Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Brisket Thread

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Looks moist and tender. What happened to the bark?
    That was the underside so it wasn’t as barky but was still good. I’ve been using those large disposable roasting pan things and I lift the brisket off the bottom with cookie cooling racks (you can see the little criss cross pattern). Obviously I need to get something a little taller since the juices got high enough to reach the bottom of the brisket, thus messing up the bark a bit.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• We're having a birthday party for my dad next month. He turns 80. Sounds like the fam wants brisket.

My smoker grate measures 19.5 x 22. I went to Costco tonight, and could cook two of their brisket packs, but it would basically take up the whole cooking area. Is that a problem? Also, pickings were slim tonight, and the largest was 18.65 pounds. How much bigger do they go? I think we'll have close to 50 people.

Comment

• Yeah, nevermind. I guess my brother is doing it. I don't think he has a smoker, so it'll probably be cooked some other way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          Yeah, nevermind. I guess my brother is doing it. I don't think he has a smoker, so it'll probably be cooked some other way.
          Um, you need to intervene right away.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Yeah, nevermind. I guess my brother is doing it. I don't think he has a smoker, so it'll probably be cooked some other way.
            :yikes:
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

We're having a birthday party for my dad next month. He turns 80. Sounds like the fam wants brisket.

My smoker grate measures 19.5 x 22. I went to Costco tonight, and could cook two of their brisket packs, but it would basically take up the whole cooking area. Is that a problem? Also, pickings were slim tonight, and the largest was 18.65 pounds. How much bigger do they go? I think we'll have close to 50 people.
              You are killing me, Smalls.

18.65 lbs is a huge brisket. Typical size for a packer is 12-18 lbs.

I would be very impressed if you could squeeze two briskets on a grate that size.

Two briskets will not feed 50 people, unless they limit portion size. Brisket sandwiches would help stretch things.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I would be very impressed if you could squeeze two briskets on a grate that size.

Two briskets will not feed 50 people, unless they limit portion size. Brisket sandwiches would help stretch things.
                I measured them, and they were about 10" wide and 19" long. I just did the math. I wouldn't want to try it unless I knew others who had done the same thing with positive results. And, pretty sure we'd need a third one.

My brother does some gourmet cooking, so I'm sure he has something he wants to do that doesn't involve smokers. This whole party is a little frustrating because we seem to have several people with strong opinions of what we should "do". At least the dressing up in period clothing of our ancestors didn't make the cut.

Comment

I measured them, and they were about 10" wide and 19" long. I just did the math. I wouldn't want to try it unless I knew others who had done the same thing with positive results. And, pretty sure we'd need a third one.

My brother does some gourmet cooking, so I'm sure he has something he wants to do that doesn't involve smokers. This whole party is a little frustrating because we seem to have several people with strong opinions of what we should "do". At least the dressing up in period clothing of our ancestors didn't make the cut.

Thank heaven for small favors

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Talked to my brother and he plans to cook the brisket sous vide, and then maybe finish on my smoker. I think it's an abomination, but he's in the driver's seat, so I'll let him run with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                      [/B]

Thank heaven for small favors
                      Yes, prayers were answered.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

What he said. Unless you're doing sandwiches and everyone is only having one, and half the 50 are children, you need three. A rule of thumb is 2/3 to 1 lb uncooked per person. I'd smoke them one at a time for 3-6 hours each and wrap the first two, put them on a cookie sheet, and finish them in the oven at 200 while the last one finishes on the smoker. Sous vide is a bad idea for a number of reasons I don't have the patience to explain on a phone keyboard.
                        sigpic
                        "Outlined against a blue, gray
                        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                          What he said. Unless you're doing sandwiches and everyone is only having one, and half the 50 are children, you need three. A rule of thumb is 2/3 to 1 lb uncooked per person. I'd smoke them one at a time for 3-6 hours each and wrap the first two, put them on a cookie sheet, and finish them in the oven at 200 while the last one finishes on the smoker. Sous vide is a bad idea for a number of reasons I don't have the patience to explain on a phone keyboard.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Seems like all my neighbors have smokers too. I know I could borrow another one. But my brother is pretty head strong.

Comment

• bo diddley just sit back, relax and be excited for the opportunity to bask in his embarrassment at a small amount of poorly cooked brisket
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Sous vide brisket huh? To be honest,
                                It sounds weird but I’m willing to have someone else try it with a brisket they purchased just to see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X