Podcast Central

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

I haven't watched it yet. I heard they had to revise it a bit after the Maryland Supreme Court overruled a lower court's decision to retry the case. Did that come up in the documentary?
    It was basically the final scene postscript. Honestly, it left me feeling kind of down about the justice system. Adnan likely did do something, but from (what little) I know, it seems he had anything but a fair trial and representation.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 04-18-2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      It was basically the final scene postscript. Honestly, it left me feeling kind of down about the justice system. Adnan likely did do something, but from (what little) I know it seems anything but a fair trial and representation.
      I felt the exact same way. It's been years since I listened to it, but I couldn't reconcile Adnan's knowledge of the car whereabouts (?) with his innocence. He had to have known/did something. But, it was clear he received terrible legal representation.

I posted this before, but the 3rd season of Serial is very good at highlighting problems with various police/prosecutorial issues.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Anyone else listen to *The Rewatchables*?

I enjoy the commentary from most of the people on it. The best ones, for me, so far, have been Die Hard, The Godfather, and Proof of Life.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/1/29/...and-chris-ryan
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          Anyone else listen to *The Rewatchables*?

I enjoy the commentary from most of the people on it. The best ones, for me, so far, have been Die Hard, The Godfather, and Proof of Life.

I refuse to give Bill Simmons my clicks. Hate that douche.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Anyone else listen to *The Rewatchables*?

Funny you should mention it... I just listened to 'The Rewatchables 1999' where they do a series of movies from 1999. Today's was American Pie. Tons of fun- can't wait till next week's episode.

I also just listened to a new one called Poetics, where they do an in-depth interview with various poets. The first episode was with Wyclef Jean-- also a lot of fun, lots of cool stories.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Amen. But last week they did Field of Dreams. So I had to listen. It was really good. Man I love that movie.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

I only know him through this podcast. He seems like a sports know-it-all sometimes, but that's almost everyone on this board, so, what sets him apart?
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I only know him through this podcast. He seems like a sports know-it-all sometimes, but that's almost everyone on this board, so, what sets him apart?
                  I don't get it either. The only thing that bugs me about him is that he is too much of a boston homer, but that's what the skip ahead function is for. Otherwise he isn't much worse or better than most of the blowhards with podcasts or that post here.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    I don't get it either. The only thing that bugs me about him is that he is too much of a boston homer, but that's what the skip ahead function is for. Otherwise he isn't much worse or better than most of the blowhards with podcasts or that post here.
                    He doesn't bug me as much as others. But then again, Boston homers don't bug me
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      He doesn't bug me as much as others. But then again, Boston homers don't bug me
                      He was really good and quite funny back before Boston was winning rings on the reg. The Pats and Sox first wins changed him a bit, and he became completely insufferable when the Celtics backed into a ring in ‘08. He’s clearly a bright, talented guy, as evidenced by the 30-for-30 series (he’s the brainchild behind that) but since arriving, he has mailed it in. The only clicks he gets from me are his guess the lines podcast during the NFL season, and that’s only because I love Cousin Sal.

I guess if you didn’t know how good he was before, I can understand why you might enjoy his current shtick.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

He was really good and quite funny back before Boston was winning rings on the reg. The Pats and Sox first wins changed him a bit, and he became completely insufferable when the Celtics backed into a ring in ‘08. He’s clearly a bright, talented guy, as evidenced by the 30-for-30 series (he’s the brainchild behind that) but since arriving, he has mailed it in. The only clicks he gets from me are his guess the lines podcast during the NFL season, and that’s only because I love Cousin Sal.

I guess if you didn’t know how good he was before, I can understand why you might enjoy his current shtick.
                        COuld be true, but I have listened to him from time to time for a number of years, and I still think he is ok. He is certainly becoming increasingly self-indulgent and I wish someone he trusts would point out that not everything he says is clever, not every question he forms in his mind should be asked, and not all topics about Boston work for everyone else. That said, he does a nice job of describing his podcasts topics by time stamp so I can pick and choose if there is anything I want to listen and avoid the rest or all of it if not. You're probably right; he probably isn't as good as he once was, but he is still better than most and as good as many, from my POV.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

No I remember. I thought his early stuff on ESPN was brilliant, even if the articles he posted were long. I don't listen to him regularly any more. I'll listen to a playoff/super bowl podcast here and there. I agree with you; he does mail it in more often than not.
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• My biggest beef with Simmons is that for a dude who is from Boston, he sure sounds like he grew up in SoCal.

I want my boston sports homers to sound like Jerry Remy.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• I got tired if waiting for Moliere, so I subscribed to Conan O’Brien’s podcast. I’m a fan, so I’m really enjoying it so far. But I’m surprised at how good of an interviewer he is with more time. I’ve listened to the David Sedaris and Jimmy Kimmel episodes. They’re pretty solid IMO.
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                                I got tired if waiting for Moliere, so I subscribed to Conan O’Brien’s podcast. I’m a fan, so I’m really enjoying it so far. But I’m surprised at how good of an interviewer he is with more time. I’ve listened to the David Sedaris and Jimmy Kimmel episodes. They’re pretty solid IMO.
                                Sounds interesting.

I recently started listening to Hidden Brain groom NPR. It had probably been mentioned here before, but I find out really well done.

Comment

Working...
                                X