Podcast Central

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
    Really took a deep dive into Dan Carlin's Hardcore History lately-- logged probably 35 hours or so in the past 2 weeks.
    My favorite was "death throes of the republic" about the Roman empire

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
      Really took a deep dive into Dan Carlin's Hardcore History lately-- logged probably 35 hours or so in the past 2 weeks.
      I love it also. I wish he'd do more. The WWI one was great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I know I am late to the party, but the Malcom Gladwell - Revisionist History podcast is fantastic.
        Season 4 is being released. The first two episodes are a critique of law school admissions and employment placement process. I can see how it all seems bizarre to a non-lawyer.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          I love it also. I wish he'd do more. The WWI one was great.
          I'm on part V of that one right now. There are volumes of things I didn't know about WWI. It's good to catch up on things I should have known for 30 years!
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• I really liked the Mongol invasion and the Anabaptists (too many parallels with Nauvoo for my comfort, however). But WWI is where he lost me. The lead up was just too damn long.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              I really liked the Mongol invasion and the Anabaptists (too many parallels with Nauvoo for my comfort, however). But WWI is where he lost me. The lead up was just too damn long.
              Really? I'm fascinated by it. Good to hear that everything else is quick-paced, though.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• I'm loving The Cold War: What We Saw by Bill Whittle. The Cold War has always been one of my favorite historical topics; my favorite class in college was a PolySci National Security class that spent half the semester on Cold War weapons, strategy, and tactics. The podcast is very detailed and I am learning several important events I never knew (or have forgotten for some reason).

Comment

• Been listening to the new "I, Podius" podcast, which consists of John Hodgman and some other guy doing a weekly recap of the 1976 BBC miniseries "I, Claudius." The miniseries itself is pretty insane. Several episodes include Patrick Stewart, in a wig, playing a Roman prefect. They had Patrick Stewart on the podcast a couple weeks ago to talk about his part in the miniseries.

The podcast is hilarious and the miniseries is fascinating. I would highly recommend if you are into that kind of thing.

Comment

• Mormon Week on the Adam Carolla podcast: Glenn Beck and Ken Jennings. The podcast with Ken Jennings is also interesting because the crazy Hasidic Jew Ukrainian-American doctor is at the beginning talking about zinc, hydroxychloroquine, and Zithromax combo that cures 99% of patients with the ‘Vid.

Comment

• Mississippi drops charges against Curtis Flowers. None of this would have happened, and Flowers would still be on death row, had the ‘In the Dark’ series not highlighted his case.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/u...s-flowers.html

In the Dark is asking for donations. You could do worse than to send a few bucks their way.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• A couple great podcasts I have listened to lately.

The most recent Freakonomics episode is a two part-er on advertising. The 2nd episode on digital advertising is very interesting. Based on some recent studies, advertising for established brands is basically worthless. A former google executive (now a professor) thinks there could be a bubble in companies that rely on advertisers as their main source of income (google, Facebook, etc).

The second is Embedded (an NPR podcast) that is doing a whole series on Mitch McConnell. If you are into politics, it is a must. Mitch has arguably had more influence on the Republican party in the last 35 years than anyone outside Reagan and Trump.
                        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• I hesitate to recommend this episode, because I'm a fanboi and I have a lot of history with Caustic Soda. They came back after ~5 years to do a reunion episode to highlight the terminal cancer diagnosis of one of their regular guests, Greg Bole. He's a professor at UBC who has survived two separate cancers but will not overcome his third. If you've ever heard a Caustic Soda podcast, you know what to expect; funny, interesting, 100% irreverent, and no sacred cows. This one is no exception. Greg and the hosts are completely honest and brutal with the topic of his impending death. It is jarring to hear them making fun of it, but in the end it's cathartic and forces you to think about your impending death, no matter when it is due.

You may not appreciate it as much as I did, but it's only 2 hours. You can even play it at 1.4x speed if you get bored. But it is interesting:

https://causticsodapodcast.com/2021/...-dr-greg-bole/
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Fun fact: I have never listened to a podcast in my life.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                              Fun fact: I have never listened to a podcast in my life.
                              What are some other ways that you are horribly behind the times? Still use ATMs to deposit checks? Still send and receive checks?
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                                Fun fact: I have never listened to a podcast in my life.
                                Huh? What do you do when you're walking your dog, driving to and from work, doing yard work, or signing out endless prostate biopsies?
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X