Tour of Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Here's a screen shot just before he bites it. I'm not sure what the talking heads would be referring to when they mention a marker, but I see no evidence of that. It looks like he gets a little too into the soft stuff and when he tries to correct out of it, washes out his front wheel, torquing it 90 degrees. And therefore launching him into the Superman.

[ATTACH]4672[/ATTACH]
    Back up your screen shot another half second.

I have no idea what causes the crash - but there is definitely a tall pole that reaches to the handlebars and reacts to him hitting it. It looks like one of those road or trail markers that is flat brown plastic and faces perpendicular to the road, so as the car approaches it, it actually gets more difficult to see. It disappears right before he hits it, but you see it easily when he is a couple of feet from reaching it.
    Last edited by Eddie; 08-11-2014, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Here's a screen shot just before he bites it. I'm not sure what the talking heads would be referring to when they mention a marker, but I see no evidence of that. It looks like he gets a little too into the soft stuff and when he tries to correct out of it, washes out his front wheel, torquing it 90 degrees. And therefore launching him into the Superman.
      Stop the video right as it changes from 13 to 14 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        Back up your screen shot another half second.

I have no idea what causes the crash - but there is definitely a tall pole that reaches to the handlebars and reacts to him hitting it. It looks like one of those road or trail markers that is flat brown plastic and faces perpendicular to the road, so as the car approaches it, it actually gets more difficult to see. It disappears right before he hits it, but you see it easily when he is a couple of feet from reaching it.
        Okay. I caught it at that point. Whatever "it" is.
        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Okay. I caught it at that point. Whatever "it" is.
          It is a delineator. either that or a mile marker.

Comment

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour...-for-2015-race

Comment

I just signed up to volunteer as a course marshal for the day that this thing is in Davis County (Antelope Island to Bountiful).

I don't know about the other days, but it appears like they're still looking for 300+ marshals for that day. Lots of in-town routes, so I assume they need a bunch of people watching intersections and even driveways. Kind of fun watching these guys ride some of the same routes and hills that I've been up. I would LOVE to see them go up 400 N in Bountiful. And I'm sure I'd be at least as impressed watching them come down the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                I just signed up to volunteer as a course marshal for the day that this thing is in Davis County (Antelope Island to Bountiful).

I don't know about the other days, but it appears like they're still looking for 300+ marshals for that day. Lots of in-town routes, so I assume they need a bunch of people watching intersections and even driveways. Kind of fun watching these guys ride some of the same routes and hills that I've been up. I would LOVE to see them go up 400 N in Bountiful. And I'm sure I'd be at least as impressed watching them come down the other side.
                I have volunteered a number of times for the Tour of California. I have enjoyed it every time. I always meet some nice people, get some decent freebies, sometimes rub shoulders with competitors and leave with a t-shirt. I am easily pleased.

Please post a report/recap of your experience!
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  I have volunteered a number of times for the Tour of California. I have enjoyed it every time. I always meet some nice people, get some decent freebies, sometimes rub shoulders with competitors and leave with a t-shirt. I am easily pleased.

Please post a report/recap of your experience!
                  Will do. My buddy has been a week-long volunteer for the past 3-4 years. The first year they just volunteered and got chauffeured around the state, staying in local hotels, meals paid for, and then most afternoons free to sight-see in the area. Last year they were paid on top of that. The riders joke with them some, throw empty bottles at them, etc. At the end of each day he and the other marshals all get together, pile all of the water bottles, musset bags, etc., they've collected together, and then divide up the swag. They asked him to help with California as well - offering to pay travel costs and $1,000 for the week, but he has limited time off and couldn't do it.

Comment

I was in Park City Sunday and was at the finish line on Main Street. I didn't think I'd like it, but I was surprised...fun, exciting atmosphere. I would recommend attending next year, whether you're a cycling enthusiast or not.
                    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

that crash was crazy. dude broadsided a Panamera!
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

My wife and I volunteered last Wednesday on the Antelope Island to Bountiful stage, as course marshals.

I took the day off work, and wandered over to the volunteer check in around 10:30am. We each got a goody bag that included a lovely t-shirt, trucker snap back cap, and a pair of cheap sunglasses. We also got a subway sandwich for lunch and a bottle of water. Now, if that doesn't make it worth the price of admission, I don't know what will!

We were assigned to an intersection at the bottom of the hill, right where the riders head up and around the temple. It happened to be only 3 blocks from our home, which was cool. We sat at home and watched the race online until around 1:10, and then walked to our assigned area. We met a local cop there, who helped us close the intersection with barriers and basically told us to just tell people to stay out of the road - and if anyone wanted to hassle us he would take care of it.

It was fun to see all of the people start to gather at the road. There was a group of about 20-25 kids that looked like they must've been from a local day care that the teachers had all lined up sitting on the curb to watch. They had signs they'd made at the daycare and were having a great time cheering.

For the most part our only role was to watch vehicles in driveways to make sure they didn't back out, and then stop folks at the intersection where we were assigned. That said - there wasn't much that happened and only a couple of vehicles needed to be turned away. Of course, there were also the folks who had no idea what was going on and stopped to ask us why the road was closed (never mind the 100's of signs on the road telling them why, or the other signs posted for 3 days stating no parking on the street because of the race, or the fact that the mayor did a robo-call to all of the Bountiful City residents the day before. Where have you been, people!!!)

Because of where we were located, we got to see the riders go by twice - as they did a 9 mile loop up 400 N to Bountiful Blvd to Indian Hills, then down to Main St and back up again. There were a few cyclists who showed up before the racers - mostly overweight dudes decked out in race team regalia that my wife was embarrassed for - who wanted to ride the KOM before the racers did.

As the race approached, they were led by a vehicle with a loudspeaker, letting everyone know how far back the racers were. Of course, the best indicator was actually watching the helicopter overhead - seeing the angle of the camera slung beneath it and estimating how far away they were from that.

As the racers came, there were basically two groups. The lead group - which seemed to have about a 90 second lead - and then the pelaton strung out behind them. As they approached for the second round, they were MUCH more spread out. There was one rider in the lead (I learned later that he had broken from the rest during the first climb) followed by probably 8-10 different groups of riders. While they had been relatively close together during their first loop, they were MUCH more strung out at this second lap - with there being several minutes between the first rider and the last. As the groups of riders passed, several tossed expended water bottles to the group of kids from the day care - to loud squeals of delight. One rider tossed an empty my way - but I was able to contain my excitement and it was more of a quiet squeak than a squeal.

After they had all passed, we walked down to the finish line. We were too late to see the winners, but there were several groups that came in while we were there. It was fun to see the riders just peel off at the end and ride through the neighborhood back to their team vehicles. I can't think of any other sport where the athletes are this available and accessible to fans.

I checked my watch while watching the groups pulling in, and I think it might've been 2:30 or 3:00? Anyway - all told our commitment to the event was less than 2 hours.

Definitely a fun experience that I would do again.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          that crash was crazy. dude broadsided a Panamera!
                          I hope the mom driving the car was okay.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            I hope the mom driving the car was okay.
                            mostly concerned with the car itself. very irresponsible!
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Hadn't seen this view, nor the following two crashes, until today.

https://youtu.be/hRM3bFXlyNk

Comment

I watched this one yesterday. Brutal. I almost think it saved him from careening off the mountainside, though.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X