No announcement yet.

The Golf Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had it going pretty good yesterday. 1 over going into 16. Easy par 5. Good drive, take out lay up club and chunk it. Still only 160 out but bad lie. Hit it in water and double bogey. Follow up with a double and a bogey to finish at 78. Still good for me, but could have been really good.

We were playing lift clean and place in fairways.

Comment

• Welcome to the club, worst round in months 50-50. Boo
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        Welcome to the club, worst round in months 50-50. Boo
        Sorry. Your orientation must have got you discombobulated. They've got lots of water on that course.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Vacation week. Zion National Park. Was able to sneak in a round at Sky Mountain in Hurricane on Tuesday. That course has amazing views and greens were in great condition. Shot my 3rd lowest round at 84. Putter was hot with only 30 putts. Now if only I could increase my GIR
          ( FYI I most likely wrote that incoherently and will be properly corrected forthwith. Thanks)

Comment

• What is wrong with Robert Allenby?

Comment

• Had a good time golfing with Donut and fus this weekend in Vegas. I put up back to back rounds in the 80s, also a round over 100, so kind of like a round of craps.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

• My most excellent former bishop called last night and twisted my arm so I blew off work this morning and joined his foursome at the nearby CC. He and his son are 6's, and he paired his son with me against him and the visiting Mark Bigelow (he's working back east for three years or so but supposedly will return), who's still a very good dude.

My team was down by a lot midway through, in large measure because I was sucking. But I parred five of the last seven and we pulled it out on the last hole. It was surprisingly intense, as the other three were VERY competitive. But I got into the spirit of things and just before a critical putt by Bigs, I whispered "Lonnie Dixon," resulting in a crucial miss. At the outset our host said we were playing for $1,000 a point, so I'm up a couple of grand, which is nice.

Edit: Lest I be misunderstood, in truth my winnings consisted of a post-round Diet Coke.
                Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 08-10-2015, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  My most excellent former bishop called last night and twisted my arm so I blew off work this morning and joined his foursome at the nearby CC. He and his son are 6's, and he paired his son with me against him and the visiting Mark Bigelow (he's working back east for three years or so but supposedly will return), who's still a very good dude.

My team was down by a lot midway through, in large measure because I was sucking. But I parred five of the last seven and we pulled it out on the last hole. It was surprisingly intense, as the other three were VERY competitive. But I got into the spirit of things and just before a critical putt by Bigs, I whispered "Lonnie Dixon," resulting in a crucial miss. At the outset our host said we were playing for $1,000 a point, so I'm up a couple of grand, which is nice.
                  Way to go!

Comment

But I got into the spirit of things and just before a critical putt by Bigs, I whispered "Lonnie Dixon," resulting in a crucial miss.
                    Too soon.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I played with Tick at Hobble Creek on Friday. He played well. I didn't.

It rained the entire time.
                      *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                        Too soon.
                        Hey, it was the heat of battle and I couldn't resist. After he got done laughing, Mark said that ESPN ripped on him during the game, but when replay analysis later showed the Dixon had, in fact, blown his whistle and Bigelow had committed no foul, ESPN's announcers at the next game apologized to him at great length, almost as if he was going to sue them for defamation. He just laughs it off now.

BTW, this from the Wikipedia entry on Lonnie Dixon:

Dixon was suspended by the Mountain West Conference in February 2004 for "inadvertently" blowing his whistle during a BYU/New Mexico basketball game, but did not admit to it during the game. The whistle caused BYU player Mark Bigelow to believe play was stopped and stepped on the court from the bench. Bigelow was called for a technical foul, and New Mexico eventually beat BYU 65-63. Dixon was not allowed to call his next 2 games, as well as the Mountain West Conference Tournament.
                        Dixon died four years ago, btw.

Comment

Dixon died four years ago, btw.
                          He is a horrible human being and the world is better off without him.
                          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• I am back to playing to somewhere between a 16-18. After shooting my all time low I followed it up with a few rounds in the 90's. I was talked into playing in our city amateur but had to play to a 10. I came in dead ass last carding a 97/106 over 2 days.
                            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• August 2015 019.jpgAugust 2015 017.jpg

Played on the best conditioned course I personally have ever played yesterday. Wow! I didn't want to walk on the fairways or create a divot. Absolutely beautiful. Didn't hurt that I played under my handicap by 7 strokes with a 83. Red Rock Country Club/Mountain Course
                              Last edited by Y84it; 08-18-2015, 11:18 AM.
                              ( FYI I most likely wrote that incoherently and will be properly corrected forthwith. Thanks)

Comment

• That turf looks artificial. I don't see how any turf in America cold be better than that picture. What do the greens look like?

Comment

Working...
                                X