The Golf Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
    I am looking into playing a considerable more golf in the very near future (most likely once a week). I do not have my own set of clubs. I play with my dad's set (he is 6'6"-6'7") that is 20-25 years old. I do have a knock-off driver that is 5 years old (it's a piece of junk that I tend to hit well). I have been on the lookout for a set of good clubs on the cheap and Surfah introduced me to golfio.com. With that being said, how much difference would a new set of clubs make in a newbs game? Could I get a good set up for around $750-$500? Is the fall a better time to buy clubs?

TIA.
    New set would be huge when compared to something 20-25 years old. Technology has come a long ways in 25 years. You'll be surprised how much bigger the sweet spots are, and, how much more forgiving the clubs are in general.

All that being said, I think some knockoffs would be the way to go. You could get a full set of irons clubs for $100-125, and the difference between them and the name brand would be negligible for a beginner.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Bandon was an awesome trip, the wind was insane averaging 30-40 MPH one round it was over 50 MPH the whole round with gusts of 65+, it was truly hard just to stand/walk.

Sunday afternoon we got there and played Bandon Dunes, I shot a 120. It was awful, I couldn't get anything to play, I was getting annoyed by the wind, I lost about 10 balls which really helped the score. On the par 3, 12th I hit a nice tee shot that landed on the green and rolled backward into the pot bunker enjoyably called "The Devil's Butthole". It took me 7 shots to get out. I left being frustrated after the 3rd shot and joined in the laughs with my group. Though my score was awful, I thought I played alright minus lost balls and the Devil bunker plus as landpoke pointed out I was being cursed for playing on Sunday.

Monday we played Pacific Dunes which is my favorite course and last year the one I came closest to breaking 100 on. The wind was even worse than the day before as more holes line the coast on Pacific and the wind was what I thought at the time to be in full force. I burned the edge of the cup on a par putt that would have given me 50 on the front and I was thinking this could be the day it happened. On the 148 yard par 3 11th with the wind full force in our face I blasted a 5 iron as well as I have hit a ball in the last year and came up about 50 yards short, things went downhill quickly as I think I found a bunker on 6 of the 7 final holes and didn't get out of any of them in 1. Shot a 67 on the back for a 117.

Tuesday we played Bandon Trails in the morning, the inland course allegedly offers some break from the wind. Through 5 holes I was 3 over and was gaining confidence that this was going to be the day. On the 6th I took a 12, that I am really still not sure how it happened, I fought back but had 2 other bad blow up holes and wrapped up the morning with a 114.

Tuesday was the day we played 36 and headed back out at 4 for another go of Bandon Dunes. The wind was picking up and I was struggling, shot a 58 on the front 9, and was ready to quit. We made the turn and I decided that I was supposed to be having fun and I was just going to try and enjoy the back 9. I started putting better swings on balls, managed to stay out of the Devil's Butthole bunker by about 2 feet and made a par. On 16 the wind had gotten so bad that it had blown the flag stick out of the hole, the big hitter of our group with the wind at his back over flew the 365 yard green with his 3 wood. Something clicked for me on 16, 17 and 18 as I went par, bogey, par and finished with a backside 48.

Wednesday we played the new course Old Macdonald and I felt good coming off the back nine the afternoon before. Nothing really stood out to me I was not killing myself going in bunkers or trying to make shots that were out of my skill level, shot a 48 on the front and just told myself I had to do it today the wind was lower and it was going to be my best chance. I didn't shoot anything higher than a double on the back and finished bogey, par, par, bogey for a backside 46, and a 94. My lowest round anywhere ever. It was a great end to the trip, and made me ready to go back next year.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        New set would be huge when compared to something 20-25 years old. Technology has come a long ways in 25 years. You'll be surprised how much bigger the sweet spots are, and, how much more forgiving the clubs are in general.

All that being said, I think some knockoffs would be the way to go. You could get a full set of irons clubs for $100-125, and the difference between them and the name brand would be negligible for a beginner.
        Good advice, and check out craigslist. Some really good deals there sometimes, but get advice of what your getting before you pull the trigger.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Something like this?
          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            Bandon was an awesome trip, the wind was insane averaging 30-40 MPH one round it was over 50 MPH the whole round with gusts of 65+, it was truly hard just to stand/walk.

Sunday afternoon we got there and played Bandon Dunes, I shot a 120. It was awful, I couldn't get anything to play, I was getting annoyed by the wind, I lost about 10 balls which really helped the score. On the par 3, 12th I hit a nice tee shot that landed on the green and rolled backward into the pot bunker enjoyably called "The Devil's Butthole". It took me 7 shots to get out. I left being frustrated after the 3rd shot and joined in the laughs with my group. Though my score was awful, I thought I played alright minus lost balls and the Devil bunker plus as landpoke pointed out I was being cursed for playing on Sunday.

Monday we played Pacific Dunes which is my favorite course and last year the one I came closest to breaking 100 on. The wind was even worse than the day before as more holes line the coast on Pacific and the wind was what I thought at the time to be in full force. I burned the edge of the cup on a par putt that would have given me 50 on the front and I was thinking this could be the day it happened. On the 148 yard par 3 11th with the wind full force in our face I blasted a 5 iron as well as I have hit a ball in the last year and came up about 50 yards short, things went downhill quickly as I think I found a bunker on 6 of the 7 final holes and didn't get out of any of them in 1. Shot a 67 on the back for a 117.

Tuesday we played Bandon Trails in the morning, the inland course allegedly offers some break from the wind. Through 5 holes I was 3 over and was gaining confidence that this was going to be the day. On the 6th I took a 12, that I am really still not sure how it happened, I fought back but had 2 other bad blow up holes and wrapped up the morning with a 114.

Tuesday was the day we played 36 and headed back out at 4 for another go of Bandon Dunes. The wind was picking up and I was struggling, shot a 58 on the front 9, and was ready to quit. We made the turn and I decided that I was supposed to be having fun and I was just going to try and enjoy the back 9. I started putting better swings on balls, managed to stay out of the Devil's Butthole bunker by about 2 feet and made a par. On 16 the wind had gotten so bad that it had blown the flag stick out of the hole, the big hitter of our group with the wind at his back over flew the 365 yard green with his 3 wood. Something clicked for me on 16, 17 and 18 as I went par, bogey, par and finished with a backside 48.

Wednesday we played the new course Old Macdonald and I felt good coming off the back nine the afternoon before. Nothing really stood out to me I was not killing myself going in bunkers or trying to make shots that were out of my skill level, shot a 48 on the front and just told myself I had to do it today the wind was lower and it was going to be my best chance. I didn't shoot anything higher than a double on the back and finished bogey, par, par, bogey for a backside 46, and a 94. My lowest round anywhere ever. It was a great end to the trip, and made me ready to go back next year.
            What an experience that must have been. Congrats on the 94. I have never broke a 100 as well
            I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

Bandon was an awesome trip, the wind was insane averaging 30-40 MPH one round it was over 50 MPH the whole round with gusts of 65+, it was truly hard just to stand/walk.

You mean when winds were over 30mph you didn't quit like the pussies playing in the British Open? Like I read earlier, having a delay at hte British Open because of wind is like a delay at the Tour De France because of big hills.

Congrats on the 94, those courses look very tough.
              *Banned*

Comment

Now that sounds like a great trip,sans the wind. I am ENVIOUS.

Comment

Something like this?
                  Those would almost certainly be something you'd find much easier to hit than your dad's 25-year-old sticks. That said, $225 seems like too much for imitation clubs. Personally, I'm partial to knockoffs which don't pretend to be the real thing (some call these clones). They make no bones about copying the styling and feel of the real thing, but they don't use the actual name. They're usually just as good as the name-brand knockoffs (an oxymoron, i know), but they're also usually cheaper.

For example: http://www.golfdiscountcenter.com/Pr...ET&Click=1391#
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I am looking into playing a considerable more golf in the very near future (most likely once a week). I do not have my own set of clubs. I play with my dad's set (he is 6'6"-6'7") that is 20-25 years old. I do have a knock-off driver that is 5 years old (it's a piece of junk that I tend to hit well). I have been on the lookout for a set of good clubs on the cheap and Surfah introduced me to golfio.com. With that being said, how much difference would a new set of clubs make in a newbs game? Could I get a good set up for around $750-$500? Is the fall a better time to buy clubs?

TIA.

EDIT: Would this be a good buy?
                    That looks like a pretty good deal for all that stuff. I'm not sure you could do it cheaper if you bought everything separate. That said, its probably gone now.

Edit: Now that I look at it again, that looks like a VERY good deal. I don't know anything about the driver though. But those Titleist wedges are not cheap. Those clubs are stiff flex though, which means that you'd better have a fairly fast swing speed.
                    Last edited by falafel; 07-19-2010, 09:40 AM.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• FN Phat give me a call and we can talk about sticks.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Those would almost certainly be something you'd find much easier to hit than your dad's 25-year-old sticks. That said, $225 seems like too much for imitation clubs. Personally, I'm partial to knockoffs which don't pretend to be the real thing (some call these clones). They make no bones about copying the styling and feel of the real thing, but they don't use the actual name. They're usually just as good as the name-brand knockoffs (an oxymoron, i know), but they're also usually cheaper.

For example: http://www.golfdiscountcenter.com/Pr...ET&Click=1391#
                        I read an article about the chinese apartments where they make these knockoffs, it worried me a bit.
                        *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                          I read an article about the chinese apartments where they make these knockoffs, it worried me a bit.
                          Really? I'd be curious to read that. I wonder if it's just the knockoffs (i.e. those that are actually counterfeits) or if that includes the clones.

Comment

Really? I'd be curious to read that. I wonder if it's just the knockoffs (i.e. those that are actually counterfeits) or if that includes the clones.
                            It was in Golf Digest I think, I will try and find it.
                            *Banned*

Comment

• What does everyone hit for irons? That will be my first move. Irons and a new bag.
                              I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

• I use a clone version of the TaylorMade 300s circa 2003 called "TourPro System 3000". I got them new for $110 from a dealer in Riverdale, UT.

Comment

Working...
                                X