Page 13 of 113 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 390 of 3366

Thread: The Golf Thread

  1. #361
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    D-hole, shaka and CJ are not going to believe this but I just shot a 6 over 42 on the front 9 at riverside. Whatever happened on the back nine at TP to my game has stuck.

  2. #362
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    D-hole, shaka and CJ are not going to believe this but I just shot a 6 over 42 on the front 9 at riverside. Whatever happened on the back nine at TP to my game has stuck.
    Good for you. I really like Riverside. I had a carryover from TP. I shot a 89 on Weds. and a 93 on Fri. I was quite proud of myself though. Only one club thrown in the two rounds. Sat. an 82. I hope I have shaken it.

  3. #363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    D-hole, shaka and CJ are not going to believe this but I just shot a 6 over 42 on the front 9 at riverside. Whatever happened on the back nine at TP to my game has stuck.
    I have not played since TP at all. I can see you shooting that, like I said you have a good swing it was just clear that you do not play often enough. I am sure you are good at other sports as well some guys just have natural athletic ability, for me nothing comes natural.
    *Banned*

  4. #364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    D-hole, shaka and CJ are not going to believe this but I just shot a 6 over 42 on the front 9 at riverside. Whatever happened on the back nine at TP to my game has stuck.
    That does not surprise me at all. You have an effortless swing, which, when controlled, lends itself to a beautiful, power-draw ball flight. That drive you hit on # 8 at TG was about as perfect a drive as i've ever seen.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  5. #365

    Default

    I played at Badlands this morning. Went out in 46. The Desperado 9 at Badlands is pretty short, so I was hitting (duffing) my hybrid 2 off the tee all round, which ended up costing me quite a few strokes. My irons were money, and on the back, when I started using my driver to tee off, I was on fire. 6 of 7 fairways and 7 of 9 greens. I even chipped in for birdie on one of the par 3s. I came in at 38 to finish with 84.

    To make my round even better, one of the guys I played with gave (gave, as in free. gratis) me a nearly-new Cleveland 60-degree wedge. He saw me chipping with my 56, and asked why I didn't use a 60. I told him I didn't have one, and he said "I have 3. You want one?" Good way to start the weekend.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  6. #366
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    7,997

    Default

    http://www.tetonsprings.com/golf/pro.../golf_club.htm

    I'll be playing here tomorrow. These are by far the best greens I have ever played. They are fast (13) and true. With the leaves turning and the Tetons in the background it should be fun in spite of the big number I'm afraid I'll shoot tomorrow.

  7. #367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    http://www.tetonsprings.com/golf/pro.../golf_club.htm

    I'll be playing here tomorrow. These are by far the best greens I have ever played. They are fast (13) and true. With the leaves turning and the Tetons in the background it should be fun in spite of the big number I'm afraid I'll shoot tomorrow.
    That looks awesome. Be sure to return and report.

    EDIT: And LONG! A couple 500 yard Par 4s. Driver, 3-wood into the green is always fun.
    Last edited by Donuthole; 10-16-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  8. #368
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I played at Badlands this morning. Went out in 46. The Desperado 9 at Badlands is pretty short, so I was hitting (duffing) my hybrid 2 off the tee all round, which ended up costing me quite a few strokes. My irons were money, and on the back, when I started using my driver to tee off, I was on fire. 6 of 7 fairways and 7 of 9 greens. I even chipped in for birdie on one of the par 3s. I came in at 38 to finish with 84.

    To make my round even better, one of the guys I played with gave (gave, as in free. gratis) me a nearly-new Cleveland 60-degree wedge. He saw me chipping with my 56, and asked why I didn't use a 60. I told him I didn't have one, and he said "I have 3. You want one?" Good way to start the weekend.
    You should have asked him for his other one too!!!!

  9. #369
    Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Davis County, UT
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    I played today at Bountiful Ridge, and it was a near perfect day. The temperature was great and there was just a slight breeze. I walked 18 and despite the hills, I barely broke a sweat.
    The fall colors are brilliant right now. I finished in just under 3 hours. I shot my best round of the year (89). I only lost one ball, but found 6 good balls. I even had a chip-in birdie. It was such a gorgeous day, I had to tell someone.

  10. #370
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default

    Didnt play this weekend, but I went to the local pro shop and bought my 10 y.o. clubs for his birthday. While I was there, I hit the new ping i15's. I really like them, but I want to hit other clubs first. Mrs. DT has promised me new clubs for Christmas, so I need to get cracking.

    They have the new Mizuno's there (mx300's) but they want 899.00 for the irons and I didnt have the chance to hit them. Does the price seem high? Seems I can get them cheaper elsewhere.

    Their price on the Pings is $799.00. They charge $90 to be fit, but give you $45.00 discount if you buy the clubs from them. I want to get the best deal possible, so I need to shop around.

    Any other club recomendations?

  11. #371
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    Didnt play this weekend, but I went to the local pro shop and bought my 10 y.o. clubs for his birthday. While I was there, I hit the new ping i15's. I really like them, but I want to hit other clubs first. Mrs. DT has promised me new clubs for Christmas, so I need to get cracking.

    They have the new Mizuno's there (mx300's) but they want 899.00 for the irons and I didnt have the chance to hit them. Does the price seem high? Seems I can get them cheaper elsewhere.

    Their price on the Pings is $799.00. They charge $90 to be fit, but give you $45.00 discount if you buy the clubs from them. I want to get the best deal possible, so I need to shop around.

    Any other club recomendations?
    The Taylor Made Burners. Everyone I know that hits them has loved them. They only give you half the money of the fitting back to you if you buy clubs from them? I thought most places that do the fitting free if you buy from them.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  12. #372

    Default

    Played Sleepy Ridge in Orem last week, shot a 44 on the front, and a 38 on the back. I was even through 8 on the back and doubled the 18th. So while I was happy with my round I was not happy with my finish. Also I fixed my slice, I am ready for the next CUF tourney.
    *Banned*

  13. #373
    Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Davis County, UT
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    My dad recently got fitted for Ping i15's. I think the fitting was included in the price of the clubs.

    He was very impressed by the Ping rep that did the fitting. Very knowledgable, and he went into a lot more detail than the guys at Uinta golf. He will also do a follow-up fitting. After my dad plays 6-7 rounds, the Ping rep told him not to wash or wipe his clubs after his last round and let the rep look at them to see where he is striking the ball, and where the club is striking the ground.

    The Pings are also very light compared to my Taylormades. Next time I am in the marked for irons I think I will save up and do the same thing.

  14. #374
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default

    When I worked in a pro shop and fit people for clubs, we never charged. They charge so people dont get fit, then run to ebay or the internet to buy. Used to happen to us all the time.

  15. #375

    Default

    My $.02: buy a $150-200 pair of knockoffs and use the extra $300-400 to play a lot more golf. Until you are a low-single digit handicapper, cutting-edge, name-brand equipment will do little to nothing for your game, but an extra 20 rounds of golf will knock a lot of strokes off your scores.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  16. #376
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,938

    Default

    Played in a tournament with my Dad today. It was a 4 man scramble with 20 teams. It was beautiful weather for golf. Also, golfing this time of the year on the east coast can be breathtaking with the fall colors. But if you don't find the fairway, goodbye ball because the leaves make it impossible to find.

    They had two holes for longest drive and another two for closest to the pin. I thought I'd take the LD contest on at least one of the holes. I played this course a week and a half ago and I four drives in the fairway over 300 yards. The crappy part is with the shotgun start we had to start with a LD hole and I pulled mine out of the fairway. Same with the next one. And then I couldn't find the green on the two CTP holes.

    Such is my luck, the other two par 3s I nailed. One was the shot of the day. 226 yards to the front of the green. I hit my 5 wood to 3 feet for an easy birdie. And then we finished on a 166 yard par 3 where I parked the ball 4 feet from the hole.

    The door prizes were pretty good. My dad was the only one in our foursome not to win something. I won a nice Walter Hagen stand bag, but I have a Maxfli stand bag I love so I traded it for a $40 gift card to another guy in our foursome who had an old crappy vinyl bag that is cracking and peeling. The other guy won 4 free rounds of golf at that course. I wish I won that won. It was a great time even though we sucked. We finished even. The winning team shot a 61.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  17. #377
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,938

    Default

    So I shouldn't have looked up the price of that golf bag I traded for a $40 gift card. The bag retails for $179.99.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  18. #378
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    My $.02: buy a $150-200 pair of knockoffs and use the extra $300-400 to play a lot more golf. Until you are a low-single digit handicapper, cutting-edge, name-brand equipment will do little to nothing for your game, but an extra 20 rounds of golf will knock a lot of strokes off your scores.
    I can recommend a good knock off brand: Acer. They came pre-loaded with Windows XP. I just had to print them out and I was off to the range.

  19. #379

    Default

    I played golf with Gipper and Tony Finau last Friday. I also now know who wins Big Break.

    We played out at the Ranches, both of them are so long it is sickening. Gipper hits gap wedge about 160, if a hole is less than 400 yard they have a legit shot at driving the green. They both have sky caddies and during 18 holes Gippers averaging driving distance was about 350, and Tonys 345. Great kids too, seriously nice guys and phenomenal golfers.
    *Banned*

  20. #380
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,455

    Default

    I have a sky caddie but I don't think I am getting everything out of it that I should. I don't know how to mark driving distances and the like.

    You don't happen to know do ya?

  21. #381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    I have a sky caddie but I don't think I am getting everything out of it that I should. I don't know how to mark driving distances and the like.

    You don't happen to know do ya?
    I dont, I know that after they hit their shots they would push something on the Caddie and then when we drove up to their ball it would tell you the distance and store it. No idea what exactly they pushed.
    *Banned*

  22. #382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I also now know who wins Big Break.
    If true, the Finau brothers continue to demonstrate their stupidity. While it's pretty obvious turning pro when they did was a mistake (though financially driven, so somewhat understaneable), divulging the winner of Big Break is just plain stupid. Like in all reality shows, they sign a confidentiality agreement, and they would be liable for a hefty chunk of change if they break it. I'm not questioning your ability to keep a secret, CJ, but if they told you, they've probably told others as well.They better hope they haven't divulged it to anyone they can't trust not to leak it.
    Last edited by Donuthole; 10-27-2009 at 09:10 PM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  23. #383
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,712

    Default

    A great client belongs to the Olympic Club and he took me there again today, apologizing for not having done so sooner (it had been over a year, jeez). The course features a couple of new tees in preparation for the 2012 Open. Perfect weather and hardly anyone on the course. We got around in less than 3 1/2 hours and I was happy to shoot a 91, given that I'm playing about once a month these days.

    He alternates months in the U.S. and Taiwan, and suggested I call him anytime I want to play Olympic if he's in town. OK!

    Pressing my luck, I asked if he would be able to land me tickets to the Open in 2012. "Sure, would you like them for Pebble next year, too?", he asked seriously. Well, why not. I'll probably go easy on his next bill.

  24. #384
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    A great client belongs to the Olympic Club and he took me there again today, apologizing for not having done so sooner (it had been over a year, jeez). The course features a couple of new tees in preparation for the 2012 Open. Perfect weather and hardly anyone on the course. We got around in less than 3 1/2 hours and I was happy to shoot a 91, given that I'm playing about once a month these days.

    He alternates months in the U.S. and Taiwan, and suggested I call him anytime I want to play Olympic if he's in town. OK!

    Pressing my luck, I asked if he would be able to land me tickets to the Open in 2012. "Sure, would you like them for Pebble next year, too?", he asked seriously. Well, why not. I'll probably go easy on his next bill.
    A.W.E.S.O.M.E.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  25. #385
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,938

    Default

    What golf instructional DVD would you recommend? I am looking at the Phil Mickelson Secrets of the Short Game DVD for my dad for Christmas. Is it as good as advertised? Any others you guys like? My dad shoots high 80's consistently.

    I am going to get him some alignment sticks. BTW, go to Lowes or Home Depot for these. They're driveway/plow/guide markers sold where the mailboxes usually are. They're the exact same things as the sticks found online that the pros use at a fraction of the cost. I know online companies sell them for about $15-20. At your department store they're $1.50/ea.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  26. #386
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    What golf instructional DVD would you recommend? I am looking at the Phil Mickelson Secrets of the Short Game DVD for my dad for Christmas. Is it as good as advertised? Any others you guys like? My dad shoots high 80's consistently.

    I am going to get him some alignment sticks. BTW, go to Lowes or Home Depot for these. They're driveway/plow/guide markers sold where the mailboxes usually are. They're the exact same things as the sticks found online that the pros use at a fraction of the cost. I know online companies sell them for about $15-20. At your department store they're $1.50/ea.
    I like Jim McLean's 8 step swing, but your dad probably doesn't need it if hes in the 80s.

    What are alignment sticks?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  27. #387
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I like Jim McLean's 8 step swing, but your dad probably doesn't need it if hes in the 80s.

    What are alignment sticks?
    He's high 80's though.

    http://www.toursticks.com/
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  28. #388

    Default

    Surfah I actually own 4 DVDs.

    1. Tom Lehman Driving for distance and Accuracy
    2. Golf for dummies (not a bad DVD at all, more advanced than you would think)
    3. David Leadbetter The Swing
    4. David Leadbetter Simple Secrets of Great Golf


    Believe it or not I bought them all at various times at the check out lines at TJ Maxx. They have them there for cheap (about $5) and they are all solid DVDs.
    *Banned*

  29. #389
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,455

    Default

    I know it isn't in most of the budgets...but the Skygolf SG5 just got really really awesome.

    They did a software update last week that now allows for the stupid device to become really really smart and do what most folks were wanting it to do.

    You can:

    Save up to 10 rounds on the device before you have to sync up.

    Record when FIR, and GIR.

    You then get to upload it online to you skygolf account and it works your average and the whole bit.

    It averages what you shoot on 3's, 4's, and 5's. It also lets you compare to other folks with your same handicap.

    Some sweet stuff.

    Now I can't wait until Christmas shows up so I can start using my new sticks.

    Oh yeah...it also lets you list your equipment online for folks to check out what is in your bag. Nice.

  30. #390
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Equiptment update

    Right before Halloween, I bought a new set of clubs. I got 09 Taylormade Burners. I played them 1 round, and the next round while on the driving range, I broke the head off of the 4 iron. I had never broken a steel shafted club before, but have broken my fair share of graphite shafts, 2 in 1 round. Taylormade said it was a weak spot in the shaft.

    I hit these clubs alot longer than my previous set. 1.5-2 clubs longer. I knew they were de-lofted, but holy hell, what a difference. It really threw me off.

    After playing a few rounds with them, I still couldn't get used to the yardage I was hitting them. I also want liking that the clubs were 1/2" longer than my old set as well. I was taking huge divots with them. After 4 rounds, I decided to sell them.

    I just ordered a set of Adams Idea Tech A4 forged irons. The set id a 3 and 4 hybrid and 5-PW. I went to the pro shop and hit them and they feel really nice. They are supposed to show up Christmas eve.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •