Memorable Moments in College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorable Moments in College Football

I met up with one of my best friends from high school tonight. We are both big college football fans and I guess it was inevitable that we would talk about early to mid-90s football while reminiscing about the good ol days. It’s funny how vivid some of these memories are almost 20 years later and just how exciting they still are for me. I’ve spent the last hour looking up some of these moments on youtube. Here are the ones that jump out the most to me:

Desmond Howard’s punt return against tOSU in 1991
    [YOUTUBE]OV-tVEbwreY[/YOUTUBE]

Wide Right I – Florida State vs Miami (ranked #1 and #2 respectively) in 1991. FSU kicker Gerry Thomas missed a 34 yard potential game winning kick with less than 30 seconds left. Miami goes on to win a share of the national championship. The image of Bobby Bowden running on to the field then stopping and putting his arms akimbo with a confused look on his face is the image that jumps out at me every time I hear his name mentioned.
    [YOUTUBE]ezbCtS5-0V8[/YOUTUBE]

Reggie Brooks of Notre Dame making a great run against Michigan in 1992. Brooks gets knocked unconscious about 3 yards before the endzone but stays on his feet long enough to score a touchdown.
    [YOUTUBE]X6j_GnIb2pY[/YOUTUBE]

1992 “Snow Bowl” between Notre Dame and Penn State. Notre Dame, trailing 16 – 9 with 25 seconds left, scored a touchdown and a 2-point conversion to win the game.
    [YOUTUBE]i5qfWhTP-Ek[/YOUTUBE]

“The Miracle at Michigan” – In 1994, Kordell Stewart throws a 64-yard Hail Mary against Michigan with 6 seconds left. Michael Westbrook catches the deflection in the endzone.
    [YOUTUBE]5Nt6HjqtJt8[/YOUTUBE]

Auburn vs LSU in 1994. LSU led 23 – 9 entering the 4th quarter. LSU’s QB threw 5 interceptions, 3 of them returned for touchdowns. Auburn won 30 – 26. (skip to 4:50)
    [YOUTUBE]be7LpX9CmPg[/YOUTUBE]

After watching so many of these highlights I realize just how much I miss keith Jackson.

I don't have the slightest clue how to embed, but Tommie Frazier might be my favorite non-BYU college player of all time and The Run, when undefeated Nebraska hammered undefeated Florida, was special. That Nebraska team, in my opinion, is the best college football team of the last 30 years.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LNIWaYNJZI"]TOMMIE FRAZIER THE RUN AGAINST FLORIDA FIESTA BOWL - YouTube[/nomedia]
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

[YOUTUBE]b55Tn_YbLK8&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]q3ykWbu2Gl0[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

[YOUTUBE]0fZCCAqoSwY&feature=fvsr[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          I don't have the slightest clue how to embed, but Tommie Frazier might be my favorite non-BYU college player of all time and The Run, when undefeated Nebraska hammered undefeated Florida, was special. That Nebraska team, in my opinion, is the best college football team of the last 30 years.

[YOUTUBE]5LNIWaYNJZI[/YOUTUBE]
          Those Nebraska teams in the 90s were brutal. The 1994 national championship game was epic. You are right, that 95 team was unreal. Everyone knew what they were going to throw at them but they just couldn't be stopped. I wasn't a huge fan of them at the time because they were so dominant. I wonder if we'll ever see the option run so perfectly again.

Comment

Originally posted by BemidjiCoug View Post
            [YOUTUBE]b55Tn_YbLK8&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

Both of these are classic. The Holiday Bowl was recounted to me several times as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by USU Coug View Post
              “The Miracle at Michigan” – In 1994, Kordell Stewart throws a 64-yard Hail Mary against Michigan with 6 seconds left. Michael Westbrook catches the deflection in the endzone.
              [YOUTUBE]5Nt6HjqtJt8[/YOUTUBE]

After watching so many of these highlights I realize just how much I miss keith Jackson.
              I thought the same thing when I watched your clip of the Kordell Stewart pass. I was impressed Keith Jackson didn't step all over the moment with a bunch of gibberish. He called the play, said "Incredible!", then let the pictures and the audio tell the story for several seconds. Then he punctuated the moment calmly as only he could: "There is no time remaining......there are no flags on the field....." Keith Jackson was the greatest.

By the way, I really dislike Colorado, but I still think that play is the most exciting CFB play in my lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by BemidjiCoug View Post

I think that play (which I actually watched live) is where the term "Hail Mary pass" originated.
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                  I thought the same thing when I watched your clip of the Kordell Stewart pass. I was impressed Keith Jackson didn't step all over the moment with a bunch of gibberish. He called the play, said "Incredible!", then let the pictures and the audio tell the story for several seconds. Then he punctuated the moment calmly as only he could: "There is no time remaining......there are no flags on the field....." Keith Jackson was the greatest.

By the way, I really dislike Colorado, but I still think that play is the most exciting CFB play in my lifetime.
                  I'm not a fan of Colorado either. I remember A&M going in to Boulder ranked #3 in 1995 and losing. The Colorado fans were chanting all sorts of bastardly things. I hate Neuheisel to this day.

This is another play I remember distinctly. At around this time my love for A&M had started to wane a bit so I didn't have quite the hatred for Texas as I did in the past. This was a remarkable achievement for Williams and marked (in my awareness at least) the return of big time football for the Longhorns.

[YOUTUBE]_7nSNJiF-m8[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                    I think that play (which I actually watched live) is where the term "Hail Mary pass" originated.
                    I hope you don't really think that...

Comment

Originally posted by statman View Post
                      I hope you don't really think that...
                      Well, "I think" is one way of saying "I'm not really sure." So I hope you don't think saying "I think" means "This is how it is!"

The Flutie pass was certainly called a "Hail Mary" pass, zillions of times. But you've caused me to learn something. The term was made famous by Roger Staubach.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail_Mary_pass"]Hail Mary pass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame].

I think.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

Keith Jackson passed away last night. I immediately thought of this thread when I heard the news. Jackson was the most prominent play by play guy when I first got into college football. He and Paul James are voices etched into my memories as a youth.

Comment

Working...
                        X