Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    Sounds interesting.

I recently started listening to Hidden Brain groom NPR. It had probably been mentioned here before, but I find out really well done.
    I’ve heard good things about that one. Haven’t listened to it yet though.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

Sounds interesting.

I recently started listening to Hidden Brain groom NPR. It had probably been mentioned here before, but I find out really well done.
      But what if I can't stand Shankar Vedantam's voice?
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
        But what if I can't stand Shankar Vedantam's voice?
        He really bugged me at first, but I am getting over it. The interviews are really interesting.

Comment

He really bugged me at first, but I am getting over it. The interviews are really interesting.
          I like his voice, but a third of my practice is with Indian clients so he fits right in. Always an interesting podcast. I also like Freakonomics, Conan, The Remnant (Jonah Goldberg) and On Being (Krista Tippet). My happy place is doing 2-3 hr. hikes Saturday morning listening to those.

Comment

• For those of you who listened to the second season of "In The Dark", Curtis Flowers' murder conviction was thrown out by the supreme court today. Not on the facts of the case per se, but because of blatant prejudice by the prosecutor by excluding black jurors, on...6...separate....trials....for....the....same. ....crime. I still can't believe that happened.

I'd bet the "In the Dark" team feels pretty proud of their work. They should be.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Dax Shepard's "Armchair Expert" is pretty good. He's got a solid list of guests, but I can't shake how annoying he is, especially since his wife is a 10/10.

Sincerely X is an interesting podcast from Ted. Real life stories told by the party involved anonymously due to the sensitive nature of the events in question.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                Dax Shepard's "Armchair Expert" is pretty good. He's got a solid list of guests, but I can't shake how annoying he is, especially since his wife is a 10/10.

Sincerely X is an interesting podcast from Ted. Real life stories told by the party involved anonymously due to the sensitive nature of the events in question.
                dax shepard is totally unlistenable. maybe the worst non-dehlin interviewer of all time.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                  dax shepard is totally unlistenable. maybe the worst non-dehlin interviewer of all time.
                  I won't argue with you, but his guest list is solid, and he gets them to talk.
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• The latest Freakonomics podcast (no. 384) revisits the controversial Freakonomics chapter several years back tying the substantial drop in violent crimes to Roe v. Wade and the increase in abortions. A paper published later pointed out a coding error in the authors' research (and which many have used to claim their conclusions were bogus). But they've since corrected that and the conclusion remains. Interestingly, they've been attacked by people on both sides of the abortion debate, receiving more death threats from the left than the right.

It includes an interesting discussion about "unwantedness," and how that trait often results in criminal behavior as the child matures. Among the takeaways is that we should be focusing more on eliminating "unwantedness" rather than simply eliminating fetuses. Netherlands, with very liberal abortion laws, has a substantially lower abortion rate than the U.S. but it focuses more on improving "wantedness" than do we.

Take a listen.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      The latest Freakonomics podcast (no. 384) revisits the controversial Freakonomics chapter several years back tying the substantial drop in violent crimes to Roe v. Wade and the increase in abortions. A paper published later pointed out a coding error in the authors' research (and which many have used to claim their conclusions were bogus). But they've since corrected that and the conclusion remains. Interestingly, they've been attacked by people on both sides of the abortion debate, receiving more death threats from the left than the right.

It includes an interesting discussion about "unwantedness," and how that trait often results in criminal behavior as the child matures. Among the takeaways is that we should be focusing more on eliminating "unwantedness" rather than simply eliminating fetuses. Netherlands, with very liberal abortion laws, has a substantially lower abortion rate than the U.S. but it focuses more on improving "wantedness" than do we.

Take a listen.
                      That's really sad. Especially when so many struggle with infertility.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                        The latest Freakonomics podcast (no. 384) revisits the controversial Freakonomics chapter several years back tying the substantial drop in violent crimes to Roe v. Wade and the increase in abortions. A paper published later pointed out a coding error in the authors' research (and which many have used to claim their conclusions were bogus). But they've since corrected that and the conclusion remains. Interestingly, they've been attacked by people on both sides of the abortion debate, receiving more death threats from the left than the right.

Take a listen.
                        I love freakonomics.
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• I still buy into the causation between lower crime rates and the decrease use of lead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27067615

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                            I still buy into the causation between lower crime rates and the decrease use of lead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27067615
                            That is indeed a factor, although not as significant as abortion. Even the person who did what is probably the best lead correlation study agrees. She's on the podcast as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              For those of you who listened to the second season of "In The Dark", Curtis Flowers' murder conviction was thrown out by the supreme court today. Not on the facts of the case per se, but because of blatant prejudice by the prosecutor by excluding black jurors, on...6...separate....trials....for....the....same. ....crime. I still can't believe that happened.

I'd bet the "In the Dark" team feels pretty proud of their work. They should be.
                              I really enjoyed Into The Dark. Better than Serial, IMO. The prosecutor should be disbarred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Really took a deep dive into Dan Carlin's Hardcore History lately-- logged probably 35 hours or so in the past 2 weeks.
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                                X