Monetizing BYUtv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monetizing BYUtv

How can BYUtv earn money from televising sporting events?

BYU will collect money for "brand association" from clients like NuSkin, Zions Bank, Deseret Federal and Vivint. These clients will pay for "mention ad spots" that are restricted from airing what folks in the business label a "call to action." This means the commercial can't include anything that begs to call a phone number, go someplace for a sale or pricing announcements.

. . . . .

According to BYUtv managing director Derek Marquis, BYU Broadcasting and IMG will partner to create sponsorship packages that includes signage and mentions during live and rebroadcast games, weekly sports magazine series "True Blue" and "BYU Legends," and recently announced countdown and post-game shows with Dave McCann and Alema Harrington.

BYU hopes to "monetize" aspects of its online products such as a new website, BYUtvsports.com, iPhone and iPad apps, Roku streaming devices and other digital products.
    So, like PBS stations, BYUtv will mention sponsor names on air and then be more aggressive on-line where it has more leeway. What does the athletic department get out of this? I assume it's nothing.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

The ability to distribute its content to 40 million cable subscribers as a non-profit?

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

So, like PBS stations, BYUtv will mention sponsor names on air and then be more aggressive on-line where it has more leeway. What does the athletic department get out of this? I assume it's nothing.
      I fear that the athletic program has truly become a way to monetize BYUtv. To get a good response from sponsors all you need is good content which means the total package is decent.

The total schedule for BYU is decent. If you just watch football on TV, you aren't that upset at the schedule. It is the fans that put their butts in LES that will end up screwed if my "supposition" is correct.

Comment

Exposure and world-wide recruiting.

As more and more content moves to on-line and on-demand I can see BYUtv making a lot of money with that. I suspect it will be a lot like the television network apps for watching reruns of their programming that include commercials that you can't skip.

BTW, about the comment on the LHN...

The Longhorn Network, on the other hand, is a subscription-based product. If Texas fans want that programming, they'll have the pay-for-view option.
        From what I have read down here in Texas the LHN will be part of the basic cable/sat packages for Texas residents. Outside of Texas it will be part an extra sports package or something. Of course, it still hasn't showed up on my directv but I read it is being included starting September 1. We'll see.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          From what I have read down here in Texas the LHN will be part of the basic cable/sat packages for Texas residents. Outside of Texas it will be part an extra sports package or something. Of course, it still hasn't showed up on my directv but I read it is being included starting September 1. We'll see.
          I get a lot of banner ads asking me to request the LHN. It's giving me flashbacks of the whole mtn. debacle....except for the fact that I'm not requesting the channel and couldn't care less if it makes any satellite package.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            I get a lot of banner ads asking me to request the LHN. It's giving me flashbacks of the whole mtn. debacle....except for the fact that I'm not requesting the channel and couldn't care less if it makes any satellite package.
            What if that is the only way you can see reruns of BYU beating Texas?
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Why can't they simulcast these games in Greece?

Comment

I can't get my iPad 2 to broadcast AirPlay to my apple tv..

Comment

BYUtv question: Will the cable/satellite providers have BYUTV available in HD? As of now i'm still only getting the old SD channel.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    BYUtv question: Will the cable/satellite providers have BYUTV available in HD? As of now i'm still only getting the old SD channel.
                    Probably not for a while. i wouldn't count on it for this season. You might be able to get games in HD if your use roku.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

You can always stream HD to your tv over the internet.

Dick Harmon recently did a series on his blog of an interview with BYUtv's managing director. Evidently about a third of BYUtv's programming is going to be sports or sports related.

http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/60/H...-halftime.html

Comment

So I try to watch the women's soccer match with Utah right now and I'm told "Content unavailable: the video is not authorized for your location (JP)."

WTH? What about the worldwide fanbase?

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

So I try to watch the women's soccer match with Utah right now and I'm told "Content unavailable: the video is not authorized for your location (JP)."

WTH? What about the worldwide fanbase?

Okay, crazy. I went through Live Events and am now watching live.

:clap::excited:

GO COUGARS!!!!!!

Comment

I can't even get Directv to broadcast the LHN in SD. Of course, compared to our local TimeWarner at least they have BYUtv.

It looks like instead directv is going to give me ESPN gameplan for the next three months so I forgive them.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Okay, crazy. I went through Live Events and am now watching live.

:clap::excited:

GO COUGARS!!!!!!
                              GOAL!

Comment

Working...
                              X