The Police Brutality Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
    I have friends who have the nerve to compare this to the Boston tea party.

This is not the Boston tea party.

Know why this is not the Boston tea party?

Because the Boston tea party didn’t destroy the college football hall of fame, that’s why.
    LOL... It isn't that bad:

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      Murder in the third degree. From my non-lawyer reading, this sounds reasonable. Those who know say that if the state were to up the charge to either second or first degree the cop would have a good chance of walking.
      He might have a chance of walking on just murder 3... Good thing he is also charged with manslaughter:

Complaint: Autopsy reveals nothing to support strangulation as cause of George Floyd’s death
      [...]
      The papers also said that an autopsy revealed nothing to support strangulation as the cause of death. The exam concluded that the combined effects of being restrained, potential intoxicants in Floyd’s system and his underlying health issues, including heart disease, likely contributed to his death.
      [...]
      https://www.news4jax.com/news/nation...-floyds-death/

I had a feeling that he actually died of Covid-19. I predict we will have more protests that are "not, generally speaking , unruly".
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• That time the Dallas PD killed Tony (and tried to cover it up)... Seems similar to George Floyd's death.

But for the first time, an employee in the medical examiner's office told her the ruling on her son's [Tony's] cause of death: Homicide. Sudden cardiac death, due to the toxic effects of cocaine and the stress associated with physical restraint.

Vicki Timpa learned something else from that conversation, according to court filings: A police officer used his knee on her son's back to pin him to the ground for more than 13 minutes.
        https://www.dallasnews.com/news/inve...to-tony-timpa/

The difference is that the Dallas police officers are not racist. They will kill anyone no matter the color of their skin.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Please social distance and wear masks while you are out looting and burning buildings.

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            Please social distance and wear masks while you are out looting and burning buildings.

I changed my mind. Burn it all down. Let’s just start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• The "protesters" in Dallas are better organized... they even bring their own bricks!

We know how to protest in Dallas!
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                Please social distance and wear masks while you are out looting and burning buildings.

Face coverings are part of the required uniform:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/29/s...a-fashion.html
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  He might have a chance of walking on just murder 3... Good thing he is also charged with manslaughter:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/nation...-floyds-death/

I had a feeling that he actually died of Covid-19. I predict we will have more protests that are "not, generally speaking , unruly".
                  From what I understand, this is a press report from the autopsy. The final report hasn't been released yet. Which would make sense since the phrase 'potential intoxicants' sounds ridiculous in a final report.

Nevertheless, even if the final report reads something like that, it's meaningless. The typical findings of strangulation/asphyxiation are not always seen at autopsy. And we all saw how he died. He stopped breathing while the cop's knee was on his neck. No matter what ailments Floyd had, the cop caused his death.

I'm going to go crazy if this turns into the inane argument that we saw with COVID-19; dying 'from' the virus instead of 'with' the virus
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    LOL... It isn't that bad:

Mostly good people, am I right?

Comment

• A few sweeping generalizations that are pertinent to this situation:

The Internet has not been good for democracy.

Social media has been a disaster for democracy.

Social media is wielding a ton of power with little/no accountability. It's become a parallel "accountability system" of its own, beyond the Puritans' wildest dreams.

Our media (social and otherwise) sucks--not in the way Trump thinks it does--but the media is currently damaging democracy.

Hate of "the other" is not something we can fix; it's probably innate. Our best shot at limiting it is to have accountable institutions and a population that is invested in their veracity. In short, we need to realize the limits of human nature and advancement and account for them in a way that promotes everyone's welfare.

Our elected representatives who could do something about the above are bought and paid for and/or are captives to ideological extremists.
                      Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 05-31-2020, 06:56 AM.
                      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                        I'm not sure what Ted means by antifa. That's a picture of protestors most of whom are black. I'm probably the only person on here who has had conversations with people who have engaged in "antifa" type stuff (by that I mean protests for labor rights, LGBT rights etc.). No one even heard that term before Charlottesville when the right had to deflect from their inability to hold their ugly elements accountable.

Ted, let me know when you actually care about constitutional freedoms, until it's safe to assume you are just traveling along the libertarian to altright pipeline at record speed.
                        Only you would equate antifa with "protests for labor and LGBT rights". So benign and benevolent, just out there protesting for the rights of the downtrodden, those antifa.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                          A few sweeping generalizations that are pertinent to this situation:

Social media is wielding a ton of power with little/no accountability. It's become a parallel "accountability system" of its own, beyond the Puritan's wildest dreams.

Our media (social and otherwise) suck--not in the way Trump thinks it does--but the media is currently damaging democracy.

Hate of "the other" is not something we can fix; it's probably innate. Our best shot at limiting it is to have accountable institutions and a population that is invested in their veracity. In short, we need to realize the limits of human nature and advancement and account for them in a way that promotes everyone's welfare.

Our elective representatives who could do something about the above are bought and paid for and/or are captives to ideological extremists.
                          Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                            Only you would equate antifa with "protests for labor and LGBT rights". So benign and benevolent, just out there protesting for the rights of the downtrodden, those antifa.
                            you are dramatically overestimating the prevalence of antifa
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Social media is wielding a ton of power with little/no accountability. It's become a parallel "accountability system" of its own, beyond the Puritan's wildest dreams.

Our media (social and otherwise) suck--not in the way Trump thinks it does--but the media is currently damaging democracy.

Our elective representatives who could do something about the above are bought and paid for and/or are captives to ideological extremists.
                              Well said, as always.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                                SU

Comment

Working...
                                X