The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
    This is perfect timing. I am thinking about trying my hand at brisket, for the first time, this weekend. What is the magic temp that you will pull the brisket off of the smoker?
    195-205° is what is will normally be. However, most people will tell you it is "done when it is done." Your temp probe should be a ble to slide into the brisket like a hot knife going thru butter. Then it is done.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
      195-205° is what is will normally be. However, most people will tell you it is "done when it is done." Your temp probe should be a ble to slide into the brisket like a hot knife going thru butter. Then it is done.
      Can you FTC a brisket like a pork butt and be okay? I am thinking about doing a brisket and bringing it into work with me for the guys. It would be in a cooler for 7 hours before lunch. Is that recommended?
      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Can you FTC a brisket like a pork butt and be okay? I am thinking about doing a brisket and bringing it into work with me for the guys. It would be in a cooler for 7 hours before lunch. Is that recommended?
        I have heard of FTC up to 6 hours, so I dont see why an extra hour could hurt. Not sure though.
        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Just foiled it with 1 cup of beef broth. Internal temp was right at 165°. Looking good so far...

Comment

I've heard FTC can go as long as 5 hours, but I've never seen anyone go 7. I've found that if I place the brisket in a cooler that is lined with warm towels (warm them up in the dryer) then I can go 4 hours easy without the temp falling too low. I did 5 hours once without warm towels and the temp was a bit too low when I was carving it up.

If I have to go longer than 4-5 hours I'll usually let the meat rest for an hour and then carve it up, place it into a foil pan and put it in the fridge. Then I pull it an hour or so before the meal and warm it up in the oven while spraying it with a bit of apple juice to keep it moist. The meat is fine when warmed up in an oven or even in the microwave on low. Never warm up brisket/pork in the microwave on high or you'll end up with a really weird flavor/taste since the microwave causes something in the meat to go awry at those high wattages.

If you wanted to go 7 hours you'd probably be better off keeping the brisket in a 180-190 degree oven oven for 3 hours and then pull it and place in a warm-towel-lined cooler and hold it there for 4 more hours. The trick is not letting the brisket turn to mush and then dry out, which it can do if you get it too hot.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Alrighty then....

Here is the meat just out of the foil. I foiled at 165° and checked it 2 hours later. The temp on my thermapen read 201°-208° most places and it probed like butter, so it was time to take it off the smoker.

I seperated the flat from the point using the back of my carving knife. This was a trick I learned from the BBQ-Brethren website I frequent. By using the back of the knife, you dont accidentally cut into the flat or the point. You just follow the seam of fat.

I then cubed the point to make burnt ends. The first slice of the point got my feeling good! A nice smokering.

In the pan with the cubed up point was some drippings from the brisket, bbq sauce, and more rub. Here is after 2 hours on the smoke. It was time to go to my folks house so I foiled them and off we went.

The beans and cornbread were finally done around 5:30 so I was finally able to slice the flat and serve dinner. The flat was awesome! Best I have ever done and one of the best I have ever had. It was still juicy and had a great smoke ring. It was jsut about perfect! I couldnt be happier! I am not sure if it was the quality of the meat, injecting, or what that made it so good, but everyone was pleased. It looked so nice when I sliced it, I almost got emotional...

Anyways, I am excited because I dont think I have ever smoked a really successful brisket.

Bend Test

Comment

• Looks incredible, DT. I'm craving brisket now.
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• DT knocks it out of the park. Bravo.

My last brisket was dry. These darn things can be fickle. From your photos, it looks like it was just about perfect.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• DT, did you put any extra liquid in your foil?
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      DT, did you put any extra liquid in your foil?
                      Not after I seperated the flat and the point. I probabbly could have, but didnt. It was still pretty moist.

Comment

• Also, I used Salt Lick Original on the brisket. It is very peppery. Half my family thought it was too spicy, I thought it had a nice kick, but not overly spicy. Not sure I will use it much again, but maybe mixed with other rubs to give them a bit of a kick.

Comment

• Looking at that awesomeness I'm about to get emotional!

Comment

• How long from the time that you seperated the point and sliced the flat? I gather about 3 hours or so? I assume that you FTC? My wife is wanting a few folks over this weekend and wants to give a brisket a try. I guess they will be my guinea pig before I take one to work for the fellas. That thing looks professionally done. Very nice work.
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

How long from the time that you seperated the point and sliced the flat? I gather about 3 hours or so? I assume that you FTC? My wife is wanting a few folks over this weekend and wants to give a brisket a try. I guess they will be my guinea pig before I take one to work for the fellas. That thing looks professionally done. Very nice work.
                              About 3.5-4 hours. The meat was still hot, but not as hot as say a pork butt would be after that long a time. The flat just doesnt have the mass to hold the temperature that long.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X