Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: General Conference Predictions

I see mormonchannel.org is still up.

I wonder if there’s a power struggle in the 15. Oooh, palace intrigue!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yeah, again I have to agree with Clack on this. This seems very fishy indeed. There is no other instance that I can think of where the church's leaders failed to act for many years, only to have a new prophet "fix" the mistake that had been around for decades. It kind of makes me wonder if the whole thing is made up.
    Agreeing with me is one thing, (as is your chosen method of rebuttal) but it also makes me wonder what we're doing today that will be course corrected decades from now? Too many late date changes only makes you wonder what the future holds. I'll give you an example. There's no particular reason that 12 -16 year old girls cannot pass the sacrament. It's not a priesthood duty, it's a convenience to the congregation. Why not let the young ladies participate with serving the sacrament to the recipients? I think there's lot's of things out there that are like this... where women can participate more fully in the administration of the church, and am pretty sure that some old time barriers will yet fall. Do we have to wait another 50 years until we have a millennial prophet tell us that the Lord told him that women are equal to men?
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 10-07-2018 at 12:41 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

can you imagine how totally offended jesus must have been about meet the mormons
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Default General Conference Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Agreeing with me is one thing, (as is your chosen method of rebuttal) but it also makes me wonder what we're doing today that will be course corrected decades from now? Too many late date changes only makes you wonder what the future holds. I'll give you an example. There's no particular reason that 12 -16 year old girls cannot pass the sacrament. It's not a priesthood duty, it's a inconvenience to the congregation. Why not let the young ladies participate with serving the sacrament to the recipients? I think there's lot's of things out there that are like this... where women can participate more fully in the administration of the church, and am pretty sure that some old time barriers will yet fall. Do we have to wait another 50 years until we have a millennial prophet tell us that the Lord told him that women are equal to men?
    I agree that young women should be allowed to pass the sacrament... but not during the seven days they are unclean because of their issue of blood.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 10-07-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    can you imagine how totally offended jesus must have been about meet the mormons
    The devil was thrilled!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That I sustain him even when I disagree? Yes.

So giving him a pass is equivalent to sustaining him? That should make it a lot easier.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    A couple of women are signing off Facebook for 10 days, as per a Nelson talk. Was that a challenge just for the women?
    It was actually directed towards the youth, and it was more than a month ago (if we are talking about the same talk). My ward recently extended the challenge to the adults as well.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Reader’s Digest version of Oaks talk? My active TBM friends are all-a-flutter.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    A couple of women are signing off Facebook for 10 days, as per a Nelson talk. Was that a challenge just for the women?
    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    It was actually directed towards the youth, and it was more than a month ago (if we are talking about the same talk). My ward recently extended the challenge to the adults as well.
    Im guessing neither of your wives went to the women’s meeting last night?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Haha, right on my account.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

They seem to be trying to get away from the label "Mormon"

Imagine if Catholics didn't want to be called Catholic or Muslims didn't want to be called Muslims.

An uphill battle.

Haha, right on my account.
    https://fox13now.com/2018/10/06/lds-...-social-media/

My wife is the social media manager for my firm, so that's gonna be a no for us, dawg.

Nope!

Also, President Nelson looks spry!

I watched the announcement including a video of priests breaking bread without gloves. Would be ideal for a study of rates of influenza transmission in Mormon wards.

Would map out seating of parishioners, and correlate with who broke bread on which trays.

Then compare with timing and rates of influenza infection among non-Mormon residents of the same neighborhoods / communities.
    Last edited by ByronMarchant; 10-07-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    They seem to be trying to get away from the label "Mormon"

Imagine if Catholics didn't want to be called Catholic or Muslims didn't want to be called Muslims.

An uphill battle.
    Catholic is the name of that church, dummy.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    Also, President Nelson looks spry!
    Wife is 26 years younger than he is...
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    So giving him a pass is equivalent to sustaining him? That should make it a lot easier.
    I am sorry I expressed it that way. Have a great day.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Catholic is the name of that church, dummy.
    Imagine trying to change the name of the Church.

The Mormon Church is the Mormon Church. It may not be their legal name, but they have used and embraced this term for many decades. This fact is undeniable. You can't easily run from a name that you've embraced and even used in commercials and ad campaigns:

"I'm a Mormon"

"The Mormons"

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Wife is 26 years younger than he is...
    Dude....
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

I think this marks the 10th conference in a row where BM has watched more of it than I have.

FYI, the Panthers/Giants game was awesome, except a little warm.

So still in the marriage business, as long as the temple isn't under refurbishment, and an announcement on missions to be made at a later date?

7 mins after conference ended, RMN posted on fb. This while half or more of the church is supposed to be on a social media fast.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    7 mins after conference ended, RMN posted on fb. This while half or more of the church is supposed to be on a social media fast.

Because members who are on the ‘fast’ are likely the only persons who will see and be influenced by his post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Default General Conference Predictions

Had you been on the fast, this would not have triggered you!

See how prophetic he is?

Maybe it is a test. Any female who likes or comments on the post will be placed on a "tare list".

Quote Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
    Maybe it is a test. Any female who likes or comments on the post will be placed on a "tare list".
    The sifting has begun...

I clocked her at 23 hours.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Clearly the RMN/DHO biumvirate was not on board with the TSM/DFU-driven “I’m a Mormon” campaign. And they are now in charge and doing something about it. And they are doing their darndest to prevent pendulum swings in the other direction once they are gone.
    “Clearly”

It's pretty obvious that is what is happening. And until this morning, I wasn't even aware of RMN's attempt in the 90s to jettison the term "Mormon," nor was I aware of GBH's talk six months later leaning into the term. But those talks support my theory. This has been a pet issue of RMN's for some time. Clearly.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

It's pretty obvious that is what is happening. And until this morning, I wasn't even aware of RMN's attempt in the 90s to jettison the term "Mormon," nor was I aware of GBH's talk six months later leaning into the term. But those talks support my theory. This has been a pet issue of RMN's for some time. Clearly.
    Nelson takes me back to the days of the MTC and the crowd that insisted we call each other by our "distinguished titles" instead of by last names because we weren't a football team. If I close my eyes for long enough, I can hear the admonitions to carry ourselves with quiet dignity even now!

Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar

I think Nelson's talk about the name of the Church was misguided. It's hard to come off well when you're lecturing people about what words they should use, ignoring all kinds of relevant facts, and rehearsing how to "handle" conversations.

I think the talk was a non-starter for a significant number of believing church members, and was downright creepy for many people who aren't members.

Having said that, it's pretty easy to ignore and is certainly out of my control.

When some over-zealous idiot tries to correct me, I'll say something like, "Shut up," followed by "Later I'll tell you what I really think."
    Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 10-08-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.