No announcement yet.

The Golf Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see he uses the "temple grip" on his clubs. I've always wondered if any of the 15 were avid golfers.
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 04-26-2012, 10:57 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Saturday's Men's Club Report.

44+38=82

I won $28 !! - Had a pay ball birdie on the #3 handicap 5th hole.

This was my third round of walking, and just as predicted, it's getting easier. I think walking is better for the game than riding. So far I'm doing good till about the 12th hole where my right hip starts to bug me, but so far it hasn't slowed me down.

1st - Good drive - good wedge - good putt - tap in par.
      2nd - Plugged drive into fairway trap, with fried egg, took me two shots to exit trap. on in 5 and a decent two putt for DB.
      3rd - Great drive to 155, wet plugged just shy of green, bad chip, 2 putts for bogey.
      4th - Trap high left - awkward pitch - 3 putt DB.
      5th - Great drive, 7 iron to 10' = 1 putt bird.
      6th - Fair drive, 5 wood into tree, shook tree to get ball out, 1 penalty stroke, on in 4, 2 putt bogey.
      7th - Perfect trap draw 7 iron 3' through the green (shoulda used an 8 at 145 yards) chip 10' past - 2 putt bogey.
      8th - Great Drive - Wedge from 106 to deep back pin - 2 feet off green pitched to 1" - tap in par.
      9th - High Fade into tree line, punched low to 125 - hit 9 into green - 3 putted - missed a three footer for par. DB

10th - Great Drive - 138 8 iron to 8 feet missed birdie, tap in par.
      11th - Almost Perfect wedge into par 3 - 10' past pin (tees up) with fast down hill putt - Bird lipped and the ball pick up momentum and went to lower tier of green - left with a 10 up hill putt for par - tap in bogey.
      12th - Par 5 10' in front of green in 2 - bad/long chip 2 putted for par.
      13th - 8 iron into par three - easy two putt for par.
      14th - Snap hook into trees bounce back to fairway, but 230 yards out. hit to shy of the green, chipped long to back of the green, chipped again down hill to 10' past the hole. Made putt for bogey.
      15th - Great long drive on the par 5. Faded 2nd into 150' tall Redwoods on right. Chipped out towards the green with 5 iron, ball never got 5 feet off the ground but made the green, 2 putt par.
      16th - Great drive, 140 second plugged into muck in front of green, chipped to 2" - tap in par.
      17th - Beautiful wedge - missed 15' bird, tap in par.
      18th - Par 5 - Long Fade drive - faded 3 wood into tree line. chipped low with 5 iron from 100 onto the green - 2 putt par.

Playing partners were good, and kept the pace of play. 4th round with new Ping's and they are literally saving me 3/4 shots a round. I can't wait for dryer conditions to see a better compression on the ball. Played a Callaway Diablo Tour. Nice ball, long enough, spins enough, and it looks like you can get 2/3 rounds with the ball looking still new.

The club pays out for low gross. There are only like 5 people that win low gross at any given time, and with 60 guys paying $10 these guy can pocket some real consistent cash - enough to pay for golf. The Club also pays for low net. It's a real art to get low net. All of a sudden a 18 handicapper shoots a 82 for a low net of 64 - I'd have to shoot a legit 74 just to be in the game. The only time I make any money is on Birdies on holes that no one else out of 60 guys didn't get a birdie on. $28 bucks isn't too shabby.
      Last edited by clackamascoug; 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• DT and I went golfing on Friday. I shot an 88. First time back in the 80's in about 6 months. It was nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
          DT and I went golfing on Friday. I shot an 88. First time back in the 80's in about 6 months. It was nice.
          Congrats to you and also congrats to Clacks on his good round.

I am now a 15 and Saturday was a individual net and gross tournament at the course. Of course I was in the upper net division.

I miss a 3 foot putt for par on the first hole and then get it together. Going into 16 I am 5 over and I knew I would be the winner by quite a ways.

16,17 and 18 get me everytime. It is in my head. However, even bogey, double bogey and bogey I am sure will win.

I go triple, triple, triple and lose by 2 shots. I went out and played the back nine again with a couple of friends and on those holes went par, bogey, par.

Yep, I folded under pressure.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            Congrats to you and also congrats to Clacks on his good round.

I am now a 15 and Saturday was a individual net and gross tournament at the course. Of course I was in the upper net division.

I miss a 3 foot putt for par on the first hole and then get it together. Going into 16 I am 5 over and I knew I would be the winner by quite a ways.

16,17 and 18 get me everytime. It is in my head. However, even bogey, double bogey and bogey I am sure will win.

I go triple, triple, triple and lose by 2 shots. I went out and played the back nine again with a couple of friends and on those holes went par, bogey, par.

Yep, I folded under pressure.
            I'm sorry - but I buck snorted, laughed out loud, (with you, not at you) at your triple-triple-triple finish to lose by 2. That's just awful... but also one of the reasons we keep coming back for more. If you don't pass the putter in a couple of days, you might need to see a doctor.
            Last edited by clackamascoug; 04-29-2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• I got fitted for a set of these before I left on a cruise over a week ago. I hope they are here by the time my league round on Wednesday.

Comment

• So my 21 year old son was convinced by his older brother to come and live in Provo for the summer. Hopefully longer. They plan on doing a lot of golfing, so my son requisitioned my 60* wedge for the occasion. That left me with 13 clubs in my bag, so I headed off to Golfsmith today and looked around. One of the salesmen there is a guy I used to play golf with 25 years ago, we got to talking and he told me that all the rage now is the Mizuno MP series wedges, with the "Spinner" Shafts. He said that they create a lot more spin on the ball than the Volkey's. He was a big Volkey fan, but has put 2 of the Mizuno's into his bag to replace his 56* and 60*. So.... I ended up buying this... in the 60* with 5* of bounce.

Mizuno MP-12R 60*-05*

The good news os they make the ball spin like crazy, the bad news is that they chew up and spit out balls like crazy. We'll have to see how that goes...
                Last edited by clackamascoug; 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                  I'm sorry - but I buck snorted, laughed out loud, (with you, not at you) at your triple-triple-triple finish to lose by 2. That's just awful... but also one of the reasons we keep coming back for more. If you don't pass the putter in a couple of days, you might need to see a doctor.
                  Yours is not the only buck snort I heard.

Comment

• I'm playing 18 this afternoon to get warmed up for league tonight. I will not lose again to some sandbagging 80 year old!
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      I'm playing 18 this afternoon to get warmed up for league tonight. I will not lose again to some sandbagging 80 year old!
                      I'm sorry HFN but I'm betting that some old fart will kick your ass. I hate playing agaisnt them. They just pop it down the middle about 210 with a driver, hit their three or four wood up by the green and then get up and down for par while we try to hit it 320 yards so we can have that half wedge into the green, a shot we don't have in our bag. Good luck but I've got a bad feeling about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                        I'm sorry HFN but I'm betting that some old fart will kick your ass. I hate playing agaisnt them. They just pop it down the middle about 210 with a driver, hit their three or four wood up by the green and then get up and down for par while we try to hit it 320 yards so we can have that half wedge into the green, a shot we don't have in our bag. Good luck but I've got a bad feeling about it.
                        So true. Reminds me of the time I played with BYU71 at Aliante here in Vegas. On the #1 handicap hole on the course (440 par 4) I absolutely murdered a drive almost 350 yards (we had a pretty strong wind at our backs that day), cutting the corner of the dog leg just a bit to shorten the hole even further. Just one of those drives that you hit and you immediately know it's going to be deep. Meanwhile, BYU 71 hit a very nice 230 yard drive down the middle.

He steps up and hits a hybrid 3-iron (might have even been a 5-wood) to within about 6 feet. I get up to my ball and find that it rolled through the fairway and is sitting in some rough. I'm 90 yards out, which is a bit much for my lob wedge out of the rough, and is definitely too short for my 56 degree. I give a 3/4 swing with the 56, but the ball jumps out of the rough and I fly the green. A chip and a two-putt later, I had a bogey. 71 made his putt for a birdie and said something to the effect of "that was a really nice drive you had there" as he picked his ball up out of the hole.

FTR, I do not mean in any way to lump 71 in with a sandbagging 80-year old. I just use this story to illustrate RCV's point.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          So true. Reminds me of the time I played with BYU71 at Aliante here in Vegas. On the #1 handicap hole on the course (440 par 4) I absolutely murdered a drive almost 350 yards (we had a pretty strong wind at our backs that day), cutting the corner of the dog leg just a bit to shorten the hole even further. Just one of those drives that you hit and you immediately know it's going to be deep. Meanwhile, BYU 71 hit a very nice 230 yard drive down the middle.

He steps up and hits a hybrid 3-iron (might have even been a 5-wood) to within about 6 feet. I get up to my ball and find that it rolled through the fairway and is sitting in some rough. I'm 90 yards out, which is a bit much for my lob wedge out of the rough, and is definitely too short for my 56 degree. I give a 3/4 swing with the 56, but the ball jumps out of the rough and I fly the green. A chip and a two-putt later, I had a bogey. 71 made his putt for a birdie and said something to the effect of "that was a really nice drive you had there" as he picked his ball up out of the hole.

FTR, I do not mean in any way to lump 71 in with a sandbagging 80-year old. I just use this story to illustrate RCV's point.
                          That was a fluke and you know it. Thanks for being kind though.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            That was a fluke and you know it. Thanks for being kind though.
                            For the record, I have no stories of great golfing exploits from '71 the round we played together. The only thing I remember was a conversation from a fan about the fireside BYU had in Tucson in 2006 to which '71 responded: "I don't give a fuck about the fireside, they lost the damn game!" Indeed, he was a kindred spirit.

I yelled over to PAC that we got a birdie anyone who disagreed could deal with IPU and his concealed weapon permit.
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Shanking everything again today. BLEEPITY BLEEP BLEEP. No score.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                                For the record, I have no stories of great golfing exploits from '71 the round we played together. The only thing I remember was a conversation from a fan about the fireside BYU had in Tucson in 2006 to which '71 responded: "I don't give a fuck about the fireside, they lost the damn game!" Indeed, he was a kindred spirit.

I yelled over to PAC that we got a birdie anyone who disagreed could deal with IPU and his concealed weapon permit.
                                LOL, pretty close to a true story. I am pretty sure the quote would have been, "I don't give a shit............."

Comment

Working...
                                X