The Police Brutality Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Police Brutality Thread

I just wonder why this story is not on the front page of some of our US newspapers! Why did I have to find it in a British source?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-37-death.html

His father, a retired policeman, has some things to say about why his son was killed, and it should scare all Americans:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knWYW5m7xXc&feature=related"]‪Why Was Kelly Thomas Beaten to Death by Fullerton Police?‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/us/cal...tml?hpt=hp_bn1

Comment

[YOUTUBE]KU0Imk2Bstg[/YOUTUBE]

This is just awful.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        This is just awful.
        Yes. It's been all over the local news, and awful is the word.
        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by edward777 View Post
          I just wonder why this story is not on the front page of some of our US newspapers! Why did I have to find it in a British source?
          Because Trayvon Martin hasn't quite made its way out of the news cycle.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

It is pretty remarkable to have video and audio like that in the security camera. Here are some details that I noticed.

1. Thomas, who is homeless, begins by lying to the police. He first says that he doesn't speak English, even though it is obvious that he does. He is reluctant to give his name, but eventually the cops are heard saying the name 'Kelly Thomas.' They aren't sure if that is actually his name.

2. Thomas volunteers his backpack for a search. He didn't need to do this, as there was no probable cause (other than his lying about not speaking English). Several times during the search of the backpack the officers turn their back on Thomas and leave him unattended, demonstrating that they did not see him as a physical threat.

3. The officers are heard searching the backpack for evidence to make an arrest on something completely unrelated to anything going on. He has mail that once belonged to someone else. The cops discuss arresting him for stealing the mail, though they never discuss the possibility that the mail was simply taken out of a dumpster (at the beginning of the video Thomas explains that he sleeps in garbage cans). Note to self -- never consent to any search of my person or property by police, regardless of my innocence.

4. Thomas is seen generally cooperating with the police, however there is some reluctance on his part as the officer asks him to do something that is somewhat physically difficult -- to stretch his legs out and put his hands on his knees. He protests that doing both at the same time is difficult for him. The officer tells him that he better learn to do it quickly.

5. Here is my best attempt at transcribing what happens in the video once they seem to have decided to make the arrest. This begins at 14:33

The fat officer approaches Thomas and says, "Feet out in front of you. Feet out in front of you. I'm not fucking around any more dude." There is some inaudible stuff the cop says at this point.

Thomas hesitates, but shifts his feet a bit more forward. The officer continues as he can be seen putting on a pair of gloves, "Feet out in front of you." After a pause, Thomas leans back, supporting himself on his hands, and extends his legs straight out in front of him. He seems to be trying to comply.

The officer says, "Put your hands on your fucking knees." Thomas pulls his legs in and rests his arms on his knees.

The officer says, "Put your feet out in front of you." Thomas responds, "Well which one is it dude?" The officer sharply interjects, "BOTH!" Thomas says, "Well I can't do both." The officer replies, "Well you are going to have to learn real quick."

Thomas extends his legs, leaning back on his hands again. The officer points at his knees and says, "Put your hands on your knees." As he says this he walks to a position slightly behind Thomas. Thomas quickly puts his hands on his knees. 15:18

From the position slightly behind Thomas, the officer leans down and says, "Now, see my fists?" Thomas replies, "Yeah, what about them?" The officer says, "They are getting ready to fuck you up..." 15:23

Thomas replies to the threat with anger, "Start punching, dude!" The officer continues his sentence, "... if you don't fucking start listening."

Thomas muddles something that sounds like, "That sucks."

There is a pause as the officer hovers over Thomas. Thomas, who appears uncomfortable in the position he is sitting, moves his hands back behind him to support himself. The officer shouts at him, "Put your fucking hands on your knees."

Thomas responds, gesturing in a pleading fashion with his hands, "Well hey, I'm sick of playing games, which... which one is it?"

The officer grabs Thomas' left arm and shouts "Put your fucking hands on your knees."

Thomas begins to stand up as he says, "Will you just fucking..." The officer shouts at him and handles him roughly and Thomas jumps to his feet. A second officer comes over, and Thomas puts up his hands, palms facing the police in a defensive manner, and says, "Alright!"

The second officer has his club out and walks toward Thomas telling him to "Get on the ground right now." Thomas backs away from the officer with the club. The officer leans in and strikes at Thomas's knee with the club. 15:45

The deadly beating follows.
            Last edited by RobinFinderson; 05-09-2012, 09:01 AM.

Comment

The officers still sound worried that if they let up he's going to "fight again" very late into the video. He must have 1500 pounds of cops sitting on him before they finally let up. I heard one officer saying "he's on something man, there were 3 of us and we couldn't (inaudible)". Did this guy die from a beating or from suffocation?

Comment

Disgusting. So sad.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  [YOUTUBE]KU0Imk2Bstg[/YOUTUBE]

This is just awful.
                  Listening to him cry for help for his Dad makes me sick to my stomach and ill... I can't imagine how his father is so composed in his interviews and to hear that video of his dear son... That would haunt me forever...
                  Last edited by dabrockster; 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                    The officers still sound worried that if they let up he's going to "fight again" very late into the video. He must have 1500 pounds of cops sitting on him before they finally let up. I heard one officer saying "he's on something man, there were 3 of us and we couldn't (inaudible)". Did this guy die from a beating or from suffocation?
                    Well since he never actually fought, how could he fight again? Most he did was back away and not put his hands behind his back fast enough while being beat on the ground. He never made a move against a cop.

Comment

All Trayvon Martin kidding aside, the reason why this story hasn't had more traction nationally yet is because the victim is white.
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

This breaks my heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                          Well since he never actually fought, how could he fight again? Most he did was back away and not put his hands behind his back fast enough while being beat on the ground. He never made a move against a cop.
                          He can be seen in the video kicking his legs in a way that looks like he is trying to put distance between himself and a police assailant. To me it looks like reflex. I have a hard time understanding how someone stops from reflexively blocking blows from someone with a weapon. It is as if they are saying, "Relax, or I won't stop beating you." But how do you relax when you are being beaten to a bloody pulp with weapons?

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                            He can be seen in the video kicking his legs in a way that looks like he is trying to put distance between himself and a police assailant. To me it looks like reflex. I have a hard time understanding how someone stops from reflexively blocking blows from someone with a weapon. It is as if they are saying, "Relax, or I won't stop beating you." But how do you relax when you are being beaten to a bloody pulp with weapons?

That is not even the worse photo of his beating.. There is another that shows his front shot that shows all the swelling etc.. It is disgusting what they did....

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post

I think you're right. From the minute they knock him down he's got, I'd guess, a minimum of 450 pounds of cops pushing down into him. The will to breathe would make anyone resist that I would think. And the entire time, it's that reflexive resistance that fuels the response. Adding another 1,000 pounds of cop isn't going to decrease resistance from anyone who feels like they can't breathe. And what is the guy crying out most of the time? "I can't breathe".

Comment

Working...
                              X