Tour of Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour of Utah

Starts Aug 9th. Looks like a solid field is coming once again. Chris Horner won't be riding as he had previously planned, possibly related to his recent Tour crash.

Here is the team line-up that was recently announced.

Cardiac's buddy Jeff Louder making a repeat appearance for Team BMC.

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard the preliminary start list was out yet. I'm so ridiculously excited, particularly with the teams RadioShack, HTC Highroad & Garmin-Cervelo are bringing that I'm not even disappointed Horner is unable to ride. Rory Sutherland did a good job of animating the race last year, but I'm hoping Mancebo will be able to do even more of that than he did last year with a stronger team.

I've already studied the course list when the Tour programs came out and requested two days off work. (I like the idea of swapping the criterium & prologue time trial between Park City & downtown Salt Lake every other year, but why is the prologue time trial moved to late afternoon this year? That's my only complaint though.) Very excited this is less than two weeks away.

Did I mention I'm giddy?

Comment

I just found out that Thursday's Stage 2 will end right next door to where I work. Guess I'll have to bust out the camera and see what kind of pics I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
        I just found out that Thursday's Stage 2 will end right next door to where I work. Guess I'll have to bust out the camera and see what kind of pics I can get.
        See you there!

Comment

Oh, I also want to add how great it is that they added a TourofUtah app (available both on iPhone & Android) to watch live or follow news feed updates in addition to normal website info like standings, etc.

Very impressed with the Tour organization thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
            Oh, I also want to add how great it is that they added a TourofUtah app (available both on iPhone & Android) to watch live or follow news feed updates in addition to normal website info like standings, etc.

Very impressed with the Tour organization thus far.
            Really? They claimed to have a live feed on the website, and even have a link, but my browser just says it can't find the server ec2.tourofutah.com. Are you or anyone else able to get anything?

Comment

Really? They claimed to have a live feed on the website, and even have a link, but my browser just says it can't find the server ec2.tourofutah.com. Are you or anyone else able to get anything?
              I watched portions of the prologue on my phone. Our network guys are always bitching about bandwidth so I didn't even try to pull up a live stream on my computer. I'm guessing if you click on the "TourTracker by Adobe" that's what will give you the streaming option as that's the feed on my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
                I watched portions of the prologue on my phone. Our network guys are always bitching about bandwidth so I didn't even try to pull up a live stream on my computer. I'm guessing if you click on the "TourTracker by Adobe" that's what will give you the streaming option as that's the feed on my phone.
                Were you getting a live video feed? I got nothing at work, so I left a little early and was able to get the web page with text updates to come up on my home computer, but no video. Prologue was already over, I guess. I don't think it's blocked at work, so it's strange that I got nothing there.

Comment

I watched it at work the entire time (well, I at least had it up on one of my monitors). It had streaming audio with video just like you were watching it on TV. Good quality too.

Comment

Originally posted by dhendriksen View Post
                    I watched it at work the entire time (well, I at least had it up on one of my monitors). It had streaming audio with video just like you were watching it on TV. Good quality too.
                    I still can't get it from work. Does anybody have an ip address for ec2.tourofutah.com? Try pinging it and see what you get?

I watched KJZZ's hour-long prologue show last night, and it was a little pathetic. They broadcast it in 4:3 instead of 16:9 format, but the camera shots from the start house area were obviously shot in widescreen and condensed to fit the old aspect ratio. It made everybody look like long skinny aliens until they got out onto the road and switched to other cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                      Starts Aug 9th. Looks like a solid field is coming once again. Chris Horner won't be riding as he had previously planned, possibly related to his recent Tour crash.

Here is the team line-up that was recently announced.

Cardiac's buddy Jeff Louder making a repeat appearance for Team BMC.
                      This must be Intermountain's (formerly) Jeff Louder? If so, guy gets around and stays busy. I just met him a couple weeks ago for the the first time and it seems like he was telling me about some other big ride he was doing.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Hmmm.... My computer said it had an important update and needed to reboot, and after doing so, I'm now able to connect to the live tracker feed and see everything from work. Why does that happen so often with windows?

Comment

The riders closed really fast at the final sprint. It was like a bunch of guys on silent ninja motorcycles. Incredibly fast. And I messed up getting a movie of the whole thing. Bummer. But I did get pics of Levi Leipheimer and George Hincapie coming back the other way a few minutes after the finish.

Comment

I watched KJZZ's hour-long prologue show last night, and it was a little pathetic. They broadcast it in 4:3 instead of 16:9 format, but the camera shots from the start house area were obviously shot in widescreen and condensed to fit the old aspect ratio. It made everybody look like long skinny aliens until they got out onto the road and switched to other cameras.
                            It was pathetic, but I'll take pathetic coverage over no coverage.

We hung out at the KOM Wednesday (then caught the finish after the last of the riders had passed). I couldn't get solid network coverage at the top of the pass and had exhausted all cell battery power a few hours in so we didn't know the breakaway had been reabsorbed during the second lap until I saw a solo green jersey (Anthony) climbing up to the top of the pass. I'd barely had a chance to comment on the breakaway apparently being reabsorbed (I'd expected to see a tired Bertogliati chasing more points) when we saw two RadioShack jerseys fly around the corner with the two Columbians. It still floors me how easily some of these guys climb. (The first climb I was laughing as the peleton passed with Bennett panting at the front keeping the pace high while Hincapie's 2/3 of the way back having a leisurely conversation with another rider like he's on a cool-down ride.) Very unexpected development which made for a fun finish even without a bunch sprint.

Thursday was a lot of fun as well. I ran into a couple of the Kelly Benefits support guys eating lunch at the same restaurant as our group and chatted with them for just a minute as we were leaving congratulating them on Anthony's win. Being a cycling novice, it's cool to see the real team approach to every race, every win.

Lots of fun. I'm so thrilled now the Larry H Miller group took over title sponsorship of this race because it's been great to see how quickly it's grown into something great with more resources.

Comment

Headed up to Brian Head to see the start of the first stage today. Then back down to Cedar City to watch the finish--I guess they're making three laps around downtown, which should be a cool way to see some riders. I posted in the weekend ride thread that this stage follows a bunch of the same ride I just did, so it should be humbling.

I'm excited--I've never watched a race up close before. Any tips?

It says we can get autographs too! Who should I go for? What do cyclists sign?
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                              X