Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 780 of 910

Thread: General Conference Predictions

  1. #751
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    I dread smaller wards. Not sure who is wishing for that. If they are, they are dumb. We have a smaller ward for Davis County. I have three callings. That’s fine because I know it’s not forever. With smaller wards, it would be. More callings, more talks, more everything. If that is what happens I’ll support it and do my part, but I certainly don’t hope for it.
    I think that two hour church goes really well with smaller wards. So my hopes are up a little bit, given that the recent push is to have smaller wards, that we might get two hour church. It would also help to fit more wards in one building, so there is a cost benefit to it as well.

    Ever since the requirement to have two teachers in each youth class, our ward has struggled to comply. We have enough, but gospel doctrine is sparse. If you completely eliminate Sunday school, you free up a lot of bodies for other callings and/or service and you can get by with smaller wards.

    As some anecdotal evidence, our stake just started up weekday adult Sunday school/institute type classes. I’m praying they were inspired to do this to supplement the loss of Sunday school during the Sunday block
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  2. #752
    Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knee Deep in the Hoopla
    Posts
    8,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I think that two hour church goes really well with smaller wards. So my hopes are up a little bit, given that the recent push is to have smaller wards, that we might get two hour church. It would also help to fit more wards in one building, so there is a cost benefit to it as well.

    Ever since the requirement to have two teachers in each youth class, our ward has struggled to comply. We have enough, but gospel doctrine is sparse. If you completely eliminate Sunday school, you free up a lot of bodies for other callings and/or service and you can get by with smaller wards.

    As some anecdotal evidence, our stake just started up weekday adult Sunday school/institute type classes. I’m praying they were inspired to do this to supplement the loss of Sunday school during the Sunday block
    We have the same problem in my ward with Gospel Doctrine, and since I'm one of the two teachers, it's tough. I put quite a bit of time into my lessons and to have very few people show up, mostly because they are helping out in primary or attending the hallway class, it can be discouraging, that's for sure. I also appreciate having different perspectives, and most of the people they ask to help in primary are the ones who are willing to talk or read a scripture/quote.

    One thing I did notice the other day is that if you look on the app, the only SS manuals that are available are Old Testament...and I'm pretty sure that has not always been the case. Smoke? Either way, I read one speculation that the church is going to focus more on self study, home study, etc. So perhaps this all fits into that.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  3. #753

    Default

    damn. i hate that i let rumors such as 2 hour church get my hopes up. instead they are going to announce that mutual can now be held on Thursday in addition to Wed and Tues.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  4. #754
    Peanut Gallery Asshat HBCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    The First Presidency will apologize for racist past doctrines, which will cause SeattleUte to ask for a brief adjournment mid-deposition in order to gather himself. Slowly he will be told in his heart and in his mind that he needs to return to the faith of his fathers. Fast forward two years: he will be sitting in Legacy seating at LES watching family lead the mighty Cougars to an undefeated season with their ticket punched to the college football playoff championship! Bookmark this post.

  5. #755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    As some anecdotal evidence, our stake just started up weekday adult Sunday school/institute type classes. I’m praying they were inspired to do this to supplement the loss of Sunday school during the Sunday block
    It would be funny if a 2 hour block was announced, only to 'reschedule' SS during the week.

  6. #756
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HBCoug View Post
    The First Presidency will apologize for racist past doctrines, which will cause SeattleUte to ask for a brief adjournment mid-deposition in order to gather himself. Slowly he will be told in his heart and in his mind that he needs to return to the faith of his fathers. Fast forward two years: he will be sitting in Legacy seating at LES watching family lead the mighty Cougars to an undefeated season with their ticket punched to the college football playoff championship! Bookmark this post.
    Is it bad that the part of that I want most to be true is the undefeated/CFP season?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  7. #757
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    It would be funny if a 2 hour block was announced, only to 'reschedule' SS during the week.
    That's not funny at all.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  8. #758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    damn. i hate that i let rumors such as 2 hour church get my hopes up. instead they are going to announce that mutual can now be held on Thursday in addition to Wed and Tues.

  9. #759
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,617

    Default

    I'm hoping for more church, with the brethren saying this experiment of single block church since 1978 has been a mistake, and that we need to get back to early morning priesthood, Sunday morning sunday school, and afternoon Sacrament meeting. The Saints have failed to keep the Sabbath Day holy, and they need to get back to basics until we get it right.

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  10. #760

    Default

    I have a testimony that in at least one dimension, Clack is the prophet.

  11. #761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    I'm hoping for more church, with the brethren saying this experiment of single block church since 1978 has been a mistake, and that we need to get back to early morning priesthood, Sunday morning sunday school, and afternoon Sacrament meeting. The Saints have failed to keep the Sabbath Day holy, and they need to get back to basics until we get it right.
    Hopefully we can get back to the days when we could attend priesthood, swing over to KFC to grab a bucket of chicken for a picnic lunch, take a nap and watch some football, head over to the chapel for Sacrament Meeting, and then swing by the ice cream shop for a post-sacrament treat. Sunday was definitely better back when we used to keep the Sabbath Day holy.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  12. #762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Hopefully we can get back to the days when we could attend priesthood, swing over to KFC to grab a bucket of chicken for a picnic lunch, take a nap and watch some football, head over to the chapel for Sacrament Meeting, and then swing by the ice cream shop for a post-sacrament treat. Sunday was definitely better back when we used to keep the Sabbath Day holy.
    I only have fleeting memories of pre-block church. But I do remember the eating out rules on Sunday were pretty lax.

  13. #763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I only have fleeting memories of pre-block church. But I do remember the eating out rules on Sunday were pretty lax.
    I actually have no memories of them, since the 3-hour block pre-dates my birth. But I've heard all about them.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  14. #764

    Default

    Maybe this General Conference they'll forgo structural/process announcements and instead focus on Christlike attributes like loving your neighbor, being kind, having faith and repenting of your sins. Would probably be a bridge too far for some of you on this board.



  15. #765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    One thing I did notice the other day is that if you look on the app, the only SS manuals that are available are Old Testament...and I'm pretty sure that has not always been the case. Smoke? Either way, I read one speculation that the church is going to focus more on self study, home study, etc. So perhaps this all fits into that.
    Everyone's just moving to the Come Follow Me curriculum, right? That would explain why the old SS manuals are gone. I doubt that after spending a lot of effort to create the new materials for Come Follow Me, it will all be scrapped.

    Am I the only one that doesn't mind 3 hours of church meetings per week? Granted, I haven't attended Gospel Doctrine for a few years b/c I've had a few callings to teach Primary and then SS to teens, but unless I'm in a grumpy mood 3 hours doesn't seem that bad.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  16. #766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    Everyone's just moving to the Come Follow Me curriculum, right? That would explain why the old SS manuals are gone. I doubt that after spending a lot of effort to create the new materials for Come Follow Me, it will all be scrapped.

    Am I the only one that doesn't mind 3 hours of church meetings per week? Granted, I haven't attended Gospel Doctrine for a few years b/c I've had a few callings to teach Primary and then SS to teens, but unless I'm in a grumpy mood 3 hours doesn't seem that bad.
    Yes

  17. #767
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    Everyone's just moving to the Come Follow Me curriculum, right? That would explain why the old SS manuals are gone. I doubt that after spending a lot of effort to create the new materials for Come Follow Me, it will all be scrapped.

    Am I the only one that doesn't mind 3 hours of church meetings per week? Granted, I haven't attended Gospel Doctrine for a few years b/c I've had a few callings to teach Primary and then SS to teens, but unless I'm in a grumpy mood 3 hours doesn't seem that bad.
    I don't care that much either way. IIRC, HFN said that he prefers 3 hrs.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  18. #768

    Default

    If a couple of minor administrative changes (home teaching and EQ/HPG combination) are considered "big changes," I have no doubt that this conference will have lots of other "big changes."
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  19. #769
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I don't care that much either way. IIRC, HFN said that he prefers 3 hrs.
    Three hours is fine if you dont have an administrative calling that requires other meetings. I would also be fine with two hours. But, as I have said before, I would miss SS.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  20. #770
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    Everyone's just moving to the Come Follow Me curriculum, right? That would explain why the old SS manuals are gone. I doubt that after spending a lot of effort to create the new materials for Come Follow Me, it will all be scrapped.

    Am I the only one that doesn't mind 3 hours of church meetings per week? Granted, I haven't attended Gospel Doctrine for a few years b/c I've had a few callings to teach Primary and then SS to teens, but unless I'm in a grumpy mood 3 hours doesn't seem that bad.
    There is also a Come Follow Me Manual for at home study now as well.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  21. #771
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    There is also a Come Follow Me Manual for at home study now as well.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  22. #772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    If a couple of minor administrative changes (home teaching and EQ/HPG combination) are considered "big changes," I have no doubt that this conference will have lots of other "big changes."
    Getting rid of HPGs and combining with EQ was a minor admin change?
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  23. #773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    There is also a Come Follow Me Manual for at home study now as well.
    that’s been around for at least a year. we were a pilot for this and had some version of it
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  24. #774
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    19,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Three hours is fine if you dont have an administrative calling that requires other meetings. I would also be fine with two hours. But, as I have said before, I would miss SS.
    I miss SS every week.

    If they go to some form of a two hour block I predict that we will still have SS and Priesthood... just not every week. Maybe SS once or twice a month with Priesthood/RS the other weeks.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  25. #775
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,617

    Default

    Since we're all throwing caution to the wind... how about this one.

    Men and women meet together 2nd hour every week. Even weeks it will be a priesthood meeting run by the men, on the odd weeks it'll be a RS meeting run by the women.

    The only problem I see with that is that the women will want the even weeks, and give the odd weeks to the men.

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  26. #776
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Heard a rumor from a co-worker yesterday who heard it from her son at UVU who heard it from his SP in a meeting. So, you know it's true. Anyway, rumor says that some changes in the serving of missions will be announced. Including perhaps some kind of choice in the type of mission (service vs proselyting) as well as options for length of mission.

  27. #777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Heard a rumor from a co-worker yesterday who heard it from her son at UVU who heard it from his SP in a meeting. So, you know it's true. Anyway, rumor says that some changes in the serving of missions will be announced. Including perhaps some kind of choice in the type of mission (service vs proselyting) as well as options for length of mission.
    That would be pretty significant.

  28. #778
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Heard a rumor from a co-worker yesterday who heard it from her son at UVU who heard it from his SP in a meeting. So, you know it's true. Anyway, rumor says that some changes in the serving of missions will be announced. Including perhaps some kind of choice in the type of mission (service vs proselyting) as well as options for length of mission.
    Eff that. I thought these kids were Saturday's Warriors. 2 years or nothing.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  29. #779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Heard a rumor from a co-worker yesterday who heard it from her son at UVU who heard it from his SP in a meeting. So, you know it's true. Anyway, rumor says that some changes in the serving of missions will be announced. Including perhaps some kind of choice in the type of mission (service vs proselyting) as well as options for length of mission.
    was hearing on CB something about 18 month missions for boys, so yeah, definitely accurate.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  30. #780
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    was hearing on CB something about 18 month missions for boys, so yeah, definitely accurate.
    My only concern with this is the NCAA rule for eligibility. It has been 25 years, so my memory of the event is crystal clear, but I remember being told that your clock starts ticking in terms of eligibility once you matriculate. only thing that can stop the clock is military service or a church mission of a certain length. What that length is I have no idea. It is probably 12 months, so this would not be an issue. But if it were closer to 18 months then we could potentially have some issues. Of course the girls going on missions don't seem to have any issues with this that I know of, so maybe this is just a figment of my imagination. I just don't want anything to mess with byu football.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •