No announcement yet.

The Police Brutality Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disgusting. There is absolutely no excuse for what these thugs with badges did. Asshole cop was looking for a fight. Like the dad said, his son was guilty of "contempt of cop". This was murder, plain and simple.
    "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
      In my profession there is the expression "tie goes to the officer." Whether it is in a courtroom or an IA investigation and the only evidence is an officer's word against the criminal suspect's word unless what the officer is saying makes absolutely no rational sense he will be believed every single time. Officers who step over the line don't do it with you and me, they do it with people who no one will believe. They are unaccountable in those scenarios and just like all other human beings the temptation is too much for some of them.

Most cops are good cops in a few of them are bad. Same thing is true of lawyers. People are people.
      The bolded part is just not true. Especially when the offenses are minor.

I do agree with you that people are people. There are some bad ones that manage to obtain badges... They ordinarily don't keep them very long.

Good cops despise bad cops. They are a disgrace.
      "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
      -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
      -Miyamoto Musashi

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by Devildog View Post

I do agree with you that people are people. There are some bad ones that manage to obtain badges... They ordinarily don't keep them very long.

Cops have to be held to higher standards. If they can't handle have their every move scrutinized, they're in the wrong profession. I have seen far too many abuses with my own eyes to ever trust them, especially white cops. I'd make a horrible juror.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          Cops have to be held to higher standards. If they can't handle have their every move scrutinized, they're in the wrong profession.
          You are more correct than you even realize.
          "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
          -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
          -Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

Damn straight it's reverse racism. If a black man was beaten to a bloody pulp on video, along with the audio of his terrible demise:

1. This story would have made headlines back in July or August of last year, not this week

2. The level of scrutiny from media and various political factions would be so high that it would overwhelm the newspaper headlines and air time on television.

But since it was only a mentally ill white man, there's no danger of rioting, so it serves no purpose for the media and other ne'er-do-wells to stir the pot for their own nefarious purposes.
            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

You are more correct than you even realize.
              FTR, again, I've written many times that I think cops deserve a sabbatical. Every 5-7 years, we should give them six months off to do absolutely nothing related to policing. And, yes, I'm willing to pay for it.

I also support requiring college degrees for cops, ending the war on drugs completely, and harsher penalties for using a weapon in the commission of a crime.
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

FTR, again, I've written many times that I think cops deserve a sabbatical. Every 5-7 years, we should give them six months off to do absolutely nothing related to policing. And, yes, I'm willing to pay for it.

I also support requiring college degrees for cops, ending the war on drugs completely, and harsher penalties for using a weapon in the commission of a crime.
                Good luck finding enough people with college degrees willing to be cops.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  I have seen news stories about people turned down for being too intelligent. The explanation given is that they would be too bored by the monotony and lack of intellectual stimulation.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    I have seen news stories about people turned down for being too intelligent. The explanation given is that they would be too bored by the monotony and lack of intellectual stimulation.
                    I am sure that it was more of a "you're too intelligent, and I have to hire the deadbeat son of my cousin/boss/lady I am sleeping with..."
                    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

I have a great deal of courtroom experience to the contrary, but perhaps things are not the same everywhere.

Comment

In our poor economy, with shrinking budgets, reduced benefits, and cutting positions... there are fewer cops and more work to do.

No cops anywhere I know of, are going to be taking a paid sabbatical anytime soon. I would like to see somebody propose this though... The response would be funny to watch.

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        It's usually the cops with degrees that become the leaders. I don't know anything about the situation that this thread is about... but if the situation is as described... It was those leaders themselves that allowed a situation like this to occur. Plain and simple failure to train, and failure to supervise.

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                        I have a great deal of courtroom experience to the contrary, but perhaps things are not the same everywhere.
                        Dan I'm sure your experience is valid. Equating courtrooms to IA investigations is probably inaccurate. The politics that exist within a department (where everyone is a cop) is very different than in a courtroom.

Plain and simple. Good cops always try to weigh their actions, they know they are responsible to the citizens they serve, and they try to weed out their own ranks of those they feel, don't honor their responsibilities.

In spite of this, many citizens still view all police as thugs and that perception isn't true from my view.
                        -Thucydides

-Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                          Sorry, but I don't live in fear of the police. I've run the numbers and the numbers also agree with my risk assessment.
                          I would be interested in an explanation of this risk assessment.
                          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Plain and simple. Good cops always try to weigh their actions, they know they are responsible to the citizens they serve, and they try to weed out their own ranks of those they feel, don't honor their responsibilities.

In spite of this, many citizens still view all police as thugs and that perception isn't true from my view.
                            Welcome to my world amigo.

Comment

Yet another example of why I don't trust cops.

[YOUTUBE]VQtCC-ggZic[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Yet another example of why I don't trust cops.

[YOUTUBE]VQtCC-ggZic[/YOUTUBE]
                                That's pretty outrageous. Tasers are used way too often.
                                "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Working...
                                X