Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tour of Utah

Default Tour of Utah

Starts Aug 9th. Looks like a solid field is coming once again. Chris Horner won't be riding as he had previously planned, possibly related to his recent Tour crash.

Here is the team line-up that was recently announced.

Cardiac's buddy Jeff Louder making a repeat appearance for Team BMC.

Golf & Cubs Disrespecter beelzebabette's Avatar

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard the preliminary start list was out yet. I'm so ridiculously excited, particularly with the teams RadioShack, HTC Highroad & Garmin-Cervelo are bringing that I'm not even disappointed Horner is unable to ride. Rory Sutherland did a good job of animating the race last year, but I'm hoping Mancebo will be able to do even more of that than he did last year with a stronger team.

I've already studied the course list when the Tour programs came out and requested two days off work. (I like the idea of swapping the criterium & prologue time trial between Park City & downtown Salt Lake every other year, but why is the prologue time trial moved to late afternoon this year? That's my only complaint though.) Very excited this is less than two weeks away.

Did I mention I'm giddy?

I just found out that Thursday's Stage 2 will end right next door to where I work. Guess I'll have to bust out the camera and see what kind of pics I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    I just found out that Thursday's Stage 2 will end right next door to where I work. Guess I'll have to bust out the camera and see what kind of pics I can get.
    See you there!

Oh, I also want to add how great it is that they added a TourofUtah app (available both on iPhone & Android) to watch live or follow news feed updates in addition to normal website info like standings, etc.

Very impressed with the Tour organization thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebabette View Post
    Oh, I also want to add how great it is that they added a TourofUtah app (available both on iPhone & Android) to watch live or follow news feed updates in addition to normal website info like standings, etc.

Very impressed with the Tour organization thus far.
    Really? They claimed to have a live feed on the website, and even have a link, but my browser just says it can't find the server ec2.tourofutah.com. Are you or anyone else able to get anything?

Really? They claimed to have a live feed on the website, and even have a link, but my browser just says it can't find the server ec2.tourofutah.com. Are you or anyone else able to get anything?
    I watched portions of the prologue on my phone. Our network guys are always bitching about bandwidth so I didn't even try to pull up a live stream on my computer. I'm guessing if you click on the "TourTracker by Adobe" that's what will give you the streaming option as that's the feed on my phone.

I watched portions of the prologue on my phone. Our network guys are always bitching about bandwidth so I didn't even try to pull up a live stream on my computer. I'm guessing if you click on the "TourTracker by Adobe" that's what will give you the streaming option as that's the feed on my phone.
    Were you getting a live video feed? I got nothing at work, so I left a little early and was able to get the web page with text updates to come up on my home computer, but no video. Prologue was already over, I guess. I don't think it's blocked at work, so it's strange that I got nothing there.

I watched it at work the entire time (well, I at least had it up on one of my monitors). It had streaming audio with video just like you were watching it on TV. Good quality too.

Quote Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post
    I watched it at work the entire time (well, I at least had it up on one of my monitors). It had streaming audio with video just like you were watching it on TV. Good quality too.
    I still can't get it from work. Does anybody have an ip address for ec2.tourofutah.com? Try pinging it and see what you get?

I watched KJZZ's hour-long prologue show last night, and it was a little pathetic. They broadcast it in 4:3 instead of 16:9 format, but the camera shots from the start house area were obviously shot in widescreen and condensed to fit the old aspect ratio. It made everybody look like long skinny aliens until they got out onto the road and switched to other cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Starts Aug 9th. Looks like a solid field is coming once again. Chris Horner won't be riding as he had previously planned, possibly related to his recent Tour crash.

Here is the team line-up that was recently announced.

Cardiac's buddy Jeff Louder making a repeat appearance for Team BMC.
    This must be Intermountain's (formerly) Jeff Louder? If so, guy gets around and stays busy. I just met him a couple weeks ago for the the first time and it seems like he was telling me about some other big ride he was doing.

Hmmm.... My computer said it had an important update and needed to reboot, and after doing so, I'm now able to connect to the live tracker feed and see everything from work. Why does that happen so often with windows?

The riders closed really fast at the final sprint. It was like a bunch of guys on silent ninja motorcycles. Incredibly fast. And I messed up getting a movie of the whole thing. Bummer. But I did get pics of Levi Leipheimer and George Hincapie coming back the other way a few minutes after the finish.

I watched KJZZ's hour-long prologue show last night, and it was a little pathetic. They broadcast it in 4:3 instead of 16:9 format, but the camera shots from the start house area were obviously shot in widescreen and condensed to fit the old aspect ratio. It made everybody look like long skinny aliens until they got out onto the road and switched to other cameras.
    It was pathetic, but I'll take pathetic coverage over no coverage.

We hung out at the KOM Wednesday (then caught the finish after the last of the riders had passed). I couldn't get solid network coverage at the top of the pass and had exhausted all cell battery power a few hours in so we didn't know the breakaway had been reabsorbed during the second lap until I saw a solo green jersey (Anthony) climbing up to the top of the pass. I'd barely had a chance to comment on the breakaway apparently being reabsorbed (I'd expected to see a tired Bertogliati chasing more points) when we saw two RadioShack jerseys fly around the corner with the two Columbians. It still floors me how easily some of these guys climb. (The first climb I was laughing as the peleton passed with Bennett panting at the front keeping the pace high while Hincapie's 2/3 of the way back having a leisurely conversation with another rider like he's on a cool-down ride.) Very unexpected development which made for a fun finish even without a bunch sprint.

Thursday was a lot of fun as well. I ran into a couple of the Kelly Benefits support guys eating lunch at the same restaurant as our group and chatted with them for just a minute as we were leaving congratulating them on Anthony's win. Being a cycling novice, it's cool to see the real team approach to every race, every win.

Lots of fun. I'm so thrilled now the Larry H Miller group took over title sponsorship of this race because it's been great to see how quickly it's grown into something great with more resources.

Headed up to Brian Head to see the start of the first stage today. Then back down to Cedar City to watch the finish--I guess they're making three laps around downtown, which should be a cool way to see some riders. I posted in the weekend ride thread that this stage follows a bunch of the same ride I just did, so it should be humbling.

I'm excited--I've never watched a race up close before. Any tips?

It says we can get autographs too! Who should I go for? What do cyclists sign?
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    What do cyclists sign?
    I bet they'd sign anything given they probably don't often get offers. Try and see if they'll sign your lower-lower back
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Starting a stage in Wyoming... There's no place bad enough in Utah to start a stage so we had to go to the ugly stepsister? Ugh. I suppose it's cool they're touring the whole state, but I miss taking a couple of days off work so I could catch the whole race.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Starting a stage in Wyoming... There's no place bad enough in Utah to start a stage so we had to go to the ugly stepsister? Ugh. I suppose it's cool they're touring the whole state, but I miss taking a couple of days off work so I could catch the whole race.
    I just noticed this and was pleasantly surprised to see a BBB appearance.

Just watched the peloton race by my neighborhood. Cadel Evans was in there somewhere. There were probably a few other notables, but I don't follow cycling closely enough to know. I've ridden this loop they're riding today, minus the 40 mile mammoth creek section. It's a crazy climb up to Brian Head--I wish I could have watched that part. We'll head back downtown to watch the finish--that was really fun last year.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

The app has a live stream, which is nice for those outside of Utah.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Nasty crash on yesterday's stage

https://vine.co/v/MVnjqezZm95

That was crazy. Can't tell what caused it exactly. He was wobbling, but then out of nowhere he flipped like Indiana Jones jammed a stick in his spokes.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Nasty crash on yesterday's stage

https://vine.co/v/MVnjqezZm95
    Wow! It's almost like he hit a dead deer or something on the shoulder. He wobbled as he saw it at the last minute and then it threw him over the top. Scary.
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    That was crazy. Can't tell what caused it exactly. He was wobbling, but then out of nowhere he flipped like Indiana Jones jammed a stick in his spokes.
    It was probably the Italians. They usually use a frame pump.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Better video of it:

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    It looks like he wobbles and then catches his wheel sideways in a crack. I shouldn't watch stuff like this, I'm just starting to feel comfortable on my bike again.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    It was probably the Italians. They usually use a frame pump.
    Crash+002.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    It looks like he wobbles and then catches his wheel sideways in a crack.
    That's what it looked like to me. I've not yet caught a wheel in a crack, but they always make me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    Better video of it:

This video says he hit one of the markers on the road. If you watch closely, there is a stick or something standing straight up that he hits.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Here's a screen shot just before he bites it. I'm not sure what the talking heads would be referring to when they mention a marker, but I see no evidence of that. It looks like he gets a little too into the soft stuff and when he tries to correct out of it, washes out his front wheel, torquing it 90 degrees. And therefore launching him into the Superman.

Bike crash.jpg