John Dehlin to interview Terryl Givens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Dehlin to interview Terryl Givens

John Dehlin is soliciting questions to ask Terryl Givens in an interview he's got lined up.

http://mormonstories.org/?p=1953
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

For more info on Terrly Givens see the following thread where I reviewed his Very Short Introduction to the Book of Mormon:

http://cougaruteforum.com/showthread.php?t=10793

Or the following posts elsewhere:

http://timesandseasons.org/index.php...terryl-givens/

http://www.juvenileinstructor.org/qa...monism-part-i/

Comment

Why the new thread?
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post

Why the new thread?
        For Levin.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
          For Levin.
          If we start kowtowing to every silver-tongued attorney on this board, we'll never recover.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            John Dehlin is soliciting questions to ask Terryl Givens in an interview he's got lined up.

http://mormonstories.org/?p=1953
            Day-um that was good! And I'm only through two hours. Everyone should listen to this.

http://mormonstories.org/?p=2018

Comment

Anyone know of an Android podcast app that works well with mormon stories? Teh one I've been using doesn't.

Comment

Dehlin just posted a copy of the fireside talk Terryl Givens gave to the singles ward in Palo Alto three days ago. It's addressed to those in the Church who have serious doubts--the talk won't dispel them, but it may bring a measure of peace and understanding amidst the struggles. The talk is excellent; I wish I had written it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                  Anyone know of an Android podcast app that works well with mormon stories? Teh one I've been using doesn't.
                  Dogcatcher.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Dehlin just posted a copy of the fireside talk Terryl Givens gave to the singles ward in Palo Alto three days ago. It's addressed to those in the Church who have serious doubts--the talk won't dispel them, but it may bring a measure of peace and understanding amidst the struggles. The talk is excellent; I wish I had written it.
                    That was good. I like the idea that LDS people shouldn't feel like they have to defend (either externally or internally) the faith too broadly and the example of BH Roberts being confounded by Native American language diversity is a good one. And this was a strong finish:

The call to faith, in this light, is not some test of a coy god, waiting to see if we “get it right.” It is the only summons, issued under the only conditions, which can allow us fully to reveal who we are, what we most love, and what we most devoutly desire. Without constraint, without any form of mental compulsion, the act of belief becomes the freest possible projection of what resides in our hearts. Like the poet’s image of a church bell that only reveals its latent music when struck, or a dragonfly that only flames forth its beauty in flight, so does the content of a human heart lie buried until action calls it forth. The greatest act of self-revelation occurs when we choose what we will believe, in that space of freedom that exists between knowing that a thing is, and knowing that a thing is not.

This is the realm where faith operates, and when faith is a freely chosen gesture, it expresses something essential about the self.

Modern revelation, speaking of spiritual gifts, notes that while to some it is given to know the core truth of Christ and His mission, to others is given the means to persevere in the absence of certainty. The New Testament makes the point that those mortals who operate in the grey area between conviction and incredulity are in a position to choose most meaningfully, and with most meaningful consequences.
                    Last edited by CardiacCoug; 10-18-2012, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      Thanks for posting. That was very good. Inspired.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                        That was good. I like the idea that LDS people shouldn't feel like they have to defend (either externally or internally) the faith too broadly and the example of BH Roberts being confounded by Native American language diversity is a good one. And this was a strong finish:
                        I used to sort of think the same thing. I'm curious to know, for those of you for whom this resonated, why in your view is it noble to make a choice to believe without good evidence? I'm focused here strictly on the choice to believe, not on the choice to do good which is a different matter. What exactly does it say about you?
                        Last edited by UtahDan; 10-18-2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                          I used to sort of think the same thing. I'm curious to know, for those of you for whom this resonated, why in your view is it noble to make a choice to believe without good evidence? I'm focused here strictly on the choice to believe, not on the choice to do good which is a different matter. What exactly does it say about you?
                          For me, the choice to believe is essentially the same thing as the choice to do good, because my belief is the impetus behind much of my desire to do good.

I think this is where I differ from so many of the good people on this board. You don't need religion to propel you to do good, but I do. If not for religion, I would be even more selfish than I currently am - and that is saying something. My religion, my belief in God and Jesus, makes me a better person.
                          Last edited by smokymountainrain; 10-18-2012, 11:56 AM.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            For me, the choice to believe is essentially the same thing as the choice to do good, because my belief is the impetus behind much of my desire to do good.

I think this is where I differ from so many of the good people on this board. You don't need religion to propel you to do good, but I do. If not for religion, I would be even more selfish than I currently am - and that is saying something. My religion, my belief in God and Jesus, makes me a better person.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

I thought someone would probably say this, that it is not desirable, or maybe even difficult, to separate the two, at least for them. I imagine you are probably selling yourself short, but it is undeniable religion has the ability to focus human impulses in unique ways. For good and bad (in this case good).

Comment

Working...
                              X