Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 219

Thread: Podcast Central

  1. #181
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    step one: stop getting paid in six minute increments
    I'm sure those clubs are devoid of lawyers.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  2. #182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I'm sure those clubs are devoid of lawyers.
    bro those guys' days of cranking out .1 at a time are over for the most part (at least at a decent club, not some backwoods nouveau riche shithole like oakridge)
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  3. #183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I'm not a member, but did the podcast have any tips on how to join those courses?
    Indeed. You can start planning seriously when you have a quarter million dollars.

  4. #184
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,955

    Default

    Listened to the Joe Rogan Experience with Megan Phelps-Roper, granddaughter of Fred Phelps and daughter of Shirley Phelps-Roper of the Westboro Baptist Church. She has left the church and it was a really interesting listen. I guess she gave a Ted talk that I'm going to look for as well.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  5. #185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Listened to the Joe Rogan Experience with Megan Phelps-Roper, granddaughter of Fred Phelps and daughter of Shirley Phelps-Roper of the Westboro Baptist Church. She has left the church and it was a really interesting listen. I guess she gave a Ted talk that I'm going to look for as well.
    good atlantic article too. somebody posted it recently.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  6. #186
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,281

    Default

    Mike Rapaport's podcast is hilarious. Not going to be an intellectual listen- just a hip-hop flavored podcast with guys with strong NY accents talkin' s*t.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  7. #187

    Default

    A while back Radiolab ran an episode of 'On the Media' about poverty in the US. It was an excerpt of a 5 part series. The excerpt was good but sobering/depressing. I wanted to get more depressed about poverty here, so I listened to the 5 part episode while driving to pick up my daughter from university. I think it does a pretty good job debunking the myth that the US has the best upward mobility in the world.

    http://www.wnyc.org/series/busted-am...poverty-myths/

    Turns out they put out a lot of episodes. I don't download most of them, but when I'm done with something else one of the unplayed episodes will start playing. It focuses on stories about the media, like how recent events are portrayed and news in general. The hosts have that typical NPR sound, and their biases aren't hidden. Trump factors in heavily in a lot of them. But they do have interesting guests. Most of them go unlistened, but when an interesting one starts I finish it.

  8. #188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Listened to the Joe Rogan Experience with Megan Phelps-Roper, granddaughter of Fred Phelps and daughter of Shirley Phelps-Roper of the Westboro Baptist Church. She has left the church and it was a really interesting listen. I guess she gave a Ted talk that I'm going to look for as well.
    this was a good episode. she is an interesting and very smart person. joe rogan is a knuckle dragging dingus, however, and his neanderthal brain must have trouble with nuance.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  9. #189
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    this was a good episode. she is an interesting and very smart person. joe rogan is a knuckle dragging dingus, however, and his neanderthal brain must have trouble with nuance.
    Why- what happened? He usually tries to cut it pretty objective, although his brain is pretty normal. I wouldn't call him stupid.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  10. #190

    Default

    any barstool listeners? pmt is the best nfl podcast and it’s not close.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  11. #191
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    any barstool listeners? pmt is the best nfl podcast and its not close.
    Mike Rap is barstool-affiliated now. You do get a bit of fantasy football/nfl/nba talk but not too much.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  12. #192

    Default

    The recent This American Life profiling Jeff Flake and his work for DACA is interesting. His religion is briefly discussed, including a favorite passage of his in Alma. I do believe that it's the first time that Pahoran and Moroni have ever been discussed in the national media. And if you can believe it, there is an allusion to Trump being Pahoran and Flake being Moroni.

    https://www.thisamericanlife.org/642...possible-dream

    The Moroni/Pahoran part starts around minute 37.

  13. #193
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    any barstool listeners? pmt is the best nfl podcast and it’s not close.
    Ahhh now I get why you called Mike Rap a punk!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  14. #194
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    The recent This American Life profiling Jeff Flake and his work for DACA is interesting. His religion is briefly discussed, including a favorite passage of his in Alma. I do believe that it's the first time that Pahoran and Moroni have ever been discussed in the national media. And if you can believe it, there is an allusion to Trump being Pahoran and Flake being Moroni.

    https://www.thisamericanlife.org/642...possible-dream

    The Moroni/Pahoran part starts around minute 37.
    Trump as Pahoran? If only. Fun to imagine Pahoran tweeting Moroni to lighten up, though.

  15. #195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Trump as Pahoran? If only. Fun to imagine Pahoran tweeting Moroni to lighten up, though.
    It would probably go something like this:

    Moroni: But behold, this is not allye have withheld your provisions from them, insomuch that many have fought and bled out their lives because of their great desires which they had for the welfare of this people; yea, and this they have done when they were about to perish with hunger, because of your exceedingly great neglect towards them.

    Pahoran: I want to make Zarahemla great again. "Moron" Moroni has been fighting his war for too long. He wants me to keep funding a war I never supported. I wasn't even King when it started. NOT MY FAULT!

  16. #196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Ahhh now I get why you called Mike Rap a punk!
    his videos and tweets from that were crazy
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  17. #197
    Senior Member UVACoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Spencer Cox (Utahs Lt. Governor) and some of his friends started a podcast this week:

    https://www.listennotes.com/c/bab9f6...iends-podcast/

    Hed deny it, but it appears to be a kickoff of his 2020 campaign to be governor. Im a fan of Spencer and his podcast (hes great on twitter too).




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  18. #198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    Spencer Cox (Utah’s Lt. Governor) and some of his friends started a podcast this week:

    https://www.listennotes.com/c/bab9f6...iends-podcast/

    He’d deny it, but it appears to be a kickoff of his 2020 campaign to be governor. I’m a fan of Spencer and his podcast (he’s great on twitter too).




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    the cox mcadams fights would be great.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  19. #199
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,988

    Default

    My new favorite podcast is RFK Tapes. It examines whether Sirhan Sirhan executed RFK under his own volition (or if at all).
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  20. #200
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,286

    Default

    Just listened to the Dr. Death podcast. Holy shit — stay away from any surgeon unless he has proven good outcomes for many years.

    https://www.propublica.org/article/d...t-was-criminal

  21. #201
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Just listened to the Dr. Death podcast. Holy shit — stay away from any surgeon unless he has proven good outcomes for many years.

    https://www.propublica.org/article/d...t-was-criminal
    My PA mentioned this one for me to listen to.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  22. #202
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Just listened to the Dr. Death podcast. Holy shit stay away from any surgeon unless he has proven good outcomes for many years.

    https://www.propublica.org/article/d...t-was-criminal
    That is messed up.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  23. #203
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,281

    Default

    What's Good with Stretch Armstrong and Bobbito Garcia is awesome. They had an underground hip hop show in the 90s that broke all the greats- Biggie, Nas, etc. This new show is an NPR podcast that is a 30 minute interview format with interesting people. It's great.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  24. #204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Just listened to the Dr. Death podcast. Holy shit stay away from any surgeon unless he has proven good outcomes for many years.

    https://www.propublica.org/article/d...t-was-criminal
    isnt one point of that how hard it is for a layman to verify proven good outcomes ?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  25. #205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Just listened to the Dr. Death podcast. Holy shit — stay away from any surgeon unless he has proven good outcomes for many years.

    https://www.propublica.org/article/d...t-was-criminal
    Baylor. Why does everything bad come from Texas?

  26. #206
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    8,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Just listened to the Dr. Death podcast. Holy shit stay away from any surgeon unless he has proven good outcomes for many years.

    https://www.propublica.org/article/d...t-was-criminal
    I read that article a couple weeks ago. The story from the doctor who saw him cutting out a ligament around the spine that wasnt supposed to be disturbed during that particular procedure turned my stomach. WTF would you do if you witnessed something like that?

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  27. #207
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    isn’t one point of that how hard it is for a layman to verify proven good outcomes ?
    Yes I agree. One of the lawyers involved in prosecuting Duntsch is shocked to hear his own primary doctor mentioned as one of the doctors who sent patients to Duntsch.

    I guess one simple screening test would be to choose a doc who has been at the same hospital for 5+ years. That would probably weed out the worst of the worst docs at least.

  28. #208
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    My PA mentioned this one for me to listen to.

    I would appreciate your insight into how many surgeries a spine fellow should do. Sounds like this guy did under 100 surgeries as a neurosurgery resident and under 100 as a spine fellow. Seems low — in cardiology it’s typical to have done 1000 procedures in training before you work on your own.

    One of the crazy things about medical training is that no matter how many cases you do as a resident/fellow, there is still a moment of truth where you need to step up all by yourself and do a difficult thing on your own as an attending doctor.

    I think with cardiology procedures about 98% can do it but there probably are 2% who function fine in the “assistant” role alongside an attending but literally can’t do it safely on their own and should probably quit. I don’t know how you tell somebody who has invested 4 years of med school and 7-8 years of subsequent training that they just can’t cut it — there needs to be a way to weed out these people earlier I guess.

  29. #209
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    I would appreciate your insight into how many surgeries a spine fellow should do. Sounds like this guy did under 100 surgeries as a neurosurgery resident and under 100 as a spine fellow. Seems low — in cardiology it’s typical to have done 1000 procedures in training before you work on your own.

    One of the crazy things about medical training is that no matter how many cases you do as a resident/fellow, there is still a moment of truth where you need to step up all by yourself and do a difficult thing on your own as an attending doctor.

    I think with cardiology procedures about 98% can do it but there probably are 2% who function fine in the “assistant” role alongside an attending but literally can’t do it safely on their own and should probably quit. I don’t know how you tell somebody who has invested 4 years of med school and 7-8 years of subsequent training that they just can’t cut it — there needs to be a way to weed out these people earlier I guess.
    I talked with one of the neurosurgeons about this. He said he did around 600 cases/year during residency.

    I did a bit over 600 during my fellowship year. Currently I do around 550-600/year although this year I’ll end up well past 600.

    I remember doing one of my first pelvic fractures on a 550 lb patient. I was expecting an attending to look over my shoulder and tell me what to do next.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  30. #210
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,082

    Default

    My aunt passed away yesterday from complications related to a back surgery performed last week.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •