Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Podcast Central

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    If you are really into history, then I strongly recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. I'm really enjoying the series on the Khan dynasty. This is not your Reader's Digest version of history.
    Let me reiterate my enjoyment of this podcast series. There also is a great series on the fall of the Roman Republic and right now I'm learning about a bizarre story of the Anabaptists in Muenster circa 1534. If you're a history buff, this is a must-listen podcast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnster_Rebellion
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Let me reiterate my enjoyment of this podcast series. There also is a great series on the fall of the Roman Republic and right now I'm learning about a bizarre story of the Anabaptists in Muenster circa 1534. If you're a history buff, this is a must-listen podcast.

Yeah, I listened to this too:
    http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...ht=anabaptists

If you're a Mormon and a history buff, you really need to listen to this.

There's a new one that just popped up on my feed (I say this because they only come out every few months and they're usually really long). Have you heard that one yet?
    He also does an interesting political commentary podcast weekly. He leans pretty libertarian, so I don't agree with everything he says, but his historical perspective can be interesting.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Anyone know of any political podcasts that aren't overly partisan? I like NPR's It's All Politics pretty well, but that one ended recently. Slate's Political Gabfest can be interesting, but they often get pretty biased. It's probably hard to find something that isn't biased at all, but it would be nice if there were a podcast that actually presented both sides in a reasonable manner.

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    Anyone know of any political podcasts that aren't overly partisan? I like NPR's It's All Politics pretty well, but that one ended recently. Slate's Political Gabfest can be interesting, but they often get pretty biased. It's probably hard to find something that isn't biased at all, but it would be nice if there were a podcast that actually presented both sides in a reasonable manner.
    Left, right, and center is very good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

I am up to about 11 podcasts on my podcast app. Nerdist, the Cougar Tracks podcast that doesn't work, All Songs Considered, TedTalk, the Adam & Drew Show, the Alton Brown Cast, Mohr Stories, Grantland Pop Culture, the Joe Rogan Experience, npr Fresh Air, and the great Adam Carolla Show
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    Left, right, and center is very good.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar

I listened to the 1st half of the 1st part of his Mongols series. It's pretty good. Thanks Indy!
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    I listened to the 1st half of the 1st part of his Mongols series. It's pretty good. Thanks Indy!
    That series is long, but definitely worth it.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    His Rome series is great too.

-Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

This American Life has a spinoff podcast, Serial. It will be multiple episodes about a single story. The first two are out, and I'm hooked:

http://serialpodcast.org/

Couple of really good podcasts that are related (spoiler below):

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...er-and-mr-hyde

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...ght-here?act=2

Spoiler for topic of podcasts:
    The first podcast is really well done, and it makes you think about how responsible someone is for crimes when they have a debilitating brain disease. I found the second podcast (act 2) heartwrenching, when the protagonist found out she didn't have Huntington's and her niece (who does have it) had to leave the room. Just a terrible emotional situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    This American Life has a spinoff podcast, Serial. It will be multiple episodes about a single story. The first two are out, and I'm hooked:

It's a very entertaining podcast, but I'm concerned that the reporter has gotten a little too attached to Anand's side of the story. She is a lot quicker to explain away evidence that looks bad for Anand, and highlights evidence that would exculpate him if true. She is clearly infatuated with him, and admits as much in the latest episode. I understand where she is coming from. The story will be more interesting if it turns out he is innocent, and I want him to be innocent (he does seem like a nice guy). Not sure it is great journalism, or crime investigation, though.

It is good story telling though, which is what TAL has always excelled at. Very big thumbs up from me.
    Last edited by UVACoug; 10-31-2014 at 07:23 AM.

It's a very entertaining podcast, but I'm concerned that the reporter has gotten a little too attached to Anand's side of the story. She is a lot quicker to explain away evidence that looks bad for Anand, and highlights evidence that would exculpate him if true. She is clearly infatuated with him, and admits as much in the latest episode. I understand where she is coming from. The story will be more interesting if it turns out he is innocent, and I want him to be innocent (he does seem like a nice guy). Not sure it is great journalism, or crime investigation, though.

It is good story telling though, which is what TAL has always excelled at. Very big thumbs up from me.
    I felt the same way with the first couple of episodes. But with the last one I sense more fairness coming from her.

I want him to be innocent. I think Jay is not telling the whole truth. But Adnan's story is also shady...

what about the dude that "randomly" stumbled on the well hidden body? that doesn't make a lot of sense
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Interesting episode of TAL this week:

http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-...-ive-had-a-few

Act II is about a guy that took his kids and left the FLDS Church. Pretty sad story, and some weird songs about Ogden.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post

I'm almost done listening to this, along with millions of other people obviously.

The take-home message I guess is that some murderers are just regular people who do something really stupid.

Is it really in doubt that Adnan killed the girl? Doesn't seem like it to me.

I thought as a whole the podcast was OK but not great. It doesn't deserve to be the most popular podcast of all time.

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    I'm almost done listening to this, along with millions of other people obviously.

The take-home message I guess is that some murderers are just regular people who do something really stupid.

I thought as a whole the podcast was OK but not great. It doesn't deserve to be the most popular podcast of all time.
    Oh brother. Everyone agrees that there wasn't evidence to convict him.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

My oldest daughter is convinced that Adnan is innocent. She thinks he is just too nice of a guy to do something like that. Me? I can't get past the details Jay has given in the case. Either he, Adnan, or both, are lying. But like SU says, there is no way he should have been convicted. Just not enough evidence.

I agree, there's 'better' podcasts out there. But the format was fresh, it was a very interesting case, and Sarah Koenig has a sultry voice .

But even if you're not enamored with her voice like I am, she is an excellent storyteller. I'm looking forward to season 2.

I think the podcast was significantly flawed in several ways. As a piece of journalism, I think it fails completely. Sarah consistently withheld or delayed key information for dramatic effect in order to manipulate the audience. That makes for good story-telling, but I don't think it is a very good method of finding the truth. The last few episodes seemed a bit incoherent and thrown together because she ran out of other things to talk about.

As for whether Adnan is guilty or innocent, I ended up where Sarah did. There is no way in hell he should have been convicted. There is little, if any, credible evidence that he did it. The jury convicted him because they were presented with an obviously false story from Jay and didn't have any alternative explanation for the crime. That isn't how the system is supposed to work. Because of the lack of evidence, I am left with no choice but to believe he didn't do it. There are simply too many false convictions to condemn a guy because there is no better explanation, especially where all the information I have is second or third hand. Cases like this are one of the prime reasons why I am opposed to the death penalty.

Anyone interested in other false conviction cases should watch Central Park Five or West of Memphis. It is shocking what kind of confessions corrupt cops can get out of people ... especially teenagers.

I'm not sure you can complain that the podcast fails as a piece of journalism. This was infotainment. It's like complaining that 48 Hours Mystery didn't cut to the chase early enough. The whole point is to get you to think about whodunnit over weeks. But yes, the last few episodes were filler - she ran out of new info.

I think everyone will agree that he never should have been convicted. There is a boatload of reasonable doubt to this story.

To me there is only one thing that really cuts against Adnan's story and it wasn't really talked about in the podcast. It's the Neisha call, which was beat to death, but more importantly it seemed to me that Jay talked about the Neisha call ("we called some girl in Silver Spring") during his first interview with detectives, i.e. before the detectives could have obtained a warrant for the cell records and tipped Jay off. Thus, even if we buy the "butt dial" theory, Jay either made up a story about calling a girl in Silver Spring that matched the butt dial (miraculously) or Jay made the call to Neisha in a preemptive move to indict Adnan for a murder he would later commit (amazing foresight). The podcast never focused on the fact that Jay knew about the call, and that always troubled me.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'm not sure you can complain that the podcast fails as a piece of journalism. This was infotainment. It's like complaining that 48 Hours Mystery didn't cut to the chase early enough. The whole point is to get you to think about whodunnit over weeks. But yes, the last few episodes were filler - she ran out of new info.

I think everyone will agree that he never should have been convicted. There is a boatload of reasonable doubt to this story.

To me there is only one thing that really cuts against Adnan's story and it wasn't really talked about in the podcast. It's the Neisha call, which was beat to death, but more importantly it seemed to me that Jay talked about the Neisha call ("we called some girl in Silver Spring") during his first interview with detectives, i.e. before the detectives could have obtained a warrant for the cell records and tipped Jay off. Thus, even if we buy the "butt dial" theory, Jay either made up a story about calling a girl in Silver Spring that matched the butt dial (miraculously) or Jay made the call to Neisha in a preemptive move to indict Adnan for a murder he would later commit (amazing foresight). The podcast never focused on the fact that Jay knew about the call, and that always troubled me.
    also jay knew where the car was. jay's story is pretty clearly bullshit, but there's no way adnan didn't do it.

This is pretty good. I especially like Santa on the phone and the Cristina Gutierrez-like attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    also jay knew where the car was. jay's story is pretty clearly bullshit, but there's no way adnan didn't do it.
    Jay knowing where the car was is pretty strong evidence that Jay was involved. It only implicates Adnan if you believe Jay's story.

I think there is definitely a way Adnan didn't do it - Jay did it (probably with someone else) and framed Adnan. For that story to work, you only need to believe that Jay had Adnan's cell phone for most of the day. Then, the only thing that needs explaining is how did Jay know about the Neisha "butt dial"?

also, the whole lending his car to jay then asking for a ride from hae (and then changing his story about that later) thing is pretty weird to me. i don't know, jay is obviously culpable in some way. but adnan smells like a manipulative sociopath to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    This is pretty good. I especially like Santa on the phone and the Cristina Gutierrez-like attorney.

Ha! That was perfect.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Oh brother. Everyone agrees that there wasn't evidence to convict him.
    Sure I won't argue with people saying there wasn't enough evidence to convict. But I think he did it. Really you get a call telling you your girlfriend is missing and you still have no idea where you were for hours earlier in the day? You give away your car and phone that day to avoid being tracked, you enlist the help of the biggest gangsta at your school, all coincidentally on the day somebody else kills your ex-girlfriend?

Yeah he's about as innocent as OJ Simpson. Did you listen to it all or just read a review/summary?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

Where are you getting that from? Is it in a transcript or something? I haven't heard it before.

Where are you getting that from? Is it in a transcript or something? I haven't heard it before.
    I remember Jay saying that. It was the silver spring part that I recall anyway.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Sure I won't argue with people saying there wasn't enough evidence to convict. But I think he did it. Really you get a call telling you your girlfriend is missing and you still have no idea where you were for hours earlier in the day? You give away your car and phone that day to avoid being tracked, you enlist the help of the biggest gangsta at your school, all coincidentally on the day somebody else kills your ex-girlfriend?

Yeah he's about as innocent as OJ Simpson. Did you listen to it all or just read a review/summary?
    I have serious (not just reasonable) doubts about whether Adnan did it. I don't think it's clear at all that he's guilty. Yeah there's some strange stuff he can't offer explanations for, but Jay's story is much more shady.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I agree that his lack of memory after the cops called is troubling. But he was admittedly high most of the afternoon. Plus, while I think such a call would crystallize that day in my memory, I'm not sure it would stay there if I hadn't thought about my day for six weeks (or however long it took the cops to suspect him).

His story about giving the car and cell phone to Jay are really weak, I agree. But I doubt he gave him the cell phone so that he couldn't be tracked. He'd only had the cell phone for a few days and I doubt kids back then knew about the pinging capabilities of cell phones. I certainly didn't.

THey never discuss it, but I remember from Jay's first interview (I think) that he mentions the "Silver Spring" call while he is with Adnan in the car.