church goes really well with smaller wards. So my hopes are up a little bit, given that the recent push is to have smaller wards, that we might get two hour church. It would also help to fit more wards in one building, so there is a cost benefit to it as well.

Ever since the requirement to have two teachers in each youth class, our ward has struggled to comply. We have enough, but gospel doctrine is sparse. If you completely eliminate Sunday school, you free up a lot of bodies for other callings and/or service and you can get by with smaller wards.

As some anecdotal evidence, our stake just started up weekday adult Sunday school/institute type classes. I’m praying they were inspired to do this to supplement the loss of Sunday school during the Sunday block
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      I think that two hour church goes really well with smaller wards. So my hopes are up a little bit, given that the recent push is to have smaller wards, that we might get two hour church. It would also help to fit more wards in one building, so there is a cost benefit to it as well.

Ever since the requirement to have two teachers in each youth class, our ward has struggled to comply. We have enough, but gospel doctrine is sparse. If you completely eliminate Sunday school, you free up a lot of bodies for other callings and/or service and you can get by with smaller wards.

As some anecdotal evidence, our stake just started up weekday adult Sunday school/institute type classes. I’m praying they were inspired to do this to supplement the loss of Sunday school during the Sunday block
      We have the same problem in my ward with Gospel Doctrine, and since I'm one of the two teachers, it's tough. I put quite a bit of time into my lessons and to have very few people show up, mostly because they are helping out in primary or attending the hallway class, it can be discouraging, that's for sure. I also appreciate having different perspectives, and most of the people they ask to help in primary are the ones who are willing to talk or read a scripture/quote.

One thing I did notice the other day is that if you look on the app, the only SS manuals that are available are Old Testament...and I'm pretty sure that has not always been the case. Smoke? Either way, I read one speculation that the church is going to focus more on self study, home study, etc. So perhaps this all fits into that.
      "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• damn. i hate that i let rumors such as 2 hour church get my hopes up. instead they are going to announce that mutual can now be held on Thursday in addition to Wed and Tues.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• The First Presidency will apologize for racist past doctrines, which will cause SeattleUte to ask for a brief adjournment mid-deposition in order to gather himself. Slowly he will be told in his heart and in his mind that he needs to return to the faith of his fathers. Fast forward two years: he will be sitting in Legacy seating at LES watching family lead the mighty Cougars to an undefeated season with their ticket punched to the college football playoff championship! Bookmark this post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            It would be funny if a 2 hour block was announced, only to 'reschedule' SS during the week.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
              The First Presidency will apologize for racist past doctrines, which will cause SeattleUte to ask for a brief adjournment mid-deposition in order to gather himself. Slowly he will be told in his heart and in his mind that he needs to return to the faith of his fathers. Fast forward two years: he will be sitting in Legacy seating at LES watching family lead the mighty Cougars to an undefeated season with their ticket punched to the college football playoff championship! Bookmark this post.
              Is it bad that the part of that I want most to be true is the undefeated/CFP season?
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                It would be funny if a 2 hour block was announced, only to 'reschedule' SS during the week.
                That's not funny at all.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  damn. i hate that i let rumors such as 2 hour church get my hopes up. instead they are going to announce that mutual can now be held on Thursday in addition to Wed and Tues.

Comment

• I'm hoping for more church, with the brethren saying this experiment of single block church since 1978 has been a mistake, and that we need to get back to early morning priesthood, Sunday morning sunday school, and afternoon Sacrament meeting. The Saints have failed to keep the Sabbath Day holy, and they need to get back to basics until we get it right.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• I have a testimony that in at least one dimension, Clack is the prophet.

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        I'm hoping for more church, with the brethren saying this experiment of single block church since 1978 has been a mistake, and that we need to get back to early morning priesthood, Sunday morning sunday school, and afternoon Sacrament meeting. The Saints have failed to keep the Sabbath Day holy, and they need to get back to basics until we get it right.
                        Hopefully we can get back to the days when we could attend priesthood, swing over to KFC to grab a bucket of chicken for a picnic lunch, take a nap and watch some football, head over to the chapel for Sacrament Meeting, and then swing by the ice cream shop for a post-sacrament treat. Sunday was definitely better back when we used to keep the Sabbath Day holy.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Hopefully we can get back to the days when we could attend priesthood, swing over to KFC to grab a bucket of chicken for a picnic lunch, take a nap and watch some football, head over to the chapel for Sacrament Meeting, and then swing by the ice cream shop for a post-sacrament treat. Sunday was definitely better back when we used to keep the Sabbath Day holy.
                          I only have fleeting memories of pre-block church. But I do remember the eating out rules on Sunday were pretty lax.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            I only have fleeting memories of pre-block church. But I do remember the eating out rules on Sunday were pretty lax.
                            I actually have no memories of them, since the 3-hour block pre-dates my birth. But I've heard all about them.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Maybe this General Conference they'll forgo structural/process announcements and instead focus on Christlike attributes like loving your neighbor, being kind, having faith and repenting of your sins. Would probably be a bridge too far for some of you on this board.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                                One thing I did notice the other day is that if you look on the app, the only SS manuals that are available are Old Testament...and I'm pretty sure that has not always been the case. Smoke? Either way, I read one speculation that the church is going to focus more on self study, home study, etc. So perhaps this all fits into that.
                                Everyone's just moving to the Come Follow Me curriculum, right? That would explain why the old SS manuals are gone. I doubt that after spending a lot of effort to create the new materials for Come Follow Me, it will all be scrapped.

Am I the only one that doesn't mind 3 hours of church meetings per week? Granted, I haven't attended Gospel Doctrine for a few years b/c I've had a few callings to teach Primary and then SS to teens, but unless I'm in a grumpy mood 3 hours doesn't seem that bad.
                                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Working...
                                X