The Golf Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    I've struggled with this from the beginning. I experiment all the time, and slowing things down never seems to bring any consistency, even when I try to endure with it for several weeks. I had one lesson, and the pro didn't try to slow my swing down, but we focused on a slower more controlled back swing, keeping head down, and a big follow through high and out. Those are my swing thoughts.

Really, I would feel fantastic about being single digits hitting 250 yard drives down the middle of the fairway.

When I slow my swing speed down, I feel like a baseball pitcher who is trying to "aim it" vs "rear back and fire". For non baseball players, a pitcher who is struggling with aim will get worse if he breaks his form and tries to slow it down and aim it.

I think the swing speed is from being tall with long arms more than overswinging, but I could be wrong.

I'm getting better at identifying when I'm overswinging. My longest drives and irons are the ones where I do good in taking my arms out of it.
    Maybe instead of "slow" think of the word "smooth". My problem actually isn't the speed, it is that I take it back fast, but smooth and then get totally carried away on the downswing trying to hit it far.

On thing that helps is to think "Johnny" on the back swing and "Miller" on the downswing. Seems to make it a smoother swing.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      On thing that helps is to think "Johnny" on the back swing and "Miller" on the downswing. Seems to make it a smoother swing.
      I'm playing in about an hour, I'll try this technique.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

• My swing thought is to keep my head still over the ball, and my hands in the same position when I strike the ball. The hands in the right position when you hit the ball is the single biggest component of the golf swing. The reason Jim Furyk is so good with his funky swing, is that his hands are always in the right position with the club head moving at the target. Open faces push or slice, closed faces pull or hook. Straight faces moving straight at the target line somehow end up going straight toward the target. Hands-Hands-Hands. Then work on the consistent swing plane. No loopiness. Those three things - Still head - Straight Hands - Consistent swing plane - will get just about anybody shooting high 70's low 80's.

(My Pings still aren't here after 3 weeks - any day now.)

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Sucked. Today. Bigtime. At. Valley View.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
            Sucked. Today. Bigtime. At. Valley View.
            Welcome to golf! Just when you think you're starting to figure it out, you play a round that makes you wonder what the hell you are doing wrong.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Only played 9 because it started pouring, the Johnny-Miller technique is stupid. No offense 71.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                Only played 9 because it started pouring, the Johnny-Miller technique is stupid. No offense 71.
                Try the Sienna Miller technique, next time.

Comment

Only played 9 because it started pouring, the Johnny-Miller technique is stupid. No offense 71.
                  Sorry. I should have mentioned the technique has to be modified to fit the player. Perhaps Riley Nelson would be better for you.

Shot an 86 today. Felt Ok about it because I went triple bogey, double bogey the last two holes.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                    Sucked. Today. Bigtime. At. Valley View.
                    Valley View does that to a lot of people.i enjoy the course, but always shoot 5-7 strokes higher than usual.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                      Valley View does that to a lot of people.i enjoy the course, but always shoot 5-7 strokes higher than usual.
                      Tough course and tough round yesterday for a neophyte. Today, I took the pro out and two other buddies and fixed the damage incurred at Valley View. Did some good things. Back on track to shoot 90 this summer.

Comment

• I'm looking to take some lessons. Anyone have a teaching pro recommendation in Salt Lake or northern Utah County? I want to beat Kdog to shooting 90.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                          I'm looking to take some lessons. Anyone have a teaching pro recommendation in Salt Lake or northern Utah County? I want to beat Kdog to shooting 90.
                          How about a race? You guys to 90 and me to 79. Winner gets his lunch paid for by the other two.

Comment

I tried it in my backyard yesterday and it worked!
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

How about a race? You guys to 90 and me to 79. Winner gets his lunch paid for by the other two.
                              '

You are on sir.

For the record I used to break 90 on a regular basis. I'm not sure what's been going on the last few years. Hence the need for a pro.

Comment

I'm in. I hope to hit 90 on 18 by the end of the summer.

Comment

Working...
                                X