No announcement yet.

The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blurry - Snider's has prime and wagyu brisket, but it is pricey. I'm tempted to try the prime. My local Wal-mart has brisket for $2.58/lb.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Here is some inspiration for you, KC. This is from the Pecan Lodge in Dallas.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Here is some inspiration for you, KC. This is from the Pecan Lodge in Dallas.

That looks so tasty. I'm not expecting those kinds of results.
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
          I have two sources now that are consistent for good sized pckers:

1. Don's Meats in Davis county. This is the guy that CJF uses and referred me to. Excellent stuff.
          2. When I can't make the drive up to Davis County, Sam's Club seems to have good packers.

I don't waste my time with the mini-packers at Costco. In my experience, the bigger the better for a better final result.

Now, if cowboy can hook us up with a big group buy I'm all over that.
          Speaking of which, when are you ever going to post some pics of that FM brisket you are always bragging about?
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Speaking of which, when are you ever going to post some pics of that FM brisket you are always bragging about?
            Pics or it didnt happen!
            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Franklin's in Austin was ranked #1 in Texas (and therefore the world).
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                Trying it might hasten your death. But it looks like it's worth it.
                Take your healthy eating talk and GTFO of our brisket thread!

Comment

• That's a heck of a crust and a nice ring on that one.

Comment

Take your healthy eating talk and GTFO of our brisket thread!
                    I've talked of lots of things - healthy eating is certainly not among them. I was specifically talking about warranted unhealthy eating. Sorry for any confusion.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I'm sure I have somewhere ... maybe not in this thread. Next cook if I remember I'll put some here.
                      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• 13.5-lb prime brisket is in the oven now wrapped in foil. We're also making baked beans and mac&cheese for dinner tonight. Can't wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                          13.5-lb prime brisket is in the oven now wrapped in foil. We're also making baked beans and mac&cheese for dinner tonight. Can't wait.
                          I want pics!

(I am doing a brisket tomorrow)

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                            13.5-lb prime brisket is in the oven now wrapped in foil. We're also making baked beans and mac&cheese for dinner tonight. Can't wait.
                            Not doing it in the traeger?

Comment

I want pics!

(I am doing a brisket tomorrow)
                              Not bad I guess for a first attempt. Though the first lesson I've learned is not to waste money on buying a USDA Prime brisket since if it doesn't turn out just right you've pretty much wasted $50. I think I was too anxious about this cook, and I ended up with meat that was overdone.

I was following JL's guidelines in the first post here but thought since he mentioned an 8-10 lb packer and that mine was a 13.5-lb brisket, I ought to start mine a couple hours earlier. So I got up at 2:00am to put the meat on the smoker after rubbing it with Spade L Ranch and letting it sit in the fridge all day.

When I woke up at 6:00am to help a new neighbor move (who moves at 6:15?!?) the meat was up to 156 degrees, and it hit the 165 mark at 8:30. At that point, I took it off the smoker, wrapped it in foil with some apple juice, and moved it to the oven and continued to cook at 225 degrees. It hit 200 degrees at 11:00am and at that point, I let the heat out of the oven and reset the oven temp to 170 to hold until dinner.

The problem was that dinner wasn't scheduled until 6:00pm and we couldn't move it up (we had 17 guests coming). So it had to sit in the oven for 6.5 hours. I think it was just too long. So, the flavor was good, but I thought it was a little dry. I got plenty of compliments, but I've got nice neighbors. I served it with a variety of sauces, which helped. Oklahoma Joe's Night of the Living BBQ, Jack Stack, some Famous Daves, and a new one I grabbed off the shelf at Macey's only because it came from Garland, TX where I was born.

Oh, I also made burnt ends. About 2.5 hours before we were going to eat, I unwrapped the brisket and separated the point from the flat. I cubed it as best I could since the meat was so soft, added some drippings and some sauce, then put it back on the smoker, stirring it every 30 min or so. Best part of the meal.

IMG_20130607_105906.jpgIMG_20130607_113433.jpgIMG_20130608_083539.jpgIMG_20130608_180026.jpgIMG_20130608_180543.jpg

Comment

• IMG_20130608_181053.jpgIMG_20130608_182030.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X