No announcement yet.

Podcast Central

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was an interesting podcast, but it would've been much better had it only been about half as long. Maybe six episodes total.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      So just because this was bumped, and I'm bored, I'll chime in again...
      I read all the parts of jays interview and while I guess I can see his reasons for the shifting stories, he still doesn't come across as particularly believable--or sympathetic. I feel bad for the guy in the sense that he likely didn't kill anyone and he'd probably rather this case not have been reopened. However, he did help bury a dead body and lied repeatedly to police, so forgive me if my sympathy doesn't run terribly deep for his lost construction job. Oh yeah, and there is a guy in jail for the rest of his life who may be innocent. If Sarah really wanted to "demonize" him, she might have honed in a little more on his drug dealing history or his domestic violence charge. C'mon, Jay....

In the end, I just don't think Adnan talks like someone who is guilty of murder, although I don't think he's wholly innocent either. My latest theory...maybe someone from his family or mosque? Maybe someone couldn't handle the idea of this western girl "corrupting" him and then disrespecting him by moving on so quickly.

In any case, as many have already stated, guilty or not, the case sure doesn't seem to merit a conviction.
      I was initially in the same camp. But that conclusion disregards Jay's testimony completely. If the jury found Jay to be believable, there was enough evidence to convict.

As for Adnan not talking like someone who is guilty of murder, what does that even mean? His inflection? His conviction? We've discussed this before, but I am in the opposite camp--I don't think Adnan is very convincing at all. His attitude and his explanations (or lack thereof) feel very similar to the things I would say when I was lying to my parents but I knew there was absolutely no way for my parents to ever verify if I was telling the truth.

"Believe what you want to believe. I don't know how else to say it." etc.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        I was initially in the same camp. But that conclusion disregards Jay's testimony completely. If the jury found Jay to be believable, there was enough evidence to convict.

As for Adnan not talking like someone who is guilty of murder, what does that even mean? His inflection? His conviction? We've discussed this before, but I am in the opposite camp--I don't think Adnan is very convincing at all. His attitude and his explanations (or lack thereof) feel very similar to the things I would say when I was lying to my parents but I knew there was absolutely no way for my parents to ever verify if I was telling the truth.

"Believe what you want to believe. I don't know how else to say it." etc.
        I don't know what it is that makes me believe that he didn't kill Hae...Just a hunch, based on all kinds of admittedly subjective cues.

But if the state's case rests on jays testimony being believable, and that beyond a reasonable doubt, well, I have all kinds of reasons to doubt jays testimony, starting with the multiple versions he gives, depending on which day you talk to him.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Just finished Serial. My first ever podcast attempt. I found it enthralling and enjoyable.

After all is said and done, I still believe Adnan is guilty, but it sure was interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
            Just finished Serial. My first ever podcast attempt. I found it enthralling and enjoyable.

After all is said and done, I still believe Adnan is guilty, but it sure was interesting.
            Of course he is.

He's the only one who could get into her car. The Jay killed her folks can't explain why the victim would allow him into her car. From all the accounts they were literal strangers.

Comment

New podcast out, Invisibilia. It's borrows heavily from Radiolab's pattern, and the hosts can be a tad annoying. But the first couple of episodes cover really interesting material. "The secret history of thoughts" and "How to become Batman" are quite good. I think this one will get better with time.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                New podcast out, Invisibilia. It's borrows heavily from Radiolab's pattern, and the hosts can be a tad annoying. But the first couple of episodes cover really interesting material. "The secret history of thoughts" and "How to become Batman" are quite good. I think this one will get better with time.
                Yeah, I disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                  Yeah, I disagree.
                  With what? That it will get better, or those episodes are good?
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    With what? That it will get better, or those episodes are good?
                    Both.

Their voices are indistinguishable and their stories while compelling were incomplete.

The fear episode started awesome with the grown kids and the next thing you know we are listening to some crack pot hypothesis about snakes.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                      Both.

Their voices are indistinguishable and their stories while compelling were incomplete.

The fear episode started awesome with the grown kids and the next thing you know we are listening to some crack pot hypothesis about snakes.
                      I'll give you the voices complaint. And they are annoying sometimes.

I didn't listen to the fear episode. But I did enjoy the others. I'm giving them a chance.
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        I was not a big fan of the Invisibilia episode that was hosted on Radiolab a few weeks back. Based on it, I declined to give it a try. "I think this one will get better with time" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement, either, so I think I will still refrain

If a month or two down the road you are still on board, let us know, and maybe I will give it another shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                          I was not a big fan of the Invisibilia episode that was hosted on Radiolab a few weeks back. Based on it, I declined to give it a try. "I think this one will get better with time" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement, either, so I think I will still refrain

If a month or two down the road you are still on board, let us know, and maybe I will give it another shot.
                          Yup, me too. I think Radiolab is the best out there, so I'm still a little curious, but the single episode they featured just kept me wishing I was listening to the Radiolab guys instead.
                          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Give "How to become Batman" a whirl. I thought it was pretty interesting.
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Radiolab's 'Football' episode.

Did you know Pop Warner was the original Bill Belichick? Interesting half on the early history of football.
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Adnan's case will be reviewed by the state appeals court.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...granted-appeal
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                                X