Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 3366

Thread: The Golf Thread

  1. #31
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    I used to play the back tees all the time, until I was playing with a group of friends who play the yardage marker on the box. Now I play either the back tees or the marker depending on the course.
    I never play the back tees, mainly because I am not trying to impress anyone and I don't hit the ball far.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    I've had 3 eagles in my life - the par 4 #2 at Hobble Creek; the par 5 #18 at Hobble Creek and the par 5 #3 at Murray Parkway.

    No hole in one ever, but have come close a few times - one of them being on the first par 3 at Thanksgiving Point (#4?) at the first CB golf tournament. Ohio Blue was witness to it. I had closest to the hole for most of the day.
    I can indeed bear witness. By the way, how did you eagle the second at hobble? Did you hit over the creek and chip in? Drive the green? Eagle on a par 4 is no small accomplishment. Well, I take that back....one of my eagles was on a 265 yard par 4. Not much to brag about when there are par 3s now longer than that.

    But the 2nd at Hobble, now that is an impressive eagle.

  3. #33
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Let's hear your personal triumphs, the struggles over your inner demons, your new best score, your review of a new course just played, tournaments won, a blow by blow of a disaster, etc.
    I shot a 37 from the tips on the back nine of Hobble Creek right before I got married. My golf experiences after that time are few and far between and are usually randomly interwoven into my nightmares.

    Best golf moment? Driving into the sunset at Kapalua.
    Last edited by Indy Coug; 04-30-2009 at 12:39 PM.

  4. #34

    Default

    I have never had a hole in one, I have however hit the pin three times on hole 12 at Spanish Oaks.

    Best score was a 35 on 9 at Sleepy Ridge in Orem. For the hole round I shot a 75 (but it really doesnt count as we had to play the back twice, my 35 did come the first time we played the back). I was -3 thru 3. Including a 20 footer for birdie on 10, and a chip in for birdie on 11.

    I have never come close to that since. I am usually in the mid 80s somewhere.
    *Banned*

  5. #35
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OhioBlue View Post
    I can indeed bear witness. By the way, how did you eagle the second at hobble? Did you hit over the creek and chip in? Drive the green? Eagle on a par 4 is no small accomplishment. Well, I take that back....one of my eagles was on a 265 yard par 4. Not much to brag about when there are par 3s now longer than that.

    But the 2nd at Hobble, now that is an impressive eagle.
    On #2 I hit a 3 iron off the tee to about 150 yards between the creeks, then an 8 iron that ended up in the cup.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  6. #36
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,713

    Default

    Playing with my usual Utah foursome several years ago, Stan (Professor Preston's husband) hit a beautiful short iron on Layton's 148-yard second hole that backed up to within two feet of the cup, and we did marvel at his prowess. Then I hit a reasonably good nine iron that landed about eight feet in front of the hole and rolled forward into the cup, greatly vexing Stan (who aced Hobble's 14th last October for a belated payback). Another member of our foursome, who now serves as an SLC Area Authority, filled out a form in the pro shop reporting my ace, but in the space where one names witnesses, he omitted his name and wrote "Boyd K. Packer." I don't know if it was ever published.

    There's something immensely satisfying, and equally annoying to your foursome, when you step up to the next tee and ask, "Anybody beat a one?"

  7. #37

    Default

    I've only had one eagle in my life thus far--hole #2 at Riverside. No, not THAT Riverside, the public one in Riverdale, UT. Hole 2 is a 270 yard Par 4. While the green is reachable, the left 2/3 of the green is guarded by two 50-foot oak trees. Simply put, if you go right, you've either got to try to chip between the trees (about a 6-foot wide by 10-foot high window, and only if the angle is perfect) or chip back to the fairway to have a shot at the green (this almost guarantees a bogey, absent a subsequent chip to within 4 feet--not an easy task on such an undulating green). My eagle was not spectacular, by any means. A nice drive which faded just perfectly and rolled up to within 8 feet.

    My most spectacular shot on this hole, by far, resulted in a birdie. My drive went right and settled about 30 yards short of the big trees. I had no angle to attempt hitting it through the window, and didn't feel like settling for the sure chip-out bogey (or double, if my putter betrayed me). I was feeling brave. My ball was sitting up perfectly in a nest of rough, and I figured i'd give it a go and see if I could get the ball up over the trees and down onto the green. An impossible shot, but worth a try. I opened up the face on my 56-degree Ben Hogan sand wedge, took a couple practice swings, and set up. Knowing that the ball needed to gain some serious height in a hurry,I swung as hard as I could, nearly losing my footing in my follow-through. I watched, almost awe-struck, as my ball arced perfectly over the top of the shorter tree, coming within what seemed like a centimeter of the tip, and then heard the gratifying ~thud~ a split second later. It wasn't until I gathered my clubs and walked around the trees to the green that I realized my ball had landed on a backslope and rolled back 10 feet to within about 3 feet of the cup.

    Greatest golf shot of my life thus far, but in a way, it was the worst. I've played the same hole dozens of times since, and I've been in the same position a handful of times. Yet, i've never been able to replicate the shot (i've even dropped out a handful of balls on a slow day and tried to do it--no luck).
    Last edited by Donuthole; 04-30-2009 at 01:32 PM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  8. #38
    Senior Member Sea Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Playing with my usual Utah foursome several years ago, Stan (Professor Preston's husband) hit a beautiful short iron on Layton's 148-yard second hole that backed up to within two feet of the cup, and we did marvel at his prowess. Then I hit a reasonably good nine iron that landed about eight feet in front of the hole and rolled forward into the cup, greatly vexing Stan (who aced Hobble's 14th last October for a belated payback). Another member of our foursome, who now serves as an SLC Area Authority, filled out a form in the pro shop reporting my ace, but in the space where one names witnesses, he omitted his name and wrote "Boyd K. Packer." I don't know if it was ever published.

    There's something immensely satisfying, and equally annoying to your foursome, when you step up to the next tee and ask, "Anybody beat a one?"
    This one tops my pig story.

  9. #39
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    Hitting off the 18th tee at Riverside, yes THAT Riverside, I swung for the fences popped the ball straight up about 15 feet, and caught it with my hand.

    Second shot on hole 1 at Coral Canyon, I shanked the ball so bad, it shattered teh winshield in the golf cart and missed my BIL's head by a few inches. Yeah, i'm that good. I could have hit him if I wanted to.

  10. #40
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,126

    Default

    Ever had one come back at you. Out about 20 yds of the tee on 18 at Oakridge is some nice flowers and a drop off after. Cinder blocks are behind the flowers about a foot high. I hit the cinder blocks and the ball came straight back at me and ended up 30 - 40 yards behind me. Good laugh.

    I swear two weeks later it happens again and I dove out of the way. This time and went in and bitched and moaned about someone getting killed. The cinder blocks no longer are 1 foot above the ground.

  11. #41
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    Ever had one come back at you. Out about 20 yds of the tee on 18 at Oakridge is some nice flowers and a drop off after. Cinder blocks are behind the flowers about a foot high. I hit the cinder blocks and the ball came straight back at me and ended up 30 - 40 yards behind me. Good laugh.
    That's only a 70-80 yard drive.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  12. #42
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,927

    Default

    First round of the day today, I was very happy with how I swung the clubs. We didn't keep score, I had a nice Par on 205 par 3 that I was very happy with. Of course I was shankapotomous on a couple of holes, but in general much better than where I usually am at the start of the year.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  13. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    I should buy a good driver and go to the driving range. I can chip and putt ok, but I will shank a drive about half of the time.
    Last edited by RobinFinderson; 05-01-2009 at 11:01 PM.

  14. #44
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Let's hear your personal triumphs, the struggles over your inner demons, your new best score, your review of a new course just played, tournaments won, a blow by blow of a disaster, etc.
    Teton Pines near Jackson Hole over Labor Day weekend on a gorgeous 73 degree day one 4 days after a late snowfall disrupted an unseasonably warm spring.

    I am telling you Raquel Welch's rack could not be more beautiful!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  15. #45
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    7,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    Teton Pines near Jackson Hole over Labor Day weekend on a gorgeous 73 degree day one 4 days after a late snowfall disrupted an unseasonably warm spring.

    I am telling you Raquel Welch's rack could not be more beautiful!
    It's hard to beat one of those days isn't it Goat. We were at the Pines about fifteen years ago on a day in the fall when the the leaves were turning and the geese were flying overhead, it felt like a little bit of heaven.

  16. #46
    Boom Bitches!!! BlueHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I never play the back tees, mainly because I am not trying to impress anyone and I don't hit the ball far.
    Those seem like good reasons.

  17. #47
    Boom Bitches!!! BlueHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    We planned on golfing yesterday, but woke up to pouring rain. So I took the money I saved by not golfing and bought a new TaylorMade driver. Okay, I didn't save enough money to buy the driver, but that's how I justified it.

  18. #48

    Default

    I golfed Bear's Best on Saturday with a few friends. I got off to a rough start, going out in 47, but played the back nine even, for an 83. Couldn't hit a chip on the front nine, and didn't make a putt longer than 8 feet all day. It's frustrating to be striping the driver and sticking the irons, but then 3-putt so many times.

    All in all that was the best course i've played in Vegas. A challenging yet fun design--greens surrounded by bunkers (some of them really, really deep), water in play on 5-6 holes, lots of elevated greens and teeboxes, but very rewarding fairways (not like Valley View, in Layton, where you can hit a 280 yard drive in the middle of the fairway and find your lie significantly above or below your feet), and perfect, well-maintained greens.

    I forgot to take a pic until the next to last hole, so it's not the most scenic hole, but the backdrop is pretty spectacular (my camera phone doesn't do it justice).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  19. #49
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    7,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I golfed Bear's Best on Saturday with a few friends.
    Is this course a mix of all the best holes Nicklaus has designed in the past?

  20. #50

    Default

    Rule question. Due to my rough start on Saturday, my cartmate (and fellow golf bettor) had a 6- stroke lead at the turn. However, he continued his pace of play, and with my good back nine, I was within a stroke when we teed off at 18. His tee shot landed on the beach next to the water (really just a fairway bunker that runs the entire side of the water) and rather than play it safe and chip into the fairway, he went for the green. He landed in the water, and dropped to hit again. But rather than drop in the hazard, he backed up further and dropped on the grass.

    I ended up bogeying the hole, and he doubled, meaning we both ended with an 83. However, I was under the impression that you could not improve your lie when dropping, and going from a bunker to the grass to drop is definitely an improved lie.

    What's the official rule? I have lunch riding on the outcome.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  21. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Is this course a mix of all the best holes Nicklaus has designed in the past?
    That's the one.

    https://www.clubcorp.com/club/script...D=10751&APP=80
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  22. #52
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    7,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Rule question. Due to my rough start on Saturday, my cartmate (and fellow golf bettor) had a 6- stroke lead at the turn. However, he continued his pace of play, and with my good back nine, I was within a stroke when we teed off at 18. His tee shot landed on the beach next to the water (really just a fairway bunker that runs the entire side of the water) and rather than play it safe and chip into the fairway, he went for the green. He landed in the water, and dropped to hit again. But rather than drop in the hazard, he backed up further and dropped on the grass.

    I ended up bogeying the hole, and he doubled, meaning we both ended with an 83. However, I was under the impression that you could not improve your lie when dropping, and going from a bunker to the grass to drop is definitely an improved lie.

    What's the official rule? I have lunch riding on the outcome.
    26-2. Ball Played Within Water Hazard

    a. Ball Comes to Rest in Same or Another Water Hazard

    If a ball played from within a water hazard comes to rest in the same or another water hazard after the stroke, the player may:

    (i) proceed under Rule 26-1a. If, after dropping in the hazard, the player elects not to play the dropped ball, he may:

    (a) proceed under Rule 26-1b, or if applicable Rule 26-1c, adding the additional penalty of one stroke prescribed by the Rule and using as the reference point the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of this hazard before it came to rest in this hazard; or

    (b) add an additional penalty of one stroke and play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which
    the last stroke from outside a water hazard was made (see Rule 20-5); or

    (ii) proceed under Rule 26-1b, or if applicable Rule 26-1c; or

    (iii) under penalty of one stroke, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the last stroke from outside a water hazard was made (see Rule 20-5).

    b. Ball Lost or Unplayable Outside Hazard or Out of Bounds

    If a ball played from within a water hazard is lost or deemed unplayable outside the hazard or is out of bounds, the player may, after taking a penalty of one stroke under Rule 27-1 or 28a:

    (i) play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot in the hazard from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

    (ii) proceed under Rule 26-1b, or if applicable Rule 26-1c, adding the additional penalty of one stroke prescribed by the Rule and using as the reference point the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the hazard before it came to rest in the hazard; or

    (iii) add an additional penalty of one stroke and play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the last stroke from outside a water hazard was made (see Rule 20-5).

    Note 1: When proceeding under Rule 26-2b, the player is not required to drop a ball under Rule 27-1 or 28a. If he does drop a ball, he is not required to play it. He may alternatively proceed under Rule 26-2b(ii) or (iii).

    Note 2: If a ball played from within a water hazard is deemed unplayable outside the hazard, nothing in Rule 26-2b precludes the player from proceeding under Rule 28b or c.


    I believe the guy should have redropped in that hazard and by not doing so he should have a stroke penalty.

  23. #53
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    7,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    It's interesting that they use #2 at Old Works as one of the holes yet I think that is the weakest hole on the course.

  24. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    I believe the guy should have redropped in that hazard and by not doing so he should have a stroke penalty.
    You mean an additional stoke penalty. i.e. a one stroke penalty for dropping in the hazard, or a two stroke penalty for dropping on the grass behind the hazard.

    But is that the applicable rule? Is hitting from a bunker beside a water hazard the same as "playing a ball from within a water hazard?
    Last edited by Donuthole; 05-05-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  25. #55
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    You mean an additional stoke penalty. i.e. a one stroke penalty for dropping in the hazard, or a two stroke penalty for dropping on the grass behind the hazard.
    Yes, he should have received an additional stroke penalty.

    The rules of golf really aren't as complex as they sound. Basically, that particular rule is saying to play the ball where it lies, or drop and take a stroke. But the key here is where to drop. He has to drop as close as possible to the original position of the ball, including in the hazard. If he chooses to not drop in the hazard, he has to take an additional stroke.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  26. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    Yes, he should have received an additional stroke penalty.

    The rules of golf really aren't as complex as they sound. Basically, that particular rule is saying to play the ball where it lies, or drop and take a stroke. But the key here is where to drop. He has to drop as close as possible to the original position of the ball, including in the hazard. If he chooses to not drop in the hazard, he has to take an additional stroke.
    But is that the applicable rule? Is hitting from a bunker beside a water hazard the same as "playing a ball from within a water hazard?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  27. #57
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    But is that the applicable rule? Is hitting from a bunker beside a water hazard the same as "playing a ball from within a water hazard?
    No. The trap and water are two separate hazards.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  28. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    No. The trap and water are two separate hazards.
    Agreed. So since that rule cited by RC doesn't apply to this particular scenario, which rule states that dropping outside of the hazard to hit is a two stroke penalty?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  29. #59

    Default

    I played Spanish Oaks on Friday, shot an 84. Had an eagle Putt on number 2 and four putted from about 10 feet (the greens are like an ice rink). Had another eagle putt on 18 (this time about 60 feet away) four putted again.

    I wanted to shoot myself.
    *Banned*

  30. #60
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Agreed. So since that rule cited by RC doesn't apply to this particular scenario, which rule states that dropping outside of the hazard to hit is a two stroke penalty?
    Ok, I've re-read your post about what happened and I see what you're asking now and now question my thinking that it's an additional stroke penalty.

    It would seem that he was ok dropping behind where he originally crossed the hazard.

    I take back my comment that the rules really aren't that complex.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •