Page 57 of 75 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2248

Thread: The Police Brutality Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    It looks like Travis McMichaels was pissed that somebody stole a 9mm handgun from him (or at least from someone who had the gun in a truck outside Travis' house) and took the law into in his own hands, illegally.

They don't seem to even have evidence that Arbery stole the gun. Even if they did, it is not their right to interrogate him at gunpoint.

Arbery seems to attempt to avoid them when he runs to the right of the stationary truck - though the camera doesn't stay on the action. But when he gets around the truck, he seems to go straight at Travis and the shotgun. Why didn't he just keep running? Was he afraid they were going to shoot him in the back if he just kept running? What did they say to him?
    he'd already run into them and turned around once
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    he'd already run into them and turned around once
    That makes more sense. Thanks.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Welp, I guess I should have been shot a million times over.

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    It looks like Travis McMichaels was pissed that somebody stole a 9mm handgun from him (or at least from someone who had the gun in a truck outside Travis' house) and took the law into in his own hands, illegally.

They don't seem to even have evidence that Arbery stole the gun. Even if they did, it is not their right to interrogate him at gunpoint.

Arbery seems to attempt to avoid them when he runs to the right of the stationary truck - though the camera doesn't stay on the action. But when he gets around the truck, he seems to go straight at Travis and the shotgun. Why didn't he just keep running? Was he afraid they were going to shoot him in the back if he just kept running? What did they say to him?
    Just a guess - but it wouldn't surprise me if he yelled "stop or I'll shoot". I really can't think of anything else that would lead him to confront the dude with the gun. If you can keep running, keep running. If you're afraid to be shot if you keep running, then maybe you make a different choice.

Apparently these guys were using some citizen's arrest law - which the initial prosecutor who reviewed the case let them use to get off the hook.

Such a strange circumstance.

I can see allowing for the "castle" defense of protecting yourself in your own home. I even somewhat can see where they're coming from when there are stand your ground laws that allow someone to not have to evade or run away. But I have no idea what the prosecutor was thinking who says you can pull your gun on a guy and try to detain him as he runs down the street and isn't doing anything to attempt to take your property or enter your home.

I mean - seems like at best you could justify following the guy from a distance while calling the police and getting them there. But pulling a gun on a guy who isn't in the act of threatening anyone or in the very least taking or doing damage to property? That's just dumb.

I read that the original prosecutor recused herself - and now people want her to be fired for recusing herself. Anyone know more details about that? I mean - from what I read done of the guys was retired law enforcement or something? If she knew the guy and had worked with him in the past, it seems like recusing herself and allowing a prosecutor without a prior relationship to take the case would be the right call. She isn't the one who reviewed the evidence and declined to prosecute. What am I missing from this situation?

Good grief.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Good grief.

I don't understand the point or relevance of this. Why are people bringing up past misdeeds? Not sure how that's relevant to his murder. what am i missing?
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    I don't understand the point or relevance of this. Why are people bringing up past misdeeds? Not sure how that's relevant to his murder. what am i missing?
    He stole something as a teenager so he obviously deserved to get run down and shot a couple of years later.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    He stole something as a teenager so he obviously deserved to get run down and shot a couple of years later.
    Yup. I hear that stealing while black is a capital offense in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    of course. how could i have missed that!
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

I saw this on my FaceBook feed so it has to be true...

Photo Emerges Appearing To Show Ahmaud Arbery’s Killer At KKK Rally

[...]
    https://dailyboulder.com/photo-emerg...-at-kkk-rally/

Looks like the same dude... that tat on his arm might help confirm it.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Good hell, just sign the damn paper.

whoa.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Sorry. The cop should be disciplined. That's absurd. He scared her and she agreed to sign the ticket. Move on and don't let it escalate to that.

(It's opinions like this that explain my kids behavior.)

what a dummy.

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Good hell, just sign the damn paper.

LOL... the cop shot her. I think she would have been better off to just sign it: "Go F yourself, pig!"
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    LOL... the cop shot her. I think she would have been better off to just sign it: "Go F yourself, pig!"
    Taser

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Meh. I am with the cop on that one.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

The cop could have de-escalated the situation by allowing her to sign it when she backed down. But then she drove off and then I sided with the cop.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    The cop could have de-escalated the situation by allowing her to sign it when she backed down. But then she drove off and then I sided with the cop.
    The cop needed to be the adult here. Let's be real here, it's a registration ticket. Let her go, put out a warrant, and have her served papers to appear for her now various infractions. There was no imminent danger that would require her and her vehicle to be pulled of the streets in that moment. She can pay the price for her behavior without being chased down, yanked from her vehicle, tased, and humiliated.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    The cop needed to be the adult here. Let's be real here, it's a registration ticket. Let her go, put out a warrant, and have her served papers to appear for her now various infractions. There was no imminent danger that would require her and her vehicle to be pulled of the streets in that moment. She can pay the price for her behavior without being chased down, yanked from her vehicle, tased, and humiliated.
    Maybe. And that likely would be sufficient for most similar situations. Still, driving away after a cop orders someone out of the car rightfully sets off alarms. That's one escalation that even I can't excuse generally.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

It escalated when she drove off. What do you expect him to do at that point?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    When she drove off he should have let her go. Put out a warrant. Have her served papers to answer before the court for her various crimes. The cops have a lot of remedies that don't require this kind of trauma. The cop wanted instant gratification. He wanted her to pay and he wanted to be the one to do it.

When she drove off he should have let her go. Put out a warrant. Have her served papers to answer before the court for her various crimes. The cops have a lot of remedies that don't require this kind of trauma. The cop wanted instant gratification. He wanted her to pay and he wanted to be the one to do it.
    Put out a warrant? That's funny.

Yeah, let's let the white women use a different set of rules. What could go wrong?

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Yeah, let's let the white women use a different set of rules. What could go wrong?
    Will just be back in the same boat when Karen ignores the warrant and the police arrive to arrest her.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

What does race have to do with it? Life sucks with warrants out for you. Always worried about getting pulled over. That's plenty of punishment for an $80 offense. And when she finally takes care of it, it will have ballooned into a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Will just be back in the same boat when Karen ignores the warrant and the police arrive to arrest her.
    Exactly. If it worked once, it should work again!

There is not a cop anywhere that would have someone speed off in those circumstances and say, "Ah shucks. I'm just going to write up a warrant and have someone else deal with this someday."

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

What does race have to do with it? Life sucks with warrants out for you. Always worried about getting pulled over. That's plenty of punishment for an $80 offense. And when she finally takes care of it, it will have ballooned into a lot more.
    You assume Karen will take care of it. Obviously, that is not a high priority for her, going on 6 months with an expired registration. Karen thinks it is unfair and she should just get a warning. A continuous warning. Life does suck with a threat of a warrant. I got pulled over in Utah for letting my car registration expire because I was leaving the state in two weeks after graduating and starting my career. I took the risk and got pulled over. Not for breaking any traffic laws, but because the cop followed me and radioed in my plate to find out my registration was expired. Thought about not paying it since I didn't know when I would be back in Utah or if I beyond the reach of the law when living in Texas. Ultimately decided to pay the fine. Took a risk and got caught.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Well, if she was a black guy that was just out jogging, maybe looking at a house under construction, the cop maybe would have used his gun with the bullets instead. But she was a dumb white women that should have just signed the ticket "Kiss My *ss, Pig!" and been on her way.

However, I think I am with you on just issuing a warrant. The woman, with the right jury, might get off easy because they may think the cop was a little rough with her. (Man, I bet she pissed her pants with that taser.) A warrant on her record for resisting arrest could be very messy for her.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Sorry. The cop should be disciplined. That's absurd. He scared her and she agreed to sign the ticket. Move on and don't let it escalate to that.

(It's opinions like this that explain my kids behavior.)
    Dude, I almost always side against the cops in these instances (I also think it's interesting how folks on this board with family ties to law enforcement almost always side with the cops). But in this case, I'm firmly on Team Cop.

I do think the cop moved pretty quickly from her refusal to sign to "go ahead and step out of the car", but once he told her she was under arrest, everything that happened after that is on her (from the video on CNN's website):

He told her she was under arrest at :42.
    He told her to step out at :42
    again at :44
    again at :46
    again at :47
    again at :48 where he explicitly tells her he's giving her a lawful order.
    So what does she do? She rolls up her window and potentially locks her door!

At :58 he explicitly warns her to not take off.
    At 1:02 he tells her to step out again
    Again at 1:03
    So what does she do? She flees. She continues to flee a cop with lights and sirens for 4 minutes!

He tells her at 1:34 to get out of the car
    again at 1:37
    again at 1:39
    again at 1:41.
    When he finally gets her door open to remove her at 1:44
    What does she do? She fights back and hits at him!

He tells her to put her hands behind her back at 1:49,
    again at 1:50
    What does she do? she kicks him at 1:56!

He starts pulling his taser out at 1:57
    he fires it at 2:00 as she's still actively getting up
    he orders her at 2:05 to again put her hands behind her back (admittedly that's probably pretty hard to do when you're getting tased)
    again at 2:10
    again at 2:14.

And you think she got humiliated? The humiliation she suffered was completely self-inflicted.

When you say, "she can pay the price for her behavior", which "behavior" are you talking about? The behavior of driving around with a smashed in tail light for 6 months? If so, I agree. The price of that behavior was $80, but she obviously didn't want to pay that price.

Or are you talking about the price of all her behavior after :42? The price for all that behavior is exactly what she got. She's lucky she didn't pay the price of taking a bullet after she kicked the cop "because she's a country girl".

Sorry man, you're just flat out wrong on this one.

Default The Police Brutality Thread

Write up a warrant... She may be all infected with Covid-19 and stuff. Live to fight another day.

A warrant for resisting arrest would mess her sh*t up. Maybe by the time she finds out that she has a serious warrant on her record she would have grown a brain and turned herself in.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 05-22-2020 at 02:17 PM.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!