Screw the Stock Market...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    After a pretty sleepless night, I checked the markets this morning expecting -5% declines across the board in the futures market (that's the max before circuit breakers kick in). But I'm very surprised to see that futures are actually up--currently around 1.6%, due apparently to early Fed moves. I still think the day will be a big negative, but it shows there's still a fair amount of long-range hope out there which, frankly, I had lost.
    This post didn't age well...

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
      This post didn't age well...
      I'm tired of every day being a 'hold onto your butts' day.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

I spent $100 on a cruise line stock last Thursday. It's gone up 20%. The cruise line has a decent chance of going belly-up by the end of the year, but it's cheap, I only put $100 into it and if it survives it will do quite well. I thought about putting money into Roku over the weekend -- already late on that. The share bottomed out at around $63 last Wednesday and is now close to $90.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
          I spent $100 on a cruise line stock last Thursday. It's gone up 20%. The cruise line has a decent chance of going belly-up by the end of the year, but it's cheap, I only put $100 into it and if it survives it will do quite well. I thought about putting money into Roku over the weekend -- already late on that. The share bottomed out at around $63 last Wednesday and is now close to $90.
          don't know how you can sleep at night thinking about the $43 you're missing out on here.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            don't know how you can sleep at night thinking about the $43 you're missing out on here.
            I would have put quite a bit more on Roku, there's very little risk they're going bankrupt unlike the cruise lines.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

The cruise line went from $8.50 a share last Thursday to over $20 today. I'm beginning to worry about the fact this business won't be making any money for around six solid months.

Comment

The cruise line went from $8.50 a share last Thursday to over $20 today. I'm beginning to worry about the fact this business won't be making any money for around six solid months.
                everything's coming up milhouse!
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

It's amazing how quickly the market has turned. There was a lot of cash waiting for the market to cool down and investors took advantage of the drop. It still seems a bit early. The recovery is going to depend heavily on how efficiently the money can flow people and businesses that need it. I don't think the government is capable of what is required.

Comment

I don’t think the market has really turned. There is still too much uncertainty as to what is going to happen. The last three days are just upward volatility fueled by some long term value opportunities. I expect we will continue to see wild swings both upward and downward for the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                      I don’t think the market has really turned. There is still too much uncertainty as to what is going to happen. The last three days are just upward volatility fueled by some long term value opportunities. I expect we will continue to see wild swings both upward and downward for the next few weeks.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, but what do I know? With more information on the spread of the COVID in the U.S., these investors may be feeling better about where they put their money. Also, what effect has this drawn out unveiling and approval of the stimulus package had? It seems that it's been a day-to-day progression: details of Senate package trickle out-market responds, Senate debates-market responds, Senate votes-market responds, now the House with vote and I assume the market will respond, then Trump will sign it, and another response?
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Yep, still way too volatile... a day trader's wet dream.
                        Last edited by Uncle Ted; 03-26-2020, 07:13 PM.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

There are really good long term values of the non-cruise ship sector variety. I put around $1000 each into Amex at $70 and GS at $150 earlier this week. I put $500 into Discover at around $30 and thought about putting some money into Capital One, but it doesn't earn the merchant account fees like Amex and Discover. Around $7k into an index last Friday. We reached close to a 40% overall decline on Monday. TBH, Amex worries me a bit since it went down to around $12 a share after the mortgage mess. I have no idea what the full economic impact of what's happening right now.

I put another $300 on Royal Caribbean and Six Flags (around $150 each). Norwegian went back down to $16, so that's only around a 100% return over a week. All of these companies could be in bankruptcy by the end of year for all I know, or they'll be fine and you can buy a share for less than 20% of their value from the peak from February. I don't think they're coming anywhere close to that peak for a really long time, but it's not like it's a permanently dying industry.

Comment

There are really good long term values of the non-cruise ship sector variety. I put around $1000 each into Amex at $70 and GS at $150 earlier this week. I put $500 into Discover at around $30 and thought about putting some money into Capital One, but it doesn't earn the merchant account fees like Amex and Discover. Around $7k into an index last Friday. We reached close to a 40% overall decline on Monday. TBH, Amex worries me a bit since it went down to around $12 a share after the mortgage mess. I have no idea what the full economic impact of what's happening right now.

I put another $300 on Royal Caribbean and Six Flags (around $150 each). Norwegian went back down to $16, so that's only around a 100% return over a week. All of these companies could be in bankruptcy by the end of year for all I know, or they'll be fine and you can buy a share for less than 20% of their value from the peak from February. I don't think they're coming anywhere close to that peak for a really long time, but it's not like it's a permanently dying industry.
                            henry-potter.jpg
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Not exactly a stock market post but indirectly it will have stock market impact. WTI May futures contracts trading negative today...
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Not exactly a stock market post but indirectly it will have stock market impact. WTI May futures contracts trading negative today...
                                Yep, currently at $-7 but it's also settlement day for May contracts so some wacky things were expected...but this is off the charts wacky. No one is using the May contract to predict or price anything, but it's still very interesting that it could settle negative today.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X