Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 1796

Thread: The Police Brutality Thread

  1. #1711
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    51,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Write up a warrant... She may be all infected with Covid-19 and stuff. Live to fight another day.

    A warrant for resisting arrest would mess her sh*t up. Maybe by the time she finds out that she has a serious warrant on her record she would have grown a brain and turned herself in.
    What makes you think she won't end up with a record?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  2. #1712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    What makes you think she won't end up with a record?
    She didn't have any outstanding warrants before this. That says something.

  3. #1713
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    22,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Dude, I almost always side against the cops in these instances (I also think it's interesting how folks on this board with family ties to law enforcement almost always side with the cops). But in this case, I'm firmly on Team Cop.

    I do think the cop moved pretty quickly from her refusal to sign to "go ahead and step out of the car", but once he told her she was under arrest, everything that happened after that is on her (from the video on CNN's website):

    He told her she was under arrest at :42.
    He told her to step out at :42
    again at :44
    again at :46
    again at :47
    again at :48 where he explicitly tells her he's giving her a lawful order.
    So what does she do? She rolls up her window and potentially locks her door!

    At :58 he explicitly warns her to not take off.
    At 1:02 he tells her to step out again
    Again at 1:03
    So what does she do? She flees. She continues to flee a cop with lights and sirens for 4 minutes!

    He tells her at 1:34 to get out of the car
    again at 1:37
    again at 1:39
    again at 1:41.
    When he finally gets her door open to remove her at 1:44
    What does she do? She fights back and hits at him!

    He tells her to put her hands behind her back at 1:49,
    again at 1:50
    What does she do? she kicks him at 1:56!

    He starts pulling his taser out at 1:57
    he fires it at 2:00 as she's still actively getting up
    he orders her at 2:05 to again put her hands behind her back (admittedly that's probably pretty hard to do when you're getting tased)
    again at 2:10
    again at 2:14.

    And you think she got humiliated? The humiliation she suffered was completely self-inflicted.

    When you say, "she can pay the price for her behavior", which "behavior" are you talking about? The behavior of driving around with a smashed in tail light for 6 months? If so, I agree. The price of that behavior was $80, but she obviously didn't want to pay that price.

    Or are you talking about the price of all her behavior after :42? The price for all that behavior is exactly what she got. She's lucky she didn't pay the price of taking a bullet after she kicked the cop "because she's a country girl".

    Sorry man, you're just flat out wrong on this one.
    If I was on the jury for this one I would think the cop used excessive, unnecessary force for a stupid $80 ticket from video evidence. But to make sure I would ask the judge to have the taser demonstrated on the cop to see if he would piss his pants too. If he did piss his pants then I would side with the lady if her claim was the cop was too rough with her but wouldn’t give her a pass on the broken tail light charge.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  4. #1714
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    22,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    What makes you think she won't end up with a record?
    Someone like me on her jury. ^^^^
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  5. #1715
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    3,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    If I was on the jury for this one I would think the cop used excessive, unnecessary force for a stupid $80 ticket from video evidence. But to make sure I would ask the judge to have the taser demonstrated on the cop to see if he would piss his pants too. If he did piss his pants then I would side with the lady if her claim was the cop was too rough with her but wouldn’t give her a pass on the broken tail light charge.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You think he used force on her for an $80 ticket? If so, you've got to be one of the dumbest smart people I know.

    I think he used force on her for refusing a lawful order, resisting arrest, assault, etc.

  6. #1716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    You think he used force on her for an $80 ticket? If so, you've got to be one of the dumbest smart people I know.

    I think he used force on her for refusing a lawful order, resisting arrest, assault, etc.
    All of which started with an $80 ticket.

  7. #1717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    All of which started with an $80 ticket.
    I am solidly on your side about this, at least philosophically. Cop interactions with the citizenry should be kept at a necessary minimum. Any small infractions that don’t affect public safety should be kept out of their purview. All it takes is for either the cop or the citizen (or both) to have a bad day, and something escalates tragically from an expired tag.

    If it’s important for the state to require plates and tags, then send people who don’t pay to collections. Stop using cops to enforce bill paying.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

  8. #1718
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    22,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    You think he used force on her for an $80 ticket? If so, you've got to be one of the dumbest smart people I know.

    I think he used force on her for refusing a lawful order, resisting arrest, assault, etc.
    Yeah, she was obviously hot headed and not thinking straight. There is no reason to escalate a situation like this as a cop if they don't have to. She didn't murder someone or something. Someone that is upset like this may have just thrown the car into reverse and ran the cop dude over before he could get off more than two shots. Crazy, upset people are unpredictable. A lot of cops like their power trips but it doesn't help the situation. Just write her up for the warrant and then go bust out someone else's tail light for the next ticket.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  9. #1719
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    51,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, she was obviously hot headed and not thinking straight. There is no reason to escalate a situation like this as a cop if they don't have to. She didn't murder someone or something. Someone that is upset like this may have just thrown the car into reverse and ran the cop dude over before he could get off more than two shots. Crazy, upset people are unpredictable. A lot of cops like their power trips but it doesn't help the situation. Just write her up for the warrant and then go bust out someone else's tail light for the next ticket.
    Yes, of course. If someone is hot-headed then the cops should just back off and not do anything. Let her drive off, etc. As long as she didn't murder anyone.

    This is why people complain about white privilege.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  10. #1720
    Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Outside the Matrix
    Posts
    4,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    Sorry. The cop should be disciplined. That's absurd. He scared her and she agreed to sign the ticket. Move on and don't let it escalate to that.

    (It's opinions like this that explain my kids behavior.)
    Oh brother.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

  11. #1721
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    16,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yes, of course. If someone is hot-headed then the cops should just back off and not do anything. Let her drive off, etc. As long as she didn't murder anyone.

    This is why people complain about white privilege.
    Yeah, c'mon people. If this had been a black woman, or hispanic woman, in the hood, most people now talking about police over-reach would be rejecting the calls of racism and talking about how "people need to stop when the police tell you to do so." Had it been an illegal alien, then it would go on Trumps wall of fame of how immigration is destroying America.

    Just sign the paper.

    I laughed as she was rolling around on the ground after being tased. Still makes me chuckle.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  12. #1722
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    22,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yes, of course. If someone is hot-headed then the cops should just back off and not do anything. Let her drive off, etc. As long as she didn't murder anyone.

    This is why people complain about white privilege.
    Yeah, if she was seen going into houses under construction he should have just shot her right then and there with the good gun.

    She didn't get off for the $80 ticket... and she is a white woman! And she would have a warrant for her arrest on her record on top of that. Are you saying if she was black and a man the cop would have just shot her for not signing the $80 ticket? If so, I don't think you have a dark enough sun tan and a long enough penis to be saying stuff like that.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  13. #1723
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    12,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, if she was seen going into houses under construction he should have just shot her right then and there with the good gun.

    She didn't get off for the $80 ticket... and she is a white woman! And she would have a warrant for her arrest on her record on top of that. Are you saying if she was black and a man the cop would have just shot her for not signing the $80 ticket? If so, I don't think you have a dark enough sun tan and a long enough penis to be saying stuff like that.
    What about girth?


    Sorry. Silicon Valley is still on my mind.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  14. #1724
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    51,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, if she was seen going into houses under construction he should have just shot her right then and there with the good gun.

    She didn't get off for the $80 ticket... and she is a white woman! And she would have a warrant for her arrest on her record on top of that. Are you saying if she was black and a man the cop would have just shot her for not signing the $80 ticket? If so, I don't think you have a dark enough sun tan and a long enough penis to be saying stuff like that.
    No, she didn't get off. But you all are outraged that she wasn't allowed to behave the way she did and just drive off.

    What the hell good does a warrant for an arrest do for her when you believe she should be able to resist arrest without consequence? Lol. That is ridiculous.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  15. #1725
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    I'll pick up the ACLU cudgel for a moment. This reminds me a little of the incident with which Malcolm Gladwell begins and ends his book Talking to Strangers in which a cop and a young black woman both overreact to a situation because of preconceived notions and prejudices, and a simple situation worsens quickly into a fatality. Although the woman was more at fault in this instance, with the benefit of several minutes to think about this (something the officer unfortunately didn't have), I would have let her go because (i) he already had all the information he needed to cite her, including videographic evidence, so her signature was unnecessary and there was no reason to insist on one, and (ii) neither the nature of her violation nor her initial state of mind posed a threat to herself, the officer, or the public. If the fine(s) aren't paid on time, they can impound her vehicle without her willing participation. She was wrong, and this doesn't rise to the level of a cause celebre, but the officer had all he needed and should have let her return to her lair.
    Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 05-22-2020 at 04:26 PM.

  16. #1726
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    22,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    No, she didn't get off. But you all are outraged that she wasn't allowed to behave the way she did and just drive off.

    What the hell good does a warrant for an arrest do for her when you believe she should be able to resist arrest without consequence? Lol. That is ridiculous.
    It's not ridiculous... she would have a warrant for her arrest for resisting arrest. A felony. As a member of her jury I would look at the evidence and say: "Yep, she had a broken tail light. And yep, she was resisting arrest. I hope the judge throws the book at her."

    But now, if I was on the jury and saw that video I would say, "The cop didn't have to do that. Good hell, he shocked the piss out of her with that taser. She was obviously upset and he should have just tried to not escalated the situation and made it worse especially over an $80 ticket."

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I'll pick up the ACLU cudgel her for a moment. This reminds me a little of the incident with which Malcolm Gladwell begins and ends his book Talking to Strangers in which a cop and a young black woman both overreact to a situation because of preconceived notions and prejudices, and a simple situation worsens quickly into a fatality. Although the woman was more at fault in this instance, with the benefit of several minutes to think about this (something the officer unfortunately didn't have), I would have let her go because (i) he already had all the information he needed to cite her, including videographic evidence, so her signature was unnecessary and there was no reason to insist on one, and (ii) neither the nature of her violation nor her initial state of mind posed a threat to herself, the officer, or the public. If the fine(s) aren't paid on time, they can impound her vehicle without her willing participation. She was wrong, and this doesn't rise to the level of a cause celebre, but the officer had all he needed and should have let her return to her lair.
    Yeah, what PAC said.

    Crazy, upset people are unpredictable so why take the risk when you don't have to. Also, she is obviously a drumpf supporter so she most likely doesn't wear masks and has the Kung Flu. Just stay the heck away from her and live to fight another day.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  17. #1727
    Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    51,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    It's not ridiculous... she would have a warrant for her arrest for resisting arrest. A felony. As a member of her jury I would look at the evidence and say: "Yep, she had a broken tail light. And yep, she was resisting arrest. I hope the judge throws the book at her."

    But now, if I was on the jury and saw that video I would say, "The cop didn't have to do that. Good hell, he shocked the piss out of her with that taser. She was obviously upset and he should have just tried to not escalated the situation and made it worse especially over an $80 ticket."
    So walk us through what happens when she gets pulled over on that warrant. Still started with a dumb $80 fine, right? Just keep pulling her over to see if she is in a better mood next time?

    "OK, I see you are still upset about this. Have a nice day and we will catch you later."
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  18. #1728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I'll pick up the ACLU cudgel for a moment. This reminds me a little of the incident with which Malcolm Gladwell begins and ends his book Talking to Strangers in which a cop and a young black woman both overreact to a situation because of preconceived notions and prejudices, and a simple situation worsens quickly into a fatality. Although the woman was more at fault in this instance, with the benefit of several minutes to think about this (something the officer unfortunately didn't have), I would have let her go because (i) he already had all the information he needed to cite her, including videographic evidence, so her signature was unnecessary and there was no reason to insist on one, and (ii) neither the nature of her violation nor her initial state of mind posed a threat to herself, the officer, or the public. If the fine(s) aren't paid on time, they can impound her vehicle without her willing participation. She was wrong, and this doesn't rise to the level of a cause celebre, but the officer had all he needed and should have let her return to her lair.
    This.

    Police officers should be better able to de-escalate situations. Some people are just better at doing that than others. But his reaction was predictable based on the training I received in the academy. After working a few years in the prison, I developed advanced de-escalation skills that have served me well in some pretty hairy situations.

  19. #1729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I'll pick up the ACLU cudgel for a moment. This reminds me a little of the incident with which Malcolm Gladwell begins and ends his book Talking to Strangers in which a cop and a young black woman both overreact to a situation because of preconceived notions and prejudices, and a simple situation worsens quickly into a fatality. Although the woman was more at fault in this instance, with the benefit of several minutes to think about this (something the officer unfortunately didn't have), I would have let her go because (i) he already had all the information he needed to cite her, including videographic evidence, so her signature was unnecessary and there was no reason to insist on one, and (ii) neither the nature of her violation nor her initial state of mind posed a threat to herself, the officer, or the public. If the fine(s) aren't paid on time, they can impound her vehicle without her willing participation. She was wrong, and this doesn't rise to the level of a cause celebre, but the officer had all he needed and should have let her return to her lair.
    Not sure about that jurisdiction, but if someone refuses to sign in Utah, the officer just writes, "refused to sign," and gives them the ticket and goes on his merry way. If that jurisdiction requires a signature or arrest, I think its legislature should address it.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

  20. #1730
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    Not sure about that jurisdiction, but if someone refuses to sign in Utah, the officer just writes, "refused to sign," and gives them the ticket and goes on his merry way. If that jurisdiction requires a signature or arrest, I think its legislature should address it.
    That's the way it should be, of course, especially when the officer has a video record of the person being cited and the refusal to sign. But your point intrigued me enough to perform three minutes of legal research (typical for me on projects nowadays) and I found this on the relevant state web page for traffic violations:

    If you wish to contest the ticket, you will have the opportunity to explain your point of view of what happened in court. Your acceptance and signature on a traffic ticket is not an admission of guilt, however, the refusal to sign a traffic ticket may result in your arrest.[Emphasis added]
    . But note the permissive "may," allowing an officer discretion. For the reasons I mentioned earlier, I think the officer should have simply tipped his cap and moved on, but he was certainly acting within his authority.

  21. #1731
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    3,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    That's the way it should be, of course, especially when the officer has a video record of the person being cited and the refusal to sign. But your point intrigued me enough to perform three minutes of legal research (typical for me on projects nowadays) and I found this on the relevant state web page for traffic violations:

    . But note the permissive "may," allowing an officer discretion. For the reasons I mentioned earlier, I think the officer should have simply tipped his cap and moved on, but he was certainly acting within his authority.
    I agree with this. As I stated earlier, I think the officer jumped pretty quickly to "step out of the car, you're under arrest"; however, everything that happened after that is the idiot woman's fault and she got what she deserved, IMNSHO.

  22. #1732
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    22,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    So walk us through what happens when she gets pulled over on that warrant. Still started with a dumb $80 fine, right? Just keep pulling her over to see if she is in a better mood next time?

    "OK, I see you are still upset about this. Have a nice day and we will catch you later."
    He should have just explained to her that she needed to chill or she could a felony on her record. Like PAC said the officer had all the information he needed to cite her and didn't need to escalate things. The judge would review it and most likely issue the warrant. Maybe if he clearly told her that she could be in serious trouble (charged with resisting arrest, have a warrant out on her, being facing X number of years in prison, etc.) if she didn't sign the ticket then maybe she would have become clueful and just signed the stupid $80 ticket instead.

    Now she is facing some serious charges she will most likely be asking for a trial by jury. With the right jury she could maybe get off most of the charges because the officer didn't really help in de-escalating the situation and looked more like he was having a power trip on a 65 year old woman. You don't know what people's situations are. Maybe she is being abused by her husband or someone ran over her dog that day. She was clearly upset. Just because she is being an *sshole doesn't mean the cop has to be one too. While he was in his right to take her down the way he did he didn't have to do it that way. Yeah, it is a good thing I won't be on her jury. I would definitely ask the judge to have the cop demonstrate being tased.

    "Now what would happen if the taser probes got you in the balls, officer? Can you please show us what kind of pain that would infect on a person? Oh wow, man. That looks really painful. You must have really given it to grandma laying there on the ground! It was lucky of you that you didn't give her an heart attack, bro."
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  23. #1733
    Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Outside the Matrix
    Posts
    4,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Dude, I almost always side against the cops in these instances (I also think it's interesting how folks on this board with family ties to law enforcement almost always side with the cops). But in this case, I'm firmly on Team Cop.

    I do think the cop moved pretty quickly from her refusal to sign to "go ahead and step out of the car", but once he told her she was under arrest, everything that happened after that is on her (from the video on CNN's website):

    He told her she was under arrest at :42.
    He told her to step out at :42
    again at :44
    again at :46
    again at :47
    again at :48 where he explicitly tells her he's giving her a lawful order.
    So what does she do? She rolls up her window and potentially locks her door!

    At :58 he explicitly warns her to not take off.
    At 1:02 he tells her to step out again
    Again at 1:03
    So what does she do? She flees. She continues to flee a cop with lights and sirens for 4 minutes!

    He tells her at 1:34 to get out of the car
    again at 1:37
    again at 1:39
    again at 1:41.
    When he finally gets her door open to remove her at 1:44
    What does she do? She fights back and hits at him!

    He tells her to put her hands behind her back at 1:49,
    again at 1:50
    What does she do? she kicks him at 1:56!

    He starts pulling his taser out at 1:57
    he fires it at 2:00 as she's still actively getting up
    he orders her at 2:05 to again put her hands behind her back (admittedly that's probably pretty hard to do when you're getting tased)
    again at 2:10
    again at 2:14.

    And you think she got humiliated? The humiliation she suffered was completely self-inflicted.

    When you say, "she can pay the price for her behavior", which "behavior" are you talking about? The behavior of driving around with a smashed in tail light for 6 months? If so, I agree. The price of that behavior was $80, but she obviously didn't want to pay that price.

    Or are you talking about the price of all her behavior after :42? The price for all that behavior is exactly what she got. She's lucky she didn't pay the price of taking a bullet after she kicked the cop "because she's a country girl".

    Sorry man, you're just flat out wrong on this one.
    Yep.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

  24. #1734
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I agree with this. As I stated earlier, I think the officer jumped pretty quickly to "step out of the car, you're under arrest"; however, everything that happened after that is the idiot woman's fault and she got what she deserved, IMNSHO.
    I'm kind of enjoying my newfound role as the board bleeding heart, and I realize I'm belaboring this nearly year-old incident at this point, but I'd add to the timeline you provided that at the 0:58 mark she snarls, "Give me that and I'll sign it!." Rather than hand her the ticket, the officer responds, "We're way beyond that," and insists that she get of of the car. Why?

    I don't like second-guessing a cop's decision in the heat of the moment, but I don't see why there had to be any heat in this moment. This was a crotchety old grandma. Among other things, the officer could have first explained that if she didn't sign the ticket he would have to arrest her, rather than "surprise" her with the arrest. This collar was less than righteous.

  25. #1735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    The cop could have de-escalated the situation by allowing her to sign it when she backed down. But then she drove off and then I sided with the cop.
    Oh eff that. She deserved what she got. The cop was being extremely accomodating until she turned into a lunatic.

  26. #1736
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I'm kind of enjoying my newfound role as the board bleeding heart, and I realize I'm belaboring this nearly year-old incident at this point, but I'd add to the timeline you provided that at the 0:58 mark she snarls, "Give me that and I'll sign it!." Rather than hand her the ticket, the officer responds, "We're way beyond that," and insists that she get of of the car. Why?

    I don't like second-guessing a cop's decision in the heat of the moment, but I don't see why there had to be any heat in this moment. This was a crotchety old grandma. Among other things, the officer could have first explained that if she didn't sign the ticket he would have to arrest her, rather than "surprise" her with the arrest. This collar was less than righteous.
    That one moment, where she says she will sign, is the one point where I think it is even possible the officer was beyond the line of permissible conduct. I’ll have to give that point some thought.

    Otherwise, I think he was entitled to do everything he did. But even then there were plenty of times when he could have taken a better course of action. They won’t use this video as an example of best practices, that’s for sure.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  27. #1737
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,122

    Default

    And it wasn’t a registration issue. The back of her truck, including lights, was smashed up


    https://kubrick.htvapps.com/htv-prod...h&resize=660:*
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  28. #1738

    Default

    This one is on Karen. The cop was plenty patient.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  29. #1739

    Default

    disgusting. senseless. hard to imagine any possible justification.

    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  30. #1740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    disgusting. senseless. hard to imagine any possible justification.

    Well you know, forgers can turn on you in an instant, even when a knee is on their neck. And black forgers?!? The most dangerous kind.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •