General Conference Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    I don't lament this, but selfishly I don't like how much this speeds things up relative to where we are in life. My son turns 10 today (hbd jr!), which means he's only a year and two weeks away from becoming a deacon. My daughter who just turned 13 a couple months ago willl now move into Mia Maids in January. This doesn't physically make them older, but it does mess with how I had been mentally preparing for these milestones.
    My son turned 11 in November. I thought I was only going to get 1 month with him as Scoutmaster. Now I'll get a year. Maybe it's a good excuse to ask to be released.

This is going to royally mess up 11 yo scouts this next year. They need to be working on advancement and won't get that opportunity being in the main troop.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
      My son turned 11 in November. I thought I was only going to get 1 month with him as Scoutmaster. Now I'll get a year. Maybe it's a good excuse to ask to be released.

This is going to royally mess up 11 yo scouts this next year. They need to be working on advancement and won't get that opportunity being in the main troop.
      Darn it. Now they will get no further than second class, whereas before they could have progressed to first class, before the church pulls the plug in scouting altogether.

Darn it.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
        Darn it. Now they will get no further than second class, whereas before they could have progressed to first class, before the church pulls the plug in scouting altogether.

Darn it.
        Yeah. Second class isn't happening this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          Maybe we need a new thread documenting changes. YM/YW now move into Deacons/Beehives in January of the year they turn 12, Teachers/Miamaids in January of the year they turn 14, and Priests/Laurels in January of the year they turn 16.
          So let me get this straight. My son has his birthday on November 21st.

Based off the email, he will move into the office of Priest and be ordained a Priest in January of that year. Essentially being 15 the entire time that first year in the office of a priest..

Am I correct in this calculation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
            So let me get this straight. My son has his birthday on November 21st.

Based off the email, he will move into the office of Priest and be ordained a Priest in January of that year. Essentially being 15 the entire time that first year in the office of a priest..

Am I correct in this calculation?

Your calculations check out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              I don't lament this, but selfishly I don't like how much this speeds things up relative to where we are in life. My son turns 10 today (hbd jr!), which means he's only a year and two weeks away from becoming a deacon. My daughter who just turned 13 a couple months ago willl now move into Mia Maids in January. This doesn't physically make them older, but it does mess with how I had been mentally preparing for these milestones.
              I do think there is something to be said for individual rite-of-passage milestones in a culture or community. Be it a bar mitzvah or quinceañera or whatever, it is meaningful for the young man or woman to have the family and/or community focus on him or her individually on a date or period of time that is seen as unique to the individual.
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Fuck. My January this year just got really busy with all the fights about ordinations. I really preferred that to be spread out throughout the year.
                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                  Fuck. My January this year just got really busy with all the fights about ordinations. I really preferred that to be spread out throughout the year.
                  Drop a couple “Fucks” at the first one and you likely won’t be invited to the rest.
                  "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                    I do think there is something to be said for individual rite-of-passage milestones in a culture or community. Be it a bar mitzvah or quinceañera or whatever, it is meaningful for the young man or woman to have the family and/or community focus on him or her individually on a date or period of time that is seen as unique to the individual.
                    We broke the news to our kids tonight. Son is super stoked that his PH timeline just got moved up a full year.

Daughter, on the other hand, is heartbroken. She loves her Beehive leaders and has just recently made a couple of friends that she loves to hang with in YW. Now she’ll be separated from both of them for the next year (she is already 13, but they turn 13 in Jan and Feb). This is coming pretty much right on the heels of a ward split where our neighborhood was recently cut into a new ward and my daughter was the only beehive cut from our old ward into this new ward. She has been a trooper about leaving all her old friends behind and making new friends, only to have them seemingly stripped away again. It doesn’t help that a couple of the older girls who just barely turned 14 and moved into MiaMaids are not the friendliest girls, and she’ll now get to spend the next year with them. She cried in her room for a couple of hours tonight. She’ll get over it and be fine, but I’m admittedly a bit frustrated at how little stability she has been afforded in her YW endeavors to this point, considering we haven’t moved.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Fuck. My January this year just got really busy with all the fights about ordinations. I really preferred that to be spread out throughout the year.
                      Are there really that many fights? I don't see them hardly at all.
                      “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

What on earth are you fighting about?
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          What on earth are you fighting about?
                          prob his clients bro
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• I am not sure I like this change. The idea of him turning of age for each class in the Aaronic Priesthood was special to him..

What I see in the future now is a waiting line at the Bishops office as all the boys wait to get ordained that first week of January taking any special moment out of ordaining our YM to their next office. It become more of a formality and a “Next in Line” kind of moment.

The idea of him being a Priest much longer is kinda cool but still have mixed feelings about this..

Comment

• i don't like the change. scale from 1 to 10, 10 being i hate with the fire of 1000 suns and president nelsons should be fired - i'm about a 2. so yeah, not a huge deal, but i have 8 and 10 year old daughters and don't need them growing up any faster.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• It sucks that changes like this bring guinea pig type feelings for children, but it will all even out in a year or two and no one will complain.

It's only joy in my household. My son will get to be a deacon 7 month earlier than expected (and out of primary, which he is really excited about) and my 7 year old daughter is so super excited to start activity days this January instead of waiting until the end of April.

Comment

Working...
                                X