Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Police Brutality Thread

Quote Originally Posted by venkman View Post
    That's pretty outrageous. Tasers are used way too often.
    Not only that, but the brutality in ripping her out of the vehicle like that for not following his instructions is, in my opinion, an egregious misuse of power and authority. You can tell from her body language that she is scared, confused, and not threatening at all.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Yet another example of why I don't trust cops.

[YOUTUBE]VQtCC-ggZic[/YOUTUBE]
    I wonder if she had trace amounts of THC in her bloodstream.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    "We must always remember that the police are recruited from the criminal classes."

--Gore Vidal
    There was also a recent story about police departments not wanting to hire people with IQs above 100.

Woman tasered into brain death by fat Florida cop:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/227981.html

Oh, and she was handcuffed at the time.

Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar

Memo to self: do what cops say

Obviously, very sad regarding the girl in the coma.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Yet another example of why I don't trust cops.

[YOUTUBE]VQtCC-ggZic[/YOUTUBE]
    This one seems okay to me. Police officer is confronted with someone getting out of a vehicle he has stopped who does not comply when asked to get back inside and is arguing with him about the ticket. She has almost certainly broken the law at that point and the officer is trained that people who get belligerent and won't comply with basic commands that are there to keep the officer safe need to be arrested and cuffed. Failing to secure a person like that is how officers get killed. From our computer desks we can say "well that is just some mom with her kids" but at that side of the road he has someone who is out of her vehicle and not complying. You can't tell by looking what you might be dealing with and she is at that point obstructing justice or something similar. Officer has a right to tell her to stay in her vehicle and she is not obeying a lawful command.

Once he tells her she is under arrest, she gets back in the vehicle. So now he has someone who has failed to comply twice, who he is trying to arrest, behind the wheel of a lethal weapon. Again, he does not have any clue at this point who he is dealing with other than she is non-compliant and attempting to avoid arrest at this point. He is not going to tell her she is under arrest and then let her sit behind the wheel. So at the point he drags her out he can taze her or get on top of her with his knee in her back. I'm not a huge fan of tazers because they can kill people. So I can argue whether that is what this officer ought to be armed with. But if that is what his department his issued to him and told him to use when someone is resisting, I don't think he did the wrong thing. The other option is to try to subdue her at that side of a road with cars coming by. That is not safe for either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    This one seems okay to me. Police officer is confronted with someone getting out of a vehicle he has stopped who does not comply when asked to get back inside and is arguing with him about the ticket. She has almost certainly broken the law at that point and the officer is trained that people who get belligerent and won't comply with basic commands that are there to keep the officer safe need to be arrested and cuffed. Failing to secure a person like that is how officers get killed. From our computer desks we can say "well that is just some mom with her kids" but at that side of the road he has someone who is out of her vehicle and not complying. You can't tell by looking what you might be dealing with and she is at that point obstructing justice or something similar. Officer has a right to tell her to stay in her vehicle and she is not obeying a lawful command.

Once he tells her she is under arrest, she gets back in the vehicle. So now he has someone who has failed to comply twice, who he is trying to arrest, behind the wheel of a lethal weapon. Again, he does not have any clue at this point who he is dealing with other than she is non-compliant and attempting to avoid arrest at this point. He is not going to tell her she is under arrest and then let her sit behind the wheel. So at the point he drags her out he can taze her or get on top of her with his knee in her back. I'm not a huge fan of tazers because they can kill people. So I can argue whether that is what this officer ought to be armed with. But if that is what his department his issued to him and told him to use when someone is resisting, I don't think he did the wrong thing. The other option is to try to subdue her at that side of a road with cars coming by. That is not safe for either of them.
    Are we watching the same video

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    Are we watching the same video
    I think so. I just rewatched it. What part of what I said to take issue with? She doesn't get to not comply when he tells her to get back in and her non-compliance continues from there.

No matter how wrong the officer might be, comply with his commands. Problem solved. If he was wrong, take it up in a court of law, not on the side of the road.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    No matter how wrong the officer might be, comply with his commands. Problem solved. If he was wrong, take it up in a court of law, not on the side of the road.
    I think we all agree with that. But I am focused on whether he did something wrong.

I think so. I just rewatched it. What part of what I said to take issue with? She doesn't get to not comply when he tells her to get back in and her non-compliance continues from there.
    I see abuse of power and an escalation on the part of the officer. I can say I have gotten out of the car to ask a question etc and I have not had a officer reach for his gun or tazer while doing so. Based on what we know (From her side) she requested to see the dashboard clocking her at the speed (Which she has a right to ask). I have asked this and the officer showed me with no such issue.

It looks like she got out on that impression and he then requested her to get in the car and she requested to see the dashboard... It escalated from there.. I have seen video's of cops being more flexible with people that were even more aggressive then this person..

I think we all agree with that. But I am focused on whether he did something wrong.
    The biggest unanswered question, IMO, is what he based the pullover on. She demands to see his video, but we don't get any information on that part of the story.

I would like to hear the arresting officer's voice-over before rendering an opinion.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    I see abuse of power and an escalation on the part of the officer. I can say I have gotten out of the car to ask a question etc and I have not had a officer reach for his gun or tazer while doing so. Based on what we know (From her side) she requested to see the dashboard clocking her at the speed (Which she has a right to ask). I have asked this and the officer showed me with no such issue.

It looks like she got out on that impression and he then requested her to get in the car and she requested to see the dashboard... It escalated from there.. I have seen video's of cops being more flexible with people that were even more aggressive then this person..
    Does she have a right to ask that? I don't know. She doesn't in my state. He pulls the tazer after the second request to get back in the car is not complied with. If she has a right to see that and he refuses, then I would probably change my tune. Though does she have a right to see it right then on her terms, or does he have to show it some time during the stop when he is ready? I don't know. I can agree that maybe a more experienced cop would have spent more time reasoning with her. Just keep in mind that when they train these guys they show them video after video of an officer getting killed while they are reasoning and cajoling someone. I've got more reason than most people to be skeptical of police and I abhor police brutality. But police are entitled to reasonable measures to keep them safe too. Requiring a person to stay in their vehicle and comply with basic commands that are officer safety oriented are something I think we can all agree are necessary.

So here after she doesn't comply with the second command, he can either take control of the situation and make sure she doesn't escalate it or he can keep rolling the dice on what she might do next. Like I say, maybe a more experienced officer de-escalates this, but I have really hard time asking someone to take that risk.

Quote Originally Posted by edward777 View Post
    Woman tasered into brain death by fat Florida cop:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/227981.html

Oh, and she was handcuffed at the time.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

I think its pretty clear he reacted with way more force than was necessary, especially since there is no evidence on that video that she posed any actual threat to him.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Does she have a right to ask that? I don't know. She doesn't in my state. He pulls the tazer after the second request to get back in the car is not complied with. If she has a right to see that and he refuses, then I would probably change my tune. Though does she have a right to see it right then on her terms, or does he have to show it some time during the stop when he is ready? I don't know. I can agree that maybe a more experienced cop would have spent more time reasoning with her. Just keep in mind that when they train these guys they show them video after video of an officer getting killed while they are reasoning and cajoling someone. I've got more reason than most people to be skeptical of police and I abhor police brutality. But police are entitled to reasonable measures to keep them safe too. Requiring a person to stay in their vehicle and comply with basic commands that are officer safety oriented are something I think we can all agree are necessary.

So here after she doesn't comply with the second command, he can either take control of the situation and make sure she doesn't escalate it or he can keep rolling the dice on what she might do next. Like I say, maybe a more experienced officer de-escalates this, but I have really hard time asking someone to take that risk.
    She got back in the car. After she did, he should have just continued on like a normal human instead of then trying to grab her out of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    She got back in the car. After she did, he should have just continued on like a normal human instead of then trying to grab her out of the car.
    She got back in the car after he told her she was under arrest.

What if she got back in her car to get her gun?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    [YOUTUBE]GX5kwVc9IOk[/YOUTUBE]

Banned

I recently finished a seven-week tour of duty in an inner-city middle school. Middle school teachers are a lot like the cops we see in these videos. They get in the habit of asserting a really oppressive and ugly style of authority, and when the receivers of that ugly-style of authority balk, the ugliness escalates. I think these cops/teachers forget who they work for, and why their job exists.

The problem is, this mom-with-kids-in-the-car, got the ghetto treatment. I wonder if the same people who are crying foul in this instance would be equally upset if the woman were simply replaced by someone's whose appearance was more 'gangster.'

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    You could say the same if she got back in the car the second he told her to.

You could say the same if she got back in the car the second he told her to.
    If he told her to get back in the car, then she wouldn't have been under arrest and therefore had significantly less reason to pull out a gun to avoid arrest.

[YOUTUBE]GX5kwVc9IOk[/YOUTUBE]
    wow thats horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by camleish View Post
    Yep, shes only brain dead.

<Cop being killed video>
    Sorry, but there's no way I can watch something like that.

Yep, shes only brain dead.
    so it's necessary to refer to the officer as a "fat florida cop"?

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by camleish View Post
    so it's necessary to refer to the officer as a "fat florida cop"?

Evidently, Maximus has some serious resentment issues over a trifling texting ticket. Given his affinity for the Paletinians, I would expect Maximus to finally be able to let go of it somewhere around the 3rd Sunday in July of 2294.
    Last edited by Indy Coug; 05-24-2012 at 10:39 AM.

I agree with Indy, it's smart to comply with cops. The problem I have with cops in these situations is their approach. You can't discuss, argue, or plead your case. There is no discussion, no give and take. They give you a command, if you still want to discuss, they give you the command again, louder and more forceful. Before you know it, you're facedown on the pavement over a speeding ticket. It's ridiculous. Too often cops are the ones escalating the situation. We need a touch more Andy Griffith in law enforcement.
    "Remember to double tap"

Quote Originally Posted by venkman View Post
    I agree with Indy, it's smart to comply with cops. The problem I have with cops in these situations is their approach. You can't discuss, argue, or plead your case. There is no discussion, no give and take. They give you a command, if you still want to discuss, they give you the command again, louder and more forceful. Before you know it, you're facedown on the pavement over a speeding ticket. It's ridiculous. Too often cops are the ones escalating the situation. We need a touch more Andy Griffith in law enforcement.
    I agree with this idea but then I watch videos like the one UD posted and understand why cops thend to act like they do.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.