No announcement yet.

Podcast Central

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Podcasts are the greatest thing since the invention of Left/Right shoe pairs.
    I don't have one piece of music on my ipod...

My set:
    Mormon Stories
    Mormon Matters
    Mormon Expressions
    Adam Carolla --This guy is an absolute genius.
    Ace on the house
    KCRW Left Right and Center
    NPR Planet Money
    NPR It's all politics
    Mac Power Users
    APM On Being
    The U Fancast

iTunesU is also great.
    Historical Jesus from Stanford is fabulous

thanks to others for your lists. I'm always interested in what other people like.
    Sometimes I wish I had a longer commute so I could keep up with more shows....
    Last edited by Brian; 01-17-2012, 11:52 AM.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Comment

I must have gotten a lot of my regular podcasts from recommendations on here.

APM: A Prarie Home Companion
      APM: On being
      Dan Carlins Harcore History
      Dave Ramsey Show
      The Economist
      Freakonomics (one of my favorites)
      FredCast (Cycling podcast)
      A History of the World in 100 Objects
      Mormon Stories
      Mormon Matters
      Mormon Identities
      The Moth
      Wait, Wait
      Planet Money
      Science Friday
      Stuff You Missed in History Class
      Stuff You Should Know
      This American Life
      Radiolab (Best podcast on the internets)
      60 minutes

Comment

Some good episodes that I've come across recently:

Radiolab:
        Slow (10/19/11)
        Games (8/23/11)
        A 4-track mind (7/26/11)
        In the Running (4/6/11)
        Parasites (9/7/09) - My kids favorite podcast - they request it frequently on our drive to school in the morning.

Mormon Stories:
        Joanna Brooks (1/20/10)
        Teryl Givens (9/28/11)

Comment

I just listened to the break up episode on this american life. Fantastic episode and the part about the 8 year old was heart wrenching.
          "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Another great intelligence squared debate, this one on immigration:
            http://intelligencesquaredus.org/ind...d-immigration/

For those of you getting sick of the completely unsubstantial presidential debates, this is a nice reprieve. They're much more entertaining than you'd think.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              I must have gotten a lot of my regular podcasts from recommendations on here.

APM: A Prarie Home Companion
              APM: On being
              Dan Carlins Harcore History

Dave Ramsey Show
              The Economist
              Freakonomics (one of my favorites)
              FredCast (Cycling podcast)
              A History of the World in 100 Objects
              Mormon Stories
              Mormon Matters

Mormon Identities
              The Moth
              Wait, Wait
              Planet Money
              Science Friday
              Stuff You Missed in History Class
              Stuff You Should Know
              This American Life
              Radiolab
              (Best podcast on the internets)
              60 minutes
              Great list--looks very much like mine (we have the bolded in common). I agree with you on Radiolab--underrated, but consistently really well-done.
              I'm going to add History of the World in 100 Objects. I might get rid of Stuff You Missed in History Class--too long and too much obscurity. although the recent gangster stuff was pretty cool.
              Last edited by ERCougar; 02-17-2012, 10:31 AM.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

anyone have recomendations on new testament commentary?
                There seems to be a lot of stuff there, but it seems daunting to go through it all looking for the good stuff. Something along the lines of what Jared Anderson would produce, if he were doing a NT podcast....
                I intend to live forever.
                So far, so good.
                --Steven Wright

Comment

With Jay Mohr taking over for Jim Rome I wonder if the podcast is over? I'm probably 8-10 episodes behind as I don't have much road time during the Winter.

That'll be too bad if so.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    With Jay Mohr taking over for Jim Rome I wonder if the podcast is over? I'm probably 8-10 episodes behind as I don't have much road time during the Winter.

That'll be too bad if so.

Rome gone for good? He said his schedule would be back to normal in January.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Over Christmas I got hooked onto "the History of English Podcast." Its a great podcast. Its run by Kevin Stroud, a lawyer in the real world. His podcasts are much more in-depth than anything we covered in my History of English courses as an undergrad.

Comment

Science Magazine
                        Still Untitled: The Adam Savage Project
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

If you are really into history, then I strongly recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. I'm really enjoying the series on the Khan dynasty. This is not your Reader's Digest version of history.
                          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                            If you are really into history, then I strongly recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. I'm really enjoying the series on the Khan dynasty. This is not your Reader's Digest version of history.
                            Crazy that Genghis had green eyes. Btw death throes of the republic is great as well. So is the sons of thor

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
                            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Currently my favorite is Caustic Soda Podcast. It's hosted by 3 Canadians who have gaming and screenwriting backgrounds. They're hilarious as hell. They have a very eclectic episode list. This week I learned about wasps, the week before was patricide in history. Self surgery, zombies, ninjas, feral children are other past ones. Basically anything they find interesting. They even have one on mormonism.

Give it a whirl:

http://www.causticsodapodcast.com/
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                                Filmspotting.net
                                Don't regularly listen to Simmons, but I will depending on the guest
                                Listen to Talking TV with Ryan and Ryan every now and again
                                Tried listen to the Fire and Ice TV podcast, but Feinberg is just unbearable.
                                Been listening to Planet Money and The Disciplined Investor a bit lately
                                Feinberg is such a tool. Sepinwall and Mo Ryan need to do a podcast together.

Comment

Working...
                                X