The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
    I think I'm ready to give this a go. I'm most looking forward to making my own burnt ends - when do I cut the point? I'm looking at JL's guidelines and I wonder if I separate the point just before the FTC stage or back when I foil it to put it in the oven? What kind of sauces do you guys like on your brisket?
    The last time I did a brisket, I separated at the crutch. As far as sauces I like Rufus Teague for brisket. After trying chimichuri I prefer that over anything else.

We are having the missionaries and my mom, dad and uncle over for dinner tomorrow night. My wife wanted brisket and brought one home from the local butcher :rockon: turns out she got a flat. I am trying to figure out how long it is going to take. It is only 4.5 lbs. once I saw the size of it I went out and brought home some chicken quarters and breasts. Might whoop up some abts while I am at it.
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• I never separate the point from the flat until serving. The part of the flat under the point is the best (moist and tender). Costco packers usually have a small point.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I never separate the point from the flat until serving. The part of the flat under the point is the best (moist and tender). Costco packers usually have a small point.
        Do you buy choice packers? A small point may be a sign of less finish. Also, I'm surprised that they're that small. A well finished, choice packer should weigh at least ten pounds.
        sigpic
        "Outlined against a blue, gray
        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
          Do you buy choice packers? A small point may be a sign of less finish. Also, I'm surprised that they're that small. A well finished, choice packer should weigh at least ten pounds.
          That's why we need to find a good supplier. The local grocers that I've checked don't carry brisket, and Costco around here only sells them in the 7 lb range. I'd love to find some over 10 lbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
            The last time I did a brisket, I separated at the crutch. As far as sauces I like Rufus Teague for brisket. After trying chimichuri I prefer that over anything else.

We are having the missionaries and my mom, dad and uncle over for dinner tomorrow night. My wife wanted brisket and brought one home from the local butcher :rockon: turns out she got a flat. I am trying to figure out how long it is going to take. It is only 4.5 lbs. once I saw the size of it I went out and brought home some chicken quarters and breasts. Might whoop up some abts while I am at it.
            The ABTs and the chicken were home runs. The brisket was dry. Everyone raved about the taste and how tender it was but I was not too happy with it being dry. The chimichurri was the talk of the dinner table. One of the missionaries put the stuff on dutch oven potatoes that my lovely wife made. For all my worry about it not taking as long, the damn thing ended taking for ever! I had to increasea the temp to 300 just to get it to temp in time. Oh well. The lesson learned? My wife will not buy a flat again. I gave my pops a heads up about the flat and after saying the pray he immediately asked, "Where are my burnt ends? Did you forget them on the smoker?" It was classic.
            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

After trying chimichuri I prefer that over anything else.
              :rockon:

I prefer it over any BBQ sauce on brisket. I like how it makes my stomach feel.
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

The ABTs and the chicken were home runs. The brisket was dry. Everyone raved about the taste and how tender it was but I was not too happy with it being dry. The chimichurri was the talk of the dinner table. One of the missionaries put the stuff on dutch oven potatoes that my lovely wife made. For all my worry about it not taking as long, the damn thing ended taking for ever! I had to increasea the temp to 300 just to get it to temp in time. Oh well. The lesson learned? My wife will not buy a flat again. I gave my pops a heads up about the flat and after saying the pray he immediately asked, "Where are my burnt ends? Did you forget them on the smoker?" It was classic.
                That has been my experience with flats. Don't waste your time with them. Get a packer and try to get one with uniform thickness and nicely marbled meat.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                  Costco carries a lot of flats in the 4-5 lb range. I avoid these. I can often find packers in the 8-9 lb range. On a very rare occasion I will find one at 10 lbs.

Help us cowboy. You are our only hope.

Comment

• Okay, Saturday is the day for my first run at brisket. We've got new neighbors moving in next door and we told them we'd provide dinner for them that evening. The trick is that they've got 10 kids (6 adopted). From some of my reading I got that you should count on about a pound per person uncooked weight. Does that sound about right? I'm cooking for 17, though most are kids. I figure one really large brisket, if I can find it, would suffice. I'll also be doing mac&cheese and baked beans.
                    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Okay, Saturday is the day for my first run at brisket. We've got new neighbors moving in next door and we told them we'd provide dinner for them that evening. The trick is that they've got 10 kids (6 adopted). From some of my reading I got that you should count on about a pound per person uncooked weight. Does that sound about right? I'm cooking for 17, though most are kids. I figure one really large brisket, if I can find it, would suffice. I'll also be doing mac&cheese and baked beans.
                      Schneider's should have one that will work.

Comment

Okay, Saturday is the day for my first run at brisket. We've got new neighbors moving in next door and we told them we'd provide dinner for them that evening. The trick is that they've got 10 kids (6 adopted). From some of my reading I got that you should count on about a pound per person uncooked weight. Does that sound about right? I'm cooking for 17, though most are kids. I figure one really large brisket, if I can find it, would suffice. I'll also be doing mac&cheese and baked beans.
                        Sounds like fun. For that many people you might want to go with two medium-sized briskets unless you can find a really big one. I have done two briskets before and it works fine.

Comment

Costco carries a lot of flats in the 4-5 lb range. I avoid these. I can often find packers in the 8-9 lb range. On a very rare occasion I will find one at 10 lbs.

Help us cowboy. You are our only hope.
                          I have two sources now that are consistent for good sized pckers:

1. Don's Meats in Davis county. This is the guy that CJF uses and referred me to. Excellent stuff.
                          2. When I can't make the drive up to Davis County, Sam's Club seems to have good packers.

I don't waste my time with the mini-packers at Costco. In my experience, the bigger the better for a better final result.

Now, if cowboy can hook us up with a big group buy I'm all over that.
                          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• Here is the list of the top 50 BBQ spots in Texas (Uncle Ted referenced this is another thread):

http://www.texasmonthly.com/eat-my-w...arbecue-joints

I plan on trying one or two of those Dallas joints in a couple of weeks.

Franklin's in Austin was ranked #1 in Texas (and therefore the world). Here is a great interview with Aaron Franklin.

http://www.tmbbq.com/interview-aaron...klin-barbecue/

A discussion there on how he wraps in butcher paper for his Texas Crutch stage, but it almost sounds as if he doesn't wrap until the brisket is done. Just for the FTC stage. DT, does that jibe with the research you have done? Did you ever get the butcher paper method to work well for you?

Bon Appetit recently named Franklin's as one of the 20 most important restaurants in the US.

http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2...nklin-barbecue

I need to try the "Tipsy Texan" sandwich from Franklin's before I die.

Comment

Here is the list of the top 50 BBQ spots in Texas (Uncle Ted referenced this is another thread):

Franklin's in Austin was ranked #1 in Texas (and therefore the world). Here is a great interview with Aaron Franklin.

A discussion there on how he wraps in butcher paper for his Texas Crutch stage, but it almost sounds as if he doesn't wrap until the brisket is done. Just for the FTC stage. DT, does that jibe with the research you have done? Did you ever get the butcher paper method to work well for you?

Bon Appetit recently named Franklin's as one of the 20 most important restaurants in the US.

Trying it might hasten your death. But it looks like it's worth it.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Here is the list of the top 50 BBQ spots in Texas (Uncle Ted referenced this is another thread):

Regarding franklin's, it is a bit of a contraversy. According to the article you listed, it indeed seems that he only wraps in butcher paper for the FTC. There are other articles where he states that he does not wrap at all, and articles where he says he wraps when the bark has reached the color he wants. So, there is a bit of confusion surrounding his methodology of cooking brisket. really, I think it just comes down to the individual brisket he is cooking. Every piece of meat cooks differently in some way or another. The last time I cooked a brisket, I used the hot and fast method and wrapped at about 160-165. That cook produced excellent results. I will cook my next brisket the exact same way as the last, so I can measure my results and make sure it wasnt a fluke.
                                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Working...
                                X