Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Brisket Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Should have went with the Traeger.

jeff Lebowski! Come on, I've got your back brother!
    I want so badly to post that cheers smiley but I just can't bring myself to kick a fellow smoker after a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    Really, you are probabbly right, but the Traegers are with their new owners now.
    I can't believe you got rid of BOTH of them. You are supposed to be the guy with one of everything. The grand freaking master. What were you thinking?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

You're supposed to ask, "what were you smoking?"

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Ok. The point was delicious right off the smoker. I didnt taste the flat, I just wrapped it and threw it inthe cooler. The cubed point went back onto the smoker to become burnt ends.

after a couple hours, I pulled the burnt ends off the smoker. They taste ok, not great like when I first pulled it off the smoker. They leave a somewhat bitter aftertaste like rancid smoke.

The flat is an epic fail. It smells like stale smoke. It is pretty much ruined. I was going to foil when the internal temp was 160-165 but I got busy and thought it would be fine without foiling. I also dont think I had the top vent open enough and it trapped too much smoke and it became stale. I ended up having to leave the flat in the cooler longer than I wanted and I think that becasue the bark was too "done/burnt" it allowed the burnt taste to permeate throughout the flat. I am pretty disappointed in the results.

It was my first attempt at using the Egg to smoke anything and I have a few ideas as to where it went wrong.
    Interesting. I had this happen once but I think it was more the meat then the smoker. Do you usually close off the top vent? Mine is always wide open on the WSM.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Interesting. I had this happen once but I think it was more the meat then the smoker. Do you usually close off the top vent? Mine is always wide open on the WSM.
    I normally run top vent wide open, but on the Egg, the top vent is very big. I had to keep the bottom vent almost shut to keep the temps in the 225-250 range. I tried running the top vent open more, but them temps quickly climbed to 275+. I was using mesquite lump as it was all I had and that could have been part of the problem as well. I think the combo of lower vent alomst shut and top vent not open enough lead to stale smoke. Foiling the flat in the cooler allowed the burnt/rancid smoke flavor permeate the meat.

And JL, I will miss the Traegers for sure, but the sale allows me to pursue other interests right now...

Alright, after the last brisket was a bust, I am giving it another go. I got a late start, so it will probabbly be dinner tomorrow. I am using the WSM this time and also using the Stoker automatic temperature controller. Hopefully this one turns out better than the last.

Boing!

You are the man, DT.

I am doing pulled pork today. Have been cooking since 1 am last night. Just about to do FTC and throw it in the cooler.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Brisket is coming along. The internal temp is up to 182. I figure another couple hours and it will be ready. I upped the temp on the WSM to 300 to help speed it along.

Since there was no way the brisket would be done in time for dinner, I subbed in a tri-tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

DT you need to open a restaurant
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by camleish View Post
    DT you need to open a restaurant
    Someday...

Here is the finished brisket. I chopped the point into cubes and sliced the flat. This has been my best attempt so far, but still not perfect. The bark is a little tough (maybe I need to foil) and the flat was not as juicy as I had hoped, but wasnt overly dry. The point was very juicy and yummy.

I am looking forward to tomorrows dinner. I may even fry up some with my eggs for breakfast (which is in 4.5 hours...I need to go to sleep).

(Not sure why pic seems dis-colored to me. Maybe poor lighting for the iphone camera?...)

(Not sure why pic seems dis-colored to me. Maybe poor lighting for the iphone camera?...)
    Looks delicious to me! Fat steak and eggs for breakfast...yyyuuummmmmm!
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

After smoking a nice pork loin yesterday, i decided to give brisket another try. I put it on about an hour ago and it will hopefully be done for a nice labor day dinner with friends.

I used Moliere's mustard suggestion, but plan to FTC it (worked wonders with the pork loin, which is a fairly lean cut). I also am spraying it with apple juice/olive oil mixture.

I am having some trouble getting the temp up to 225 (i usually have the opposite problem).
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

I did a full packer for a party tonight. I was a little disappointed. It turned out too soft for my liking. Flavor was good but it was difficult to get a good slice without it falling apart. I had to make the slices thicker than I wanted. I think I may try the next brisket without foiling during the cook. Or maybe only foil the last hour or so. On the plus side, I have plenty of scraps that I will turn into enchiladas later this week.

Just cut off the flat and ftc'd it. It was fork tender and at 188 degress. The knife cut through the meat like a hot knife in butter. Point still on heat (only at 176), but wrapped it in two layers of foik to try to keep moisture in.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

OK, I am going to dive in and try a brisket this weekend. Wish me luck. Will post pics.

1. Choosing a brisket: Honestly I just be sure and go to a place that has quality meat. I've found Costco and HEB (local grocer) to have the best meat. Costco seems to sell whole packers in Texas but I've found many people on line that claim they only sell flats (long part of the brisket). I guess it just depends on where you are and obviously Costco sells whole briskets in Texas .

I also wait until there is a sale and buy 3 or 4 whole packers when they are about $1.29/lb as opposed to the typical $1.99/lb. That's a bit of savings when you are buying a 14 lb brisket. They freeze well for about 6 months and I'd recommend smoking at least two at a time since cooked brisket can also be frozen with no problem.
    What are the pros/cons of whole packers vs. flats? I have seen websites pushing both. How would your instructions change for a flat only?

Do you guys trim the point from the flat like this:

http://www.charcoalstore.com/kb/article.php?id=024

Or just everything together in one big piece?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I leave it in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    I leave it in one piece.
    That's what I am going to do.

I found an outstanding set of detailed instructions here:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html

That's what I am going to do.

I found an outstanding set of detailed instructions here:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html
    I used that very same article to prepare for my first brisket. Very helpful. I still go back and read it once in a while.

I use this site for a casual reading often. Lots of good info there for lots of different BBQ. They really know their meat.
    Last edited by CJF; 12-08-2011 at 07:16 PM.

What are the pros/cons of whole packers vs. flats? I have seen websites pushing both. How would your instructions change for a flat only?
    I didn't see this. I've done both and really, the main difference was cooking time. I trimmed, rubbed, and cooked the exact same way. The only difference for me was time.

I am having a heck of a time finding a decent size brisket. Costco, Harmons, Maceys all sell flats only, and the biggest one I could find was 4.5 lbs. Most were 3-4 lbs. Will keep searching tomorrow. Costco guy says that none of the Utah Costco stores sell packers anymore. Just flats.

I am having a heck of a time finding a decent size brisket. Costco, Harmons, Maceys all sell flats only, and the biggest one I could find was 4.5 lbs. Most were 3-4 lbs. Will keep searching tomorrow. Costco guy says that none of the Utah Costco stores sell packers anymore. Just flats.
    Find a butcher. I use Don's Meat in Clearfield. I'm sure there are several good butchers in the UC.

I used that very same article to prepare for my first brisket. Very helpful. I still go back and read it once in a while.

I use this site for a casual reading often. Lots of good info there for lots of different BBQ. They really know their meat.
    Another excellent link. Thanks.

Find a butcher. I use Don's Meat in Clearfield. I'm sure there are several good butchers in the UC.
    Calling Springville Meat Co. in the morning. They haven't failed me yet.

Calling Springville Meat Co. in the morning. They haven't failed me yet.
    My wife is on bed rest right now. I try to give her a 2 to 3 hour break from the boy and me every day. If they don't have something I've got plenty of time to bring one down to you.

I'm not sure of the pros and cons, but I'd imagine that separating the two would make the brisket easier to smoke as you make it more uniform in thickness. The tip (maybe last 2-3 inches) of my flat can get dried out but I usually wouldn't serve it sliced anyway. I will typically chop it up and use it in a chopped beef sandwich with BBQ sauce.

I will typically trim quite a bit of fat between the two but I ultimately leave the flat and point together. I've never tried separating them but maybe one time I'll try it. I just think it would come out more moist and tender having them together as it would take longer to come to temp thus allowing the connective tissue and fat a longer time to "melt", but I honestly have no idea.

I obviously separate them after cooking so I can carve them up nicely since the grain of hte point usually runs perpendicular to that of the flat.

Come to Texas, we only sell decent sized briskets (you already know this obviously). I think I once cooked a 13lber that MJ found at HEB on sale for $.99 per lb. The costco here sells both flats and packers.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I'm not sure of the pros and cons, but I'd imagine that separating the two would make the brisket easier to smoke as you make it more uniform in thickness. The tip (maybe last 2-3 inches) of my flat can get dried out but I usually wouldn't serve it sliced anyway. I will typically chop it up and use it in a chopped beef sandwich with BBQ sauce.

I will typically trim quite a bit of fat between the two but I ultimately leave the flat and point together. I've never tried separating them but maybe one time I'll try it. I just think it would come out more moist and tender having them together as it would take longer to come to temp thus allowing the connective tissue and fat a longer time to "melt", but I honestly have no idea.

I obviously separate them after cooking so I can carve them up nicely since the grain of hte point usually runs perpendicular to that of the flat.
    I am going to leave them in one piece. I plan to cook over a very long period. Low and slow.

Come to Texas, we only sell decent sized briskets (you already know this obviously). I think I once cooked a 13lber that MJ found at HEB on sale for $.99 per lb. The costco here sells both flats and packers.

You forgot to mention how warm it is in Houston right now.

As noted in this thread, there are some fantastic websites out there with very detailed information, including notes, instructions, links, etc. Then the Food Network has several like this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html

Uh... Gee thanks.

As noted in this thread, there are some fantastic websites out there with very detailed information, including notes, instructions, links, etc. Then the Food Network has several like this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html

Uh... Gee thanks.
    There is an entire website practically dedicated to crappy food network recipies like that one. A couple of my favorites:

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock