Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Should have went with the Traeger.

jeff Lebowski! Come on, I've got your back brother!
    I want so badly to post that cheers smiley but I just can't bring myself to kick a fellow smoker after a failure.

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    Really, you are probabbly right, but the Traegers are with their new owners now.
    I can't believe you got rid of BOTH of them. You are supposed to be the guy with one of everything. The grand freaking master. What were you thinking?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

You're supposed to ask, "what were you smoking?"

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Ok. The point was delicious right off the smoker. I didnt taste the flat, I just wrapped it and threw it inthe cooler. The cubed point went back onto the smoker to become burnt ends.

after a couple hours, I pulled the burnt ends off the smoker. They taste ok, not great like when I first pulled it off the smoker. They leave a somewhat bitter aftertaste like rancid smoke.

The flat is an epic fail. It smells like stale smoke. It is pretty much ruined. I was going to foil when the internal temp was 160-165 but I got busy and thought it would be fine without foiling. I also dont think I had the top vent open enough and it trapped too much smoke and it became stale. I ended up having to leave the flat in the cooler longer than I wanted and I think that becasue the bark was too "done/burnt" it allowed the burnt taste to permeate throughout the flat. I am pretty disappointed in the results.

It was my first attempt at using the Egg to smoke anything and I have a few ideas as to where it went wrong.
        Interesting. I had this happen once but I think it was more the meat then the smoker. Do you usually close off the top vent? Mine is always wide open on the WSM.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Interesting. I had this happen once but I think it was more the meat then the smoker. Do you usually close off the top vent? Mine is always wide open on the WSM.
          I normally run top vent wide open, but on the Egg, the top vent is very big. I had to keep the bottom vent almost shut to keep the temps in the 225-250 range. I tried running the top vent open more, but them temps quickly climbed to 275+. I was using mesquite lump as it was all I had and that could have been part of the problem as well. I think the combo of lower vent alomst shut and top vent not open enough lead to stale smoke. Foiling the flat in the cooler allowed the burnt/rancid smoke flavor permeate the meat.

And JL, I will miss the Traegers for sure, but the sale allows me to pursue other interests right now...
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Alright, after the last brisket was a bust, I am giving it another go. I got a late start, so it will probabbly be dinner tomorrow. I am using the WSM this time and also using the Stoker automatic temperature controller. Hopefully this one turns out better than the last.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Boing!

You are the man, DT.

I am doing pulled pork today. Have been cooking since 1 am last night. Just about to do FTC and throw it in the cooler.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Brisket is coming along. The internal temp is up to 182. I figure another couple hours and it will be ready. I upped the temp on the WSM to 300 to help speed it along.

Since there was no way the brisket would be done in time for dinner, I subbed in a tri-tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

DT you need to open a restaurant
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                    DT you need to open a restaurant
                    Someday...

Comment

Here is the finished brisket. I chopped the point into cubes and sliced the flat. This has been my best attempt so far, but still not perfect. The bark is a little tough (maybe I need to foil) and the flat was not as juicy as I had hoped, but wasnt overly dry. The point was very juicy and yummy.

I am looking forward to tomorrows dinner. I may even fry up some with my eggs for breakfast (which is in 4.5 hours...I need to go to sleep).

(Not sure why pic seems dis-colored to me. Maybe poor lighting for the iphone camera?...)

Comment

(Not sure why pic seems dis-colored to me. Maybe poor lighting for the iphone camera?...)
                        Looks delicious to me! Fat steak and eggs for breakfast...yyyuuummmmmm!
                        I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

After smoking a nice pork loin yesterday, i decided to give brisket another try. I put it on about an hour ago and it will hopefully be done for a nice labor day dinner with friends.

I used Moliere's mustard suggestion, but plan to FTC it (worked wonders with the pork loin, which is a fairly lean cut). I also am spraying it with apple juice/olive oil mixture.

I am having some trouble getting the temp up to 225 (i usually have the opposite problem).
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I did a full packer for a party tonight. I was a little disappointed. It turned out too soft for my liking. Flavor was good but it was difficult to get a good slice without it falling apart. I had to make the slices thicker than I wanted. I think I may try the next brisket without foiling during the cook. Or maybe only foil the last hour or so. On the plus side, I have plenty of scraps that I will turn into enchiladas later this week.
                            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Just cut off the flat and ftc'd it. It was fork tender and at 188 degress. The knife cut through the meat like a hot knife in butter. Point still on heat (only at 176), but wrapped it in two layers of foik to try to keep moisture in.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

OK, I am going to dive in and try a brisket this weekend. Wish me luck. Will post pics.

Comment

Working...
                                X