No announcement yet.

The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And for lunch today I took some of the scraps left over from carving the brisket and heated them up on the stovetop with some bacon grease and Jack Stack sauce. Made for a good sandwich.

IMG_20130609_123547.jpg
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Looks awesome kc.

BTW, pure geniuses move at 6am. The cool of the morning, no one is doing anything so people are available to help.
      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Man, that is why I want a smoker. I can still remember these burnt ends that I had in a place in Kansas City. I can't get them out of my head. That looks awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• KC, that is not bad for your first attempt. Way better than my first try. Yes, I think 6.5 hrs in hold mode is too long. My 4 am start time is generally geared for eating at around 1-4 pm. My brisket hit the final temp at about 11 am also, but we ate it at 3:30 pm.

Also, I seem to have worse results when I pull the point off for burnt ends. If I leave it all together until I cut and serve, it tends to be more moist overall and the best part of the brisket is the portion of the flat that is adjacent to the point. I know a lot of people do burnt ends, so it might be coincidence or it might be an artifact of this particular recipe. Just something to keep in mind. EDIT: You pulled the point off quite late in the process, so that might not have been the issue. Most likely just the extra long wait.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            KC, that is not bad for your first attempt. Way better than my first try. Yes, I think 6.5 hrs in hold mode is too long. My 4 am start time is generally geared for eating at around 1-4 pm. My brisket hit the final temp at about 11 am also, but we ate it at 3:30 pm.
            I won't knock your write-up because I loved having it to follow and I think we ought to do the same summary on the first page of each food thread, but looks like you need to edit your brisket write up (it says 5-6 pm)!
            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• That looks great KC! Much better than my first attempt at brisket.
              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                I won't knock your write-up because I loved having it to follow and I think we ought to do the same summary on the first page of each food thread, but looks like you need to edit your brisket write up (it says 5-6 pm)!
                Fixed.

Still seems a little odd to me that your brisket would be that dry. With the long hold time, I would expect it to get super tender, but why dry out? Did you have it tightly sealed in foil? When you removed the point, was there still liquid in the foil?
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• There is nothing sacred about my technique documented in the OP, other than it seems to produce consistent results for me. If any of you have methods that get good results, I would be happy to add to the OP. I think it is nice for newbies to have established methods in the OP so that they don't have to hunt through hundreds of posts.

DT: Do you want to document your quick cook method (or another) for me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                    That looks great KC! Much better than my first attempt at brisket.
                    You should have seen my first brisket years ago in my electric smoker. It was so bad I had to throw it away. I swore I would never waste the time or money again.
                    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 06-10-2013, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Fixed.

Still seems a little odd to me that your brisket would be that dry. With the long hold time, I would expect it to get super tender, but why dry out? Did you have it tightly sealed in foil? When you removed the point, was there still liquid in the foil?
                      I wondered about this as well. I had a lot of liquid in the shallow pan I put the brisket in while in the oven, but when I opened it up to separate the point it was still practically swimming in juices. Crap - as I write this I remember that after separating I simply wrapped the flat in foil and put back in the oven without the drippings. So it went the last 2 hours with no liquid in the foil.

Comment

There is nothing sacred about my technique documented in the OP, other than it seems to produce consistent results for me. If any of you have methods that get good results, I would be happy to add to the OP. I think it is nice for newbies to have established methods in the OP so that they don't have to hunt through hundreds of posts.
                        Agreed. The summaries at the beginning of the threads are great when you are trying out a new meat/dish.

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                          I wondered about this as well. I had a lot of liquid in the shallow pan I put the brisket in while in the oven, but when I opened it up to separate the point it was still practically swimming in juices. Crap - as I write this I remember that after separating I simply wrapped the flat in foil and put back in the oven without the drippings. So it went the last 2 hours with no liquid in the foil.
                          Aha... Mystery solved.

Comment

• So I certainly need to try again - I think I'll go the Wal-mart route this time. I'm not paying $81 for a brisket again until I've got it all figured out.

Comment

DT: Do you want to document your quick cook method (or another) for me?
                              If I get a chance this afternoon, I will try to get it down for you.
                              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                                If I get a chance this afternoon, I will try to get it down for you.
                                still waiting...
                                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Working...
                                X