Podcast Central

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    If you are really into history, then I strongly recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. I'm really enjoying the series on the Khan dynasty. This is not your Reader's Digest version of history.
    Let me reiterate my enjoyment of this podcast series. There also is a great series on the fall of the Roman Republic and right now I'm learning about a bizarre story of the Anabaptists in Muenster circa 1534. If you're a history buff, this is a must-listen podcast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnster_Rebellion
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Let me reiterate my enjoyment of this podcast series. There also is a great series on the fall of the Roman Republic and right now I'm learning about a bizarre story of the Anabaptists in Muenster circa 1534. If you're a history buff, this is a must-listen podcast.

Yeah, I listened to this too:
      http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...ht=anabaptists

If you're a Mormon and a history buff, you really need to listen to this.

There's a new one that just popped up on my feed (I say this because they only come out every few months and they're usually really long). Have you heard that one yet?
      He also does an interesting political commentary podcast weekly. He leans pretty libertarian, so I don't agree with everything he says, but his historical perspective can be interesting.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Anyone know of any political podcasts that aren't overly partisan? I like NPR's It's All Politics pretty well, but that one ended recently. Slate's Political Gabfest can be interesting, but they often get pretty biased. It's probably hard to find something that isn't biased at all, but it would be nice if there were a podcast that actually presented both sides in a reasonable manner.

Comment

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
          Anyone know of any political podcasts that aren't overly partisan? I like NPR's It's All Politics pretty well, but that one ended recently. Slate's Political Gabfest can be interesting, but they often get pretty biased. It's probably hard to find something that isn't biased at all, but it would be nice if there were a podcast that actually presented both sides in a reasonable manner.
          Left, right, and center is very good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I am up to about 11 podcasts on my podcast app. Nerdist, the Cougar Tracks podcast that doesn't work, All Songs Considered, TedTalk, the Adam & Drew Show, the Alton Brown Cast, Mohr Stories, Grantland Pop Culture, the Joe Rogan Experience, npr Fresh Air, and the great Adam Carolla Show
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
              Left, right, and center is very good.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

I listened to the 1st half of the 1st part of his Mongols series. It's pretty good. Thanks Indy!
                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                  I listened to the 1st half of the 1st part of his Mongols series. It's pretty good. Thanks Indy!
                  That series is long, but definitely worth it.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                    His Rome series is great too.

-Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

This American Life has a spinoff podcast, Serial. It will be multiple episodes about a single story. The first two are out, and I'm hooked:

http://serialpodcast.org/
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Couple of really good podcasts that are related (spoiler below):

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...er-and-mr-hyde

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...ght-here?act=2

Spoiler for topic of podcasts:
                        The first podcast is really well done, and it makes you think about how responsible someone is for crimes when they have a debilitating brain disease. I found the second podcast (act 2) heartwrenching, when the protagonist found out she didn't have Huntington's and her niece (who does have it) had to leave the room. Just a terrible emotional situation.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          This American Life has a spinoff podcast, Serial. It will be multiple episodes about a single story. The first two are out, and I'm hooked:

http://serialpodcast.org/
                          It's a very entertaining podcast, but I'm concerned that the reporter has gotten a little too attached to Anand's side of the story. She is a lot quicker to explain away evidence that looks bad for Anand, and highlights evidence that would exculpate him if true. She is clearly infatuated with him, and admits as much in the latest episode. I understand where she is coming from. The story will be more interesting if it turns out he is innocent, and I want him to be innocent (he does seem like a nice guy). Not sure it is great journalism, or crime investigation, though.

It is good story telling though, which is what TAL has always excelled at. Very big thumbs up from me.
                          Last edited by UVACoug; 10-31-2014, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                            It's a very entertaining podcast, but I'm concerned that the reporter has gotten a little too attached to Anand's side of the story. She is a lot quicker to explain away evidence that looks bad for Anand, and highlights evidence that would exculpate him if true. She is clearly infatuated with him, and admits as much in the latest episode. I understand where she is coming from. The story will be more interesting if it turns out he is innocent, and I want him to be innocent (he does seem like a nice guy). Not sure it is great journalism, or crime investigation, though.

It is good story telling though, which is what TAL has always excelled at. Very big thumbs up from me.
                            I felt the same way with the first couple of episodes. But with the last one I sense more fairness coming from her.

I want him to be innocent. I think Jay is not telling the whole truth. But Adnan's story is also shady...
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

what about the dude that "randomly" stumbled on the well hidden body? that doesn't make a lot of sense
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Interesting episode of TAL this week:

http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-...-ive-had-a-few

Act II is about a guy that took his kids and left the FLDS Church. Pretty sad story, and some weird songs about Ogden.

Comment

Working...
                                X