Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1114

Thread: The Official Brisket Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bestellen View Post
    I generally do the first four hours straight on the smoker to get a better smoke ring.
    Pics or it didn't happen, bestellen!
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

I'm cooking for forty people tomorrow, and I'm committed to following the Lebowski method 100% for the first time. I'm tired of getting inconsistent results.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

In the last month or so I've cooked for 40 plus people three times. I did briskets and chicken thighs. The chicken thighs I use DDD's method. Always turns out great. I think I've zeroed in on a really simple and tasty brisket. I get the prime briskets from Costco, I slather in a very thin layer of Better than Beef Bouillon and then put the rub on top of that. Lately because of time I've used Black Ops instead of just making my own. I smoke until 190 and then pull off and put in a deep roasting pan and cover. Put that in the oven at 170 for about 4 hours or so. About an hour before I want to eat, I pour about a cup of warm water on the brisket and recover and put back in the oven. After removing the brisket front the pan, I pour all the juice into one of those fat separating gizmos. I slice the brisket and then paint each slice with the separated juices. It has turned out great every time.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    one of those fat separating gizmos.
    ???

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    ???

image.jpg

OK, more likely something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip.../dp/B0002YTGIQ

Yes, that. I love that little kitchen tool.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Thank you. Just ordered it.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I do, too. I pour the drippings from my pork shoulders into the separator and use that as my finishing sauce. Similar to what you're doing here. It works great.

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I'm cooking for forty people tomorrow, and I'm committed to following the Lebowski method 100% for the first time. I'm tired of getting inconsistent results.
    You might look for a recipe book I've heard of:

τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Went well. Great smoke ring and flavor. Burnt ends were fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Went well. Great smoke ring and flavor. Burnt ends were fantastic.
    How does the Dude's methodology differ from what you've done in the past?

- Goatnapper'96

How does the Dude's methodology differ from what you've done in the past?

I usually leavet it on the smoke for longer before wrapping. I was convinced wrapping at 4-5 hours would leave it with no bark. I was wrong (even though it took a leap of faith when I wrapped and the bark was not very dark). Adding broth during the wrap. Again, I was convinced this was going to dilute the smoky flavor, and again I was wrong.

JL,

Do you leave the brisket covered or uncovered on the counter as you are letting it rest for 30-60 minutes?

Interested...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    JL,

Do you leave the brisket covered or uncovered on the counter as you are letting it rest for 30-60 minutes?

Interested...
    Before slicing? Either way. Uncovered will cool a little faster.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

JL,

Interested...
    I'm not JL, but I've always thought one of the purposes of resting was for the meat to reabsorb some of the juices, so I keep it wrapped. Maybe I'm wrong. At this point it doesn't matter, because I'm burned out and renting my trailer to a caterer for the summer. I'm sick of cooking.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    I'm not JL, but I've always thought one of the purposes of resting was for the meat to reabsorb some of the juices, so I keep it wrapped. Maybe I'm wrong. At this point it doesn't matter, because I'm burned out and renting my trailer to a caterer for the summer. I'm sick of cooking.
    We may have sold our trailer...

Between the economic downturn, me going back to school, and shoulder surgery for DT, we just didn't have the time for it anymore.

We may have sold our trailer...

Between the economic downturn, me going back to school, and shoulder surgery for DT, we just didn't have the time for it anymore.
    Did one more round of briskets before sending the smoker away. Friends asked me to cook for their son's graduation/mission farewell party today, and it gave me a chance to teach the new cooks how to run the smoker. "When you ride your last one, make sure it's your best one. Jump while she's moving, tip your hat boy, and walk away."

Grantland Rice, 1924

Sad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Sad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    Duuuuuude!
    Just to make myself clear, I'm not done smoking briskets; I'm just done smoking them for big groups. I still have a little homemade smoker that will do the job when I get the itch. Honestly, though, I've smoked enough that I don't really have any desire to smoke or eat bbq anytime in the near future.

Grantland Rice, 1924

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Just to make myself clear, I'm not done smoking briskets; I'm just done smoking them for big groups. I still have a little homemade smoker that will do the job when I get the itch. Honestly, though, I've smoked enough that I don't really have any desire to smoke or eat bbq anytime in the near future.
    It happens. I was in the same boat. I literally didn't touch the smoker for about a year. When a hobby becomes a job it sucks the fun out of it.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Any ideas on how to smoke more briskets at the same time without buying a bigger smoker? I've been asked to cook for a party that will be 350 adults. There will be pork and chicken also but they want me to do brisket. I've only cooked 3 at the same time before and frankly, it was the worst brisket I've ever done. Some of you are witnesses. Anyone ever try something like a rib rack but for briskets? I figure I'll need to do 9 16 pound briskets to feed .3 pounds of meat to 350 people. I just can't see how that would be possible with a normal pellet smoker.

Any ideas on how to smoke more briskets at the same time without buying a bigger smoker? I've been asked to cook for a party that will be 350 adults. There will be pork and chicken also but they want me to do brisket. I've only cooked 3 at the same time before and frankly, it was the worst brisket I've ever done. Some of you are witnesses. Anyone ever try something like a rib rack but for briskets? I figure I'll need to do 9 16 pound briskets to feed .3 pounds of meat to 350 people. I just can't see how that would be possible with a normal pellet smoker.
    You can borrow mine. When is the party?
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    You can borrow mine. When is the party?
    Thanks. Early August.

I'll be in town. I can smoke a couple and then foil them. Let me know.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    It happens. I was in the same boat. I literally didn't touch the smoker for about a year. When a hobby becomes a job it sucks the fun out of it.
    amen to that.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Anyone else doing brisket for the game this week? It's been a while for me - I'll have to refresh my memory on the appropriate steps.

- Goatnapper'96

Anyone else doing brisket for the game this week? It's been a while for me - I'll have to refresh my memory on the appropriate steps.

I think between us all, we should be bale to help. I'll start:

1. Select and kill cow.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I think between us all, we should be bale to help. I'll start:

1. Select and kill cow.
    That seems like two separate steps. (I'm helping)
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    That seems like two separate steps. (I'm helping)
    No wonder I'm tired. I did twice as much work as I planned.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.