Podcast Central

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    jay speaks out. aren't parts of this inconsistent with his trial testimony?
    Well damn. Now my pendulum is swinging to the 'believe Jay' side. Before I still thought Adnan was guilty, but Jay was more involved than what he was claiming.

With so many details I can't remember which are inconsistent with his police testimony. But I'm inclined to believe his story, that he was trying to deflect as much attention as possible.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      Well damn. Now my pendulum is swinging to the 'believe Jay' side. Before I still thought Adnan was guilty, but Jay was more involved than what he was claiming.

With so many details I can't remember which are inconsistent with his police testimony. But I'm inclined to believe his story, that he was trying to deflect as much attention as possible.
      I agree, Jay is swinging me to his side with this interview. Where's part 2!
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The first thing that I notice about his testimony is that he tries really hard to portray himself as altruistic. Oh, I told the cops this because of my g-ma and I did that to protect my friends. Uh, dude if you cared about your G-ma that much, you probably wouldn't sling dope out of her house.

Comment

Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
          The first thing that I notice about his testimony is that he tries really hard to portray himself as altruistic. Oh, I told the cops this because of my g-ma and I did that to protect my friends. Uh, dude if you cared about your G-ma that much, you probably wouldn't sling dope out of her house.
          He was a black teenager from Baltimore. Didn't you watch the Wire?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            He was a black teenager from Baltimore. Didn't you watch the Wire?
            No, I didn't watch the Wire. I guess that is why I don't understand why being a black teenager from Baltimore would make it more likely that his altruism is real.

Comment

Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
              No, I didn't watch the Wire. I guess that is why I don't understand why being a black teenager from Baltimore would make it more likely that his altruism is real.
              It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but I guess my point is that I don't think its inconsistent for a teenager (whatever the race) to act stupidly (i.e. sell weed from his grandma's house) yet still not want his grandma to get in trouble.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I agree, Jay is swinging me to his side with this interview. Where's part 2!
                Here it is!

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ve-jay-part-2/
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but I guess my point is that I don't think its inconsistent for a teenager (whatever the race) to act stupidly (i.e. sell weed from his grandma's house) yet still not want his grandma to get in trouble.
                  Perhaps you are right, but I guess I would be much more inclined to believe him if he just said that he was scared of the consequences to his own person. When you are slinging dope out of your g-ma's house, it just doesn't resonate with me that you are all that concerned with her well being. I would be concerned more with the type of people coming around to buy the stuff than I would be about getting her in trouble for something she didn't know was happening.

Comment

His new story is completely different from his sworn testimony, which was completely different from his pre-trial interviews. How could that possibly make him more believable?

Comment

The first 6-7 episodes were really fun and interesting, if we didn't have 6-7 more hours of driving ahead of us we wouldn't have finished. I feel like Adnan and Jay were involved together, I wknder why none of the cops involved would speak with her for the podcast? From Jay's interview I would guess the cops and others didn't talk because her reporting was clearly bent towards proving innocence.

I'll check out season 2, but I don't think this will become a long term success without some drastically better journalism. She kept holding up her newspaper reporter credentials as her bonafides during the podcast and I kept thinking how it is shocking that newspapers are almost all bankrupt.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

Just finished Serial. Major Capote / Perry vibe for me.

Few thoughts:

Adnan remembers the morning, type of gift he gives a girl, mall trip with Jay, but doesn't remember anything else during the day except a phone call from a cop about his missing ex. Yeah, ok.

I think Adnan killed her, coerced Jay into helping bury the body. I can't see a scenario where Jay killed her simply because I can't see Jay running into Hae after school and pre 4:00 and somehow getting into her car.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                          Just finished Serial. Major Capote / Perry vibe for me.

Few thoughts:

Adnan remembers the morning, type of gift he gives a girl, mall trip with Jay, but doesn't remember anything else during the day except a phone call from a cop about his missing ex. Yeah, ok.

I think Adnan killed her, coerced Jay into helping bury the body. I can't see a scenario where Jay killed her simply because I can't see Jay running into Hae after school and pre 4:00 and somehow getting into her car.
                          What makes this case interesting is that there are some real compelling arguments that he is innocent. At the same time, a lot of the discrepancies could simply be everyday randomness and the messiness of your average human memory. In the end, while it is shocking to think that Adnan could do such a thing, it is almost more shocking to imagine that Jay did it and concocted the entire story.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            What makes this case interesting is that there are some real compelling arguments that he is innocent. At the same time, a lot of the discrepancies could simply be everyday randomness and the messiness of your average human memory. In the end, while it is shocking to think that Adnan could do such a thing, it is almost more shocking to imagine that Jay did it and concocted the entire story.
                            I never saw the compelling evidence he was innocent.

No alibi, check.
                            No legitimate witness providing him am alibi, check.
                            Fingerprints at crime scene, check.
                            Adnan admittance that he was with his cell when it pinged a tower close to burial site, check.

My wife thought he was less involved and Jay more involved in the murder. That never rang true to me simply because nobody could place, nor any real reasonable explanation places, Jay with Hae that afternoon.

I thought it was extremely entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                              I never saw the compelling evidence he was innocent.

No alibi, check.
                              No legitimate witness providing him am alibi, check.
                              Fingerprints at crime scene, check.
                              Adnan admittance that he was with his cell when it pinged a tower close to burial site, check.

My wife thought he was less involved and Jay more involved in the murder. That never rang true to me simply because nobody could place, nor any real reasonable explanation places, Jay with Hae that afternoon.

I thought it was extremely entertaining.
                              I thought there several things brought up that were quite damaging to the police's timeline. But it could simply mean that they had some errors in the timeline but Adnan still did it.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

So just because this was bumped, and I'm bored, I'll chime in again...
                                I read all the parts of jays interview and while I guess I can see his reasons for the shifting stories, he still doesn't come across as particularly believable--or sympathetic. I feel bad for the guy in the sense that he likely didn't kill anyone and he'd probably rather this case not have been reopened. However, he did help bury a dead body and lied repeatedly to police, so forgive me if my sympathy doesn't run terribly deep for his lost construction job. Oh yeah, and there is a guy in jail for the rest of his life who may be innocent. If Sarah really wanted to "demonize" him, she might have honed in a little more on his drug dealing history or his domestic violence charge. C'mon, Jay....

In the end, I just don't think Adnan talks like someone who is guilty of murder, although I don't think he's wholly innocent either. My latest theory...maybe someone from his family or mosque? Maybe someone couldn't handle the idea of this western girl "corrupting" him and then disrespecting him by moving on so quickly.

In any case, as many have already stated, guilty or not, the case sure doesn't seem to merit a conviction.
                                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                                X